Data Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Data Question

Looking at the data table on the Dump1090-fa screen I see the data in the attached image

According to the key at the bottom most data is ADS-B which I expect as I have an ADS-B receiver, however the blue highlighted data is shown as Other.

Where is this data coming from, and why is the speed and heading data missing?

Mode-S
    The under-laying technology within ADSB (adsb isn't a thing, but more a term covering many broadcast technologies used)

The diffeence, is no GPS input for position data.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second...e_radar#Mode_S

The dead giveaway is the heading at the top total vs 'with positions'
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

OK Thanks!
      So the Mode-S data is still transmitted using the same transmitter/frequency/coding as the ADS-B data... just not connected to a GPS?

Comment

Yes. More or less:

Mode-C = signal from spinning SSR at airport, triggers reply from aircraft (we dont see)
        Mode-S = Broadcasts out without interrogation FROM aircraft - HEX code assigned, transmits Alt/Speed
        ADSB = Mode-S+GPS (mode-s Extended Squitter (more data))

http://web.mit.edu/6.933/www/Fall2000/mode-s/today.html
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Mode-S and Mode-C transponders are both interrogated by radars.
          Mode-S transponders will also send out extra DF11 messages without interrogation (squitter).

Comment

OK thanks very much for the replies....sorry but I now have one more question...

So the aircraft with Modes-S that I am receiving, do not plot on my Dump1090-FA map, obviously because they dont have a GPS position.... But yet I can see those aircraft positions being plotted on the Flightradar24 map... how does FR24 know the position?

Comment

Originally posted by kiwiandy View Post
              OK thanks very much for the replies....sorry but I now have one more question...

So the aircraft with Modes-S that I am receiving, do not plot on my Dump1090-FA map, obviously because they dont have a GPS position.... But yet I can see those aircraft positions being plotted on the Flightradar24 map... how does FR24 know the position?

The other column listed in yours. MLAT

https://www.flightradar24.com/how-it-works

Comment

Perfect.. thanks very much

Comment

Sorry, but one more question.....)
                  How does DUMP1090-fa know what the size aircraft is and what image size to use?
                  2019-12-11 13_53_18-PiAware Skyview - 7_10 - Brave.png2019-12-11 13_53_18-PiAware Skyview - 7_10 - Brave.png

Comment

The same way fr24 does (in how it works)

None of that info is from planes. (Incl registration)

It looks up online databases. Where you can hold a database with the details and match it with hex code.

Comment

Yeah that makes sense! thanks again

Comment

Working...
                      X