Poor radar coverage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor radar coverage

Hi there. New to FR24 and this forum. I have recently set up my FR24 here and while it is working/feeding data, the radar coverage is extremely poor - 7nm. I am using a flightaware 1090 antenna (from amazon) with SMA/MCX adapter and DVBT USB stick. Total coax length is 20-24 inches. I have a duplicate and completely separate setup running with FlightAware on the same pole mounted outside that consistently has a range > 200 nm. I have swapped antenna with no change in performance to the FR24 system. Looking for any thoughts/suggestions. Thank you.

Sma vs rp-sma.

Check cable and outlet and you may find both sides have no pin...
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

What make and spec is your DVB-T receiver? You're using an MCX/SMA asapter which makes me think the problem is the receiver.
      Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

OK....Thank you both. Oblivian you were correct. I am not too familiar with the SMA connect but did initially notice that neither the male nor female had a center pin but assumed this was correct. I press-fitted a suitable gauge wire creating a center pin which allowed me to keep the existing connectors. Range is now approaching 200 nm. Thank you for your assistance. FYI, Anmer the dongle was purchased from the FR24 website directly.

Comment

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SMA AND RP-SMA

The SMA-male has center pin. The reverse SMA (RP-SMA) male does NOT have a center pin, it has a hole.

Difference Between SMA and RP-SMA.jpg

TEMPORARY WORKAROUND

The SMA-female does not have center pin. The reverse SMA (RP-SMA) male also does not have a center pin, it has a hole. The center wire connection is open because of missing pin. A temporary workaround is to cut a short piece of center wire of coax and insert in hole of RP-SMA male. This piece of wire will act as the missing pin, and connection will be established.

RP-SMA Workaround.jpg

Comment

Working...
          X