Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• petercr
    replied
    Wayne, I'm in Narangba and when I was running a home-built CoCo antenna (using RG6 coax) that was mounted above the tv antenna, I was typically getting around 120-140Nm.

EDIT: I'm now using a proper Flightaware antenna and one of their Prosticks with 50 Ohm coax all the way and on a good day, I can get up to 220Nm to the north (past Gladstone out to sea) with flights from NZ to China.
    Interesting side-note though - since we've had that rain and the trees have got more foliage on them, I've been lucky to get 200Nm to the north.Wayne, I'm in Narangba and when I was running a home-built CoCo antenna (using RG6 coax) that was mounted above the tv antenna, I was typically getting around 120-140Nm.

EXTRA edit: the VR capture was done at 9am just after I accidentally reset the range plot
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• bribiewayne
    replied
    Thank you Captain

Take care

Wayne

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    Originally posted by bribiewayne View Post
    I have shown my coordinates in case someone can help get a range reading

Lat -27.0675 Lon 153.131 Height 25 ft above ground (in centre of iron roof.

Wayne
    Yellow curve for planes at 10,000 feet elevation
    Blue curve for planes at 40,000 feet elevation

https://www.heywhatsthat.com/?view=MFX6FD7A

Wayne - heywhatsthat.jpg
    Last edited by abcd567; 2020-01-25, 00:24.

Leave a comment:

• bribiewayne
    replied
    Hello All
    Well the "project" is complete and appears working better than previous one. I'm still only showing 86 nm. I tried what Captain abcd567 suggested but got confusing results.
    I have shown my coordinates in case someone can help get a range reading

Lat -27.0675 Lon 153.131 Height 25 ft above ground (in centre of iron roof.

Thanks in advance

Wayne

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    What is length (from antenna up to dvbt) and model/make of coax?
    Last edited by abcd567; 2020-01-21, 01:26.

Leave a comment:

• bribiewayne
    replied
    Hello, Installed new antenna, and now coverage has dropped to 24nm. Do I have to make changes in FR24 directory on my Pi ????
    Only a temporary install on roof at moment, but will make permanent if figures pick up.
    Thanks, Wayne

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    bribiewayne:
    You can determine what maximum range you can get using the method given in this post:

What is the Maximum Range I can Get?

Leave a comment:

• wiedehopf
    replied
    ADS-B is basically line of sight.

So once you can see the horizon, further height is of little benefit.
    Overlooking nearby houses and trees is of definite benefit.

Leave a comment:

• bribiewayne
    replied
    Morning All
    Have completed my antenna as per specs, and will mount in next few days. Just a question, is there an ideal height for the antenna - I am 70km from BNE/YBBN so is it critical???
    I daren't post a photo of item as my Trades Teacher from school would probably turn in his grave.
    Had a lot of fun building the "Thing" so thanks to all involved
    Happy journeys
    bribiewayne

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    Originally posted by bribiewayne View Post
    Hello All

Well the materials are ready to go, but I must ask a question - In wiedehopf's cheap antenna project, why is there a 1.8cm length of coax, then a joiner then more coax??? Or is this to attach to the mount (blue plastic lid)????
    Could I mount the antenna on say a 3m plastic pole and run the coax straight to the receiver (one continuous run of cable)????
    The blue lid was my mounting platform. I used to frequently test varaious antenna designs. I simply unscrewed one antenna and fitted another keeping coax run undisturbed. This will be clear from photos below.

If you are not interchanging antennas then a continous jointless length of coax with antenna built on one end and other end terminated in dvbt is better.

Standard Cantenna 480x640.jpg

Franklin Spider.jpg

Quick Spider-2.jpg

Leave a comment:

• wiedehopf
    replied
    I had a typo in there: Note that the connector is not necessary and can be omitted if you wish, the antenna can just be the end of the coax.

The 18 cm is an irrelevant dimension, you don't need to build it with a connector.
    As usual with antennas, only where you split up the shield and the core is where the antenna "begins".

Leave a comment:

• bribiewayne
    replied
    Hello All

Well the materials are ready to go, but I must ask a question - In wiedehopf's cheap antenna project, why is there a 1.8cm length of coax, then a joiner then more coax??? Or is this to attach to the mount (blue plastic lid)????
    Could I mount the antenna on say a 3m plastic pole and run the coax straight to the receiver (one continuous run of cable)????
    And Oblivian you are on the money - 200 mils of rain here, but very welcome - Antenna problems not as important.
    Happy 2020 to all
    bribiewayne

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    320mm of rain in 24hrs.. yeah there will be a few in that pain.

The antenna, may not be specifically tuned also. But the diy/62mm test should prove that.

Leave a comment:

• bribiewayne
    replied
    Thank you all for your ideas offered up. BTW I am in AUSTRALIA (that big bit of dirt down there). The DIY antenna looks like it's for me - can put some electronics knowledge to use.
    I think captain wiedehopf's suggestion on water entry is probably right on the money. Looks like a trip to outer space is called for and burial of one antenna.
    I've got all the bits to build antenna, so will get a pushback and ther you go.
    Thanks all, nice to have a ready source of answers.
    Wayne - luggage handler.

Leave a comment:

• wiedehopf
    replied
    There are also good guides on the forum for building your own antenna from some satellite TV coax (RG6)

This would be quite a bit cheaper probably

https://forum.flightradar24.com/foru...g-no-connector

Note that the connector is not necessary and can be omitted if you wish, the antenna can just be the end of the coax.
    Obviously you want to put epoxy glue or maybe better, window silicone on the end of the coax to avoid any water ingress.
    Last edited by wiedehopf; 2020-01-20, 07:22.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X