log aircraft seen to a file?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• log aircraft seen to a file?

I want to be able to log all aircraft that are seen by my receiver, along with tail no etc. Is there an option to do this?

So is the answer to my question so blindingly obvious, or is it not that easy?

Comment

Hi, I'm running the Windows version of fr24feed on my Win10 machine at home, had the "Feeder Tracked Aircraft" webpage open the other day and saw an aircraft displayed there that interested me. It disappeared before I could note down the details, and wasn't showing on the FR24 website (no lat/long). I have logging

Comment

Thanks for the link, very interesting, but I should have said in my original question that I'm running on a Raspberry Pi, and I use a Mac.. dont have windows

Comment

Putty has a mOX port by the way.. unsure if telnet still works the same however

The alternate I mentioned is java based. But complex to setup.

Virtual radar server also has a macOS port http://www.virtualradarserver.co.uk/download.aspx (built on java)

That has addons that can do logging

But you may not get everything in 1 go. As alluded to in your other question thread, the plane only sends

MSG,4,111,11111,7C6B12,111111,2019/12/13,21:13:08.000,2019/12/13,21:13:08.000,,,458.1,39.6,,,0,,0,0,0,0
          MSG,3,111,11111,C82269,111111,2019/12/13,21:13:08.000,2019/12/13,21:13:08.000,,37975,,,-43.57503,171.70692,,,0,0,0,0
          MSG,8,111,11111,C8200A,111111,2019/12/13,21:13:08.000,2019/12/13,21:13:08.000,,,,,,,,,0,0,0,0
          MSG,3,111,11111,C81E27,111111,2019/12/13,21:13:07.000,2019/12/13,21:13:07.000,,12675,,,-43.16286,172.71971,,,0,0,0,0

It also needs something that can find the bold bit and match it with a record of the type/registration and so on to fill in the gaps
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

So if I use the Telnet (telnet 192.168.1.43 30003)
            I can get the msgs as posted above, is there a linux command that will let me direct this output to a file so I can analyse later?
            or even better save on my mac as i am remotely logged into my Pi using bash?

Comment

Data is saved in the .json files in Pi's following folder:

If you have dump1090-mutability, files are in folder "/run/dump1090-mutability"

If you have dump1090-fa, files are in folder​"/run/dump1090-fa​​​​​​"

Read data:

Code:
              cat /run/dump1090-mutability/aircraft.json

## OR

cat /run/dump1090-fa/aircraft.json

The old files get deleted on reboot of Pi, and fresh files are then created.
              Last edited by abcd567; 2020-02-01, 00:29.

Comment

Coupe has been updating if you want to get super technical
                GitHub is where people build software. More than 100 million people use GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 420 million projects.

I use an older version (my dbase is up to 20Gb now!) to create fancy logging pages that can be searched and so on

Attached Files
                Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

There's a ADSBSQLite version that I was playing with. It didn't like multiple clients using it, as it kind of slowed way down. But just as a program to save data it might be useful as a start to modifying it (source code is there). I went back to MySQL which is designed for many clients. I know MySQL is not easy to setup though.

GitHub is where people build software. More than 100 million people use GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 420 million projects.

P.S. The date and time in the tables is just a "long" integer in UTC time. Most computer languages can convert this to a more readable timestamp.
                  Last edited by coupe; 2020-02-03, 07:11.

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                    Coupe has been updating if you want to get super technical

I use an older version (my dbase is up to 20Gb now!) to create fancy logging pages that can be searched and so on
                    Your version is a little more sophisticated, ha, as I believe you are using local time. I think the latest is now only UTC time again.

Comment

One of the bad things about the Raspberry Pi is that it normally just uses a SD card. You can only write to those things for awhile, and then they self-destruct.

The workaround is to use a USB hard drive, and modify the bootup to use the harddrive. Then you can write without worries. (use google search)

Another way is to create a network mount to your Desktop or Server and then store the data on the mounted filesystem.

I have a NAS storage system that uses the ODROID HC2 so, like a RPi it can run MySQL or other database and store the data on the local harddrive, and then I can mount that on my Workstation. The SD card is just used for booting and normal OS stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by coupe View Post

Your version is a little more sophisticated, ha, as I believe you are using local time. I think the latest is now only UTC time again.
                        Hurts the server calc times a little, but saved as GMT. I just pull to local on display

$userSubmittedTimezoneString="NZ";
                        $userTimezone = new DateTimeZone($userSubmittedTimezoneString);
                        $gmtTimezone = new DateTimeZone('GMT');
                        $myDateTime = new DateTime($LOGROW['utcfadeout'], $gmtTimezone);
                        $offset = $userTimezone->getOffset($myDateTime);
                        $myNewDate = date('d-m', $myDateTime->format('U') + $offset);
                        $myNewTime = date('H:i', $myDateTime->format('U') + $offset);

Comment

I thought is was just to grep on the fr24feed logfile to get the latest aircrafts seen but that seems to be wrong. The logfile the IACO-code only sometimes son it is not that useful.
                          So, where to find the correct data? aircraft.json?

This little script just puts time and aircraft in a textfile that is readable on local web server:

Code:
                          #/bin/bash

now_date=`/bin/date +%F`
                          now_time=`/bin/date +%R`
                          space=" "

echo $now_date$space$now_time > /var/www/html/fr24.txt
                          echo "" >> /var/www/html/fr24.txt
                          echo "DATUM TID IACO" >> /var/www/html/fr24.txt
                          echo "--------------------------" >> /var/www/html/fr24.txt
                          # 2021-03-01 10:14:34 4AC9E8
                          more /var/log/fr24feed/fr24feed.log | grep -F $now_date | grep -F "[mlat][i] " | awk '{print $1, $2, $5}' >> /var/www/html/fr24.txt

Comment

Originally posted by folkeorg View Post
                            I thought is was just to grep on the fr24feed logfile to get the latest aircrafts seen but that seems to be wrong. The logfile the IACO-code only sometimes son it is not that useful.
                            So, where to find the correct data? aircraft.json?

This little script just puts time and aircraft in a textfile that is readable on local web server:
                            You seem to be complicating things or trying to use the limited tools that come with FR24feed bundle when the likelyhood is you need extra software as outlined in use in this thread, or the or additional bundles as part of scripts we have been recommending add as extra value.

So lets clear some things up right now

What columns/data do you want to see a list of. - Very little comes from the aircraft itself. Hex, Callsign (if entered), Altitude, GPS Position (if any), Speed, heading

Anything else, Is gathered from internet sources, local maintained data files (like basestation.sqb) or calculated (distance and so on)

Are you wanting a CURRENT log of what you are 'seeing'
                            - Have you clicked on the built in list 'show tracked Aircraft' list in the :8754 FR24 status web page ON YOUR Pi (which lists HEX, Callsign and position data) of your received data
                            This is live and does what you are trying to achieve using grep above
                            - Have you opened SkyView which is with Dump1090-FA which we have recommended installing. Which is only your OWN data received (and MLAT ones from FA if enabled) with downloaded info from internet to be more valuable

Or a historic built up log over time
                            - This needs 3rd party apps per tools outlined earlier in thread
                            - Fr24feed can't do it native

Comment

This may help

Dump1090 MySQL Database Script with Alert and Filter

Comment

Working...
                              X