Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I want to add F24 but having problems on raspberry pi install

Hi all,
    I'm Feeding to plane plotter and 360 radar & want to add F24 but I'm having problems on raspberry pi install, tried the full auto installer and the manual installation.
    I've attached an image of the ssh screen, but I'm not very good with linux so I don't know what on earth is going wrong.
    Thanks for any help.
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Wheezy is from 2014/2015 and replaced by jessie and then stretch, and finally buster

Lots of stuff will now be excluded from that library.

likely Need to update OS version if it still lets you. Or start again with a newer image base.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Thanks Oblivian,
      Not sure how to update the pi op system, it took me ages to get the thing set up and work to feed plane plotter, Phil from 360 radar jumped on it remotely to set 360 radar up for me as I just couldn't get my head around it.
      Starting again would be a very painful experience for me.

Comment

It would unfortunately seem more painful to upgrade as there is no direct path. And lots of manual work.

And requires the depreciated OS files in the middle to still be there on server as there is no rolling upgrade, need to do it 4x

Your choices seem limited to where you can feed/what you can install from here out, or a fresh base and add others again (remembering to update the OS yearly or so)
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

You really can't update such an old system.

The proper thing to do: Start with rewriting the entire sd-card with Buster Lite and set up everything.
          For less technical people there are complete images to feed FR24 or Flightaware or adsbexchange available.
          But that means you need to set up planeplotter/360 or feeds different from the feed image on your own.
          On the FR24 image that's particularly annoying and you are better off starting with a normal Raspbian image.

In your case, maybe get a 2nd pi for experimenting.
          There are resources available online how to set up the card and various feeders.
          This is a good starting point: https://forum.flightradar24.com/foru...24-data-feeder

If you have little clue about these systems you can be happy the FR24 install script didn't mess up your existing setup.
          As such if those other feeds are your priority, i would recommend not even attempting to mess with it.

You could instead of a 2nd pi get a 2nd sd-card and experiment with that.
          And once you are done for the day and it didn't work, you can pop in the old sd-card.

Comment

Thanks for both replies.
            I do have another sd card already, I think I will start building up a new op system on it, ask on the plane plotter forum how to go about setting that up without losing my feeder details associated with that account and the same for 360 radar.
            Then I will have a go at FR24 again.
            Thanks again.

Comment

(1) Which model of Raspberry Pi do you have?
              (2) Where is your Planeplotter software located, on RPi or on Windows/Mac Computer?
              Last edited by abcd567; 2020-01-28, 01:40.

Comment

Hi,
                My raspberry pi is 2 model b,
                Plane plotter software and 360 radar is on the pi, and I use plane plotter mobile or 360 radar for tracking, both on my phone,, but I started out with FR24 for tracking initially and paid for all the add ons, but that app is going to stop functioning soon so I will have to use the new app if I want to continue with it.
                I prefer FR24 for civilian aircraft tracking, and flick between 360 radar and plane plotter for military.

Comment

Originally posted by Sleightflight View Post
                  Hi,
                  My raspberry pi is 2 model b,
                  Plane plotter software and 360 radar is on the pi, and I use plane plotter mobile or 360 radar for tracking, both on my phone,, but I started out with FR24 for tracking initially and paid for all the add ons, but that app is going to stop functioning soon so I will have to use the new app if I want to continue with it.
                  I prefer FR24 for civilian aircraft tracking, and flick between 360 radar and plane plotter for military.
                  OK, great, I also have PI 2 B

Try this:
                  (1) Download Raspbian Buster LIte

(2) On a SPARE microSD card, write the downloaded Raspbian Buster image using Etcher OR Win32DiskImager.

Win32DiskImager (Windows):
                  Download Win32 Disk Imager for free. A Windows tool for writing images to USB sticks or SD/CF cards . This program is designed to write a raw disk image to a removable device or backup a removable device to a raw image file. It is very useful for embedded development, namely Arm development projects (Android, Ubuntu on Arm, etc).

Etcher: (Windows & Mac)
                  A cross-platform tool to flash OS images onto SD cards and USB drives safely and easily. Free and open source for makers around the world.

(3) Enable SSH: While the microSD card is still in the card reader of your Laptop/Desktop, in File Explorer (Windows) or Finder (Mac) click on drive letter of the microSD card (labelled boot) to open it. It will open folder /boot which has many files & few folders. In the folder /boot, create a new text file and name it ssh.

(4) Slip out microSD card from card reader, slip into RPi and power-up.

(5) This image does not have a decoder. You have to first install a decoder of your choice such as dump1090-mutability v 1.15~dev, or dump1090-fa.

Caution: Do NOT install both of following decoders. Install only one of these.

If you want to install dump1090-mutability ver 1.15~dev
                  Code:
                  sudo apt install dump1090-mutability  
                  sudo wget -O  /etc/udev/rules.d/rtl-sdr.rules "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/osmocom/rtl-sdr/master/rtl-sdr.rules"  
                  sudo reboot
                  If you want to install dump1090-fa:
                  Code:
                  wget https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages/pool/piaware/p/piaware-support/piaware-repository_3.8.0_all.deb  
                  sudo dpkg -i piaware-repository_3.8.0_all.deb  
                  sudo apt-get update  
                  sudo apt-get install dump1090-fa

(6) After installation of a decoder, install fr24feed.

(6.1) SSH into your Raspberry Pi and execute this command to install FR24 data feeder:
                  Code:
                  sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - http://repo.feed.flightradar24.com/install_fr24_rpi.sh)"

(6.2) When the above script completes installation, it will automatically start signup. This will require you to enter your details (email, sharing key, latitude, longitude, antenna height etc)

(6.3) After signup, configuration will start. It will say following:

We have detected that you already have a dump1090 instance running. We can therefore automatically configure the FR24 feeder to use existing receiver configuration, or you can manually configure all the parameters.

Would you like to use autoconfig (*yes*/no)$:
                  If you say "yes", the configuration will be done automatically.

If you say "no", following manual configuration dialogue will start. Enter values show in red below:
                  Caution: Do NOT select setting "1 - DVBT Stick (USB)​​​​​​"
                  Code:
                  1 - DVBT Stick (USB)
                   -----------------------------------------------------
                   2 - SBS1/SBS1er (USB/Network)
                   3 - SBS3 (USB/Network)
                   4 - ModeS Beast (USB/Network)
                   5 - AVR Compatible (DVBT over network, etc)
                   6 - microADSB (USB/Network)
                   7 - SBSx via Basestation (localhost:30006)

Enter your receiver type (1-7)$: [SIZE=18px][COLOR=#FF0000]4[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Step 4.2 - Please select connection type:

1 - Network connection
                   2 - USB directly to this computer

Enter your connection type (1-2)$: [SIZE=16px][B][COLOR=#FF0000]1[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Step 4.3A - Please enter your receiver's IP address/hostname
                  $: [SIZE=16px][B][COLOR=#FF0000]127.0.0.1[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Step 4.3B - Please enter your receiver's data port number
                  $: [SIZE=16px][B][COLOR=#FF0000]30005[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE]

Step 5.1 - Would you like to enable RAW data feed on port 30334 (yes/no)$: [B][COLOR=#FF0000][SIZE=16px]no[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Step 5.2 - Would you like to enable Basestation data feed on port 30003 (yes/no)$: [B][COLOR=#FF0000][SIZE=16px]no[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

Step 6 - Please select desired logfile mode:
                  0 - Disabled
                  1 - 48 hour, 24h rotation
                  2 - 72 hour, 24h rotation
                  Select logfile mode (0-2)$: 1
                  (4) Restart fr24feed
                  Code:
                  sudo systemctl restart fr24feed
                  To view STATUS: Type following address in your browser, and status page will appear:
                  ip-of-pi:8754
                  (ip-of-pi will be something like 192.168.0.21)

To view or change SETTINGS: Type following address in your browser, and settings page will appear:
                  ip-of-pi:8754/settings.html
                  (ip-of-pi will be something like 192.168.0.21)

Instructions to install 360 Radar and Planeplotter on RPi will be given in next post tomorrow (busy right now with other important work)
                  Last edited by abcd567; 2020-01-29, 07:39.

Comment

That's superb, don't rush on the next step as I doubt I will be able to start doing anything until the weekend anyway, I work average 13 hour days and normally up around 4 or 5 in the morning so most things get done at weekends.
                    Thanks for the excellent tutorial. P

Comment

I just got a raspberry pi4 installed with the image. Did I do this wrong? Do I need to install an OS first on the SD card?

Comment

Guide you can use if you want: https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-wi...ADS-B-receiver

You're not really saying what you did and what your issue is .... thus i'll just link a guide i know works.

Comment

Sorry, I forgot about this thread.
                          I got a new op system all up and running quite some time ago, all my feeds have been running great since.
                          Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                          X