Two feeds in the same Raspberry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HF_ATL View Post
    So do you advise me to run those command lines at this stage?
    I've run "sudo rm /etc/lighttpd/conf-enabled/89-dump1090.conf", "sudo systemctl restart lighttpd" only.
    No, please now do NOT run the commands I have suggested. These should have been run BEFORE running the 2 receiver script.

And you're right, I had dump1090-mutability before, that's why I got that issue... you really should add those command lines in the step by step tutorial to avoid this issue happening to other users. For anyone who lacks experience in linux environment like me that additional information will make big difference.
    The instructions on Github page clearly say step 1 to be "write Raspbian image" and then run the bash script. If this instruction is followed, there will be nothing to remove, and removal commands are not needed.

Originally posted by two-receivers
    1) Write Raspbian image to microSD card, enable SSH, enable WiFi (if needed), Power-up

(2) Serialize dongles as follows

(3) Run the following bash command:

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
      Most people don't feel the need to run 2 copies or uninstall dump1090. So it only adds to people running it, without knowing the consequences. And making more of a mess
      The instructions dont juat say "run the bash script". It tells first step is to write a raspbian image, and then run the script.

If people ignore the very first step in the guide,then they should not blame the script or the guide.

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
        The instructions dont juat say "run the bash script". It tells first step is to write a raspbian image, and then run the script.

If people ignore the very first step in the guide,then they should not blame the script or the guide.
        I'm not blaming the steps/instructions you wrote. In fact you write step by step much more clearly than what can be seen on other websites or youtube videos. I'm just saying that since there are two different decoders some people will find themselves installing one without removing all traces of the other. This is specially true when you config the system and re-configure it (if you need to add something else like another receiver) at a later stage.

Comment

My situation is that I have two different antennas in different locations on my house. To take the most advantage of covering area I decided to use two FR24 accounts. Otherwise I needed to run two Pi's with more energy wasted for no benefit. This way I can contribute more to FR24 feeding.
          You can have both stations on the same account, just like flightaware.

To get a 2nd sharing key you just run sudo fr24feed --signup with the same email address but without putting in the sharing key you already have.
          For FA if you don't have a feeder id configured anywhere, there will be a new one autogenerated which you can claim to add to your existing account.

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
            You can have both stations on the same account, just like flightaware.

To get a 2nd sharing key you just run sudo fr24feed --signup with the same email address but without putting in the sharing key you already have.
            For FA if you don't have a feeder id configured anywhere, there will be a new one autogenerated which you can claim to add to your existing account.
            Thanks for the info!
            I thought that for each account you are given one specific sharing key only.

Comment

I'm not blaming the steps/instructions you wrote. In fact you write step by step much more clearly than what can be seen on other websites or youtube videos. I'm just saying that since there are two different decoders some people will find themselves installing one without removing all traces of the other. This is specially true when you config the system and re-configure it (if you need to add something else like another receiver) at a later stage.
              OK, I will add instructions for using a clean image without any previous install, and will also mention that if someone has installed one type of dump1090 and want to switch to the other type of dump1090, he has to write the Raspbian image again.

Writing Raspbian image again is the fool-proof and headache-free method. Even with commands to remove one type of dump1090 is not fool-proof as even with these cleanup commands, something written/installed by script may still remain unremoved, and running the script again will create duplicate entries and failure.
              Last edited by abcd567; 2019-10-24, 19:47.

Comment

Thanks for the info!
                I thought that for each account you are given one specific sharing key only.
                That is designed for different locations. With different gps coords.

If you have 1 location, the best method is combine the data.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
                Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                  That is designed for different locations. With different gps coords.

If you have 1 location, the best method is combine the data.
                  You can't do MLAT with combine data from two dongles.
                  So two stations with the same coords are actually preferable.

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
                    You can't do MLAT with combine data from two dongles.
                    So two stations with the same coords are actually preferable.
                    This is exactly the reason which prompted me to develop the method to create & run two completely independent and data-wise isolated stations on same RPi.

OPTION 1 of 2: With dump1090-mutability

OPTION 2 of 2: With dump1090-fa
                    Last edited by abcd567; 2019-10-24, 20:51.

Comment

I think toward resulting data. And how it may effect results/my account.

To me, mlat is a bonus additional thing to supply in some situations, but not a necessity. (Theres always other feeders)
                      And wouldn't actually send multiple streams of mlat-able info (if at all) from a single location/ip/datasource if there was any chance of adding further jitter delays to one or the other subset of data.

They've said the server uses latest timed standard data in most cases. But the mlat implimentation hasn't been laid out other than the apparent? - it's a lot slower and server side and presumably performed different to the other sites. So how do we know if we are helping or hindering in situations where people are fiddling with multiple mlat (or standard) streams?

I imaging to most feeders other than the errors the status screen produce, mlat would likely be second in line to ensuring they get a free feeding account.

Simplicity over technical workarounds for little gain.

But that's just me. And clearly I'm alone on it.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
                      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Oblivian:
                        The FR24 does not provide MLAT results feed back to dump1090 map, so what you said is right.

The FA does provide MLAT results feedback to dump1090 and it is that feedback which will be stopped by FA servers when the detect the user's feed is a combined feed of two or more receivers. The mlat planes will disappear from user's dump1090 map.

Comment

HF_ATL:

Since you have initially run script for dump1090-mutability, then uninstalled dump1090-mutability, you think it is completely removed. Just give these two commands to confirm both instances of dump1090-mutability are removed. If both removed, you shall get responce "service not found" for both, else "service not found" for one and "failed" for other.

Code:
                          sudo systemctl status dump1090-mutability

sudo systemctl status dump1090-mutability2

Comment

Removing /etc/lighttpd is just a bad idea.
                            Removing the dump1090 file from there is perfectly sufficient.

All removing that directory is gonna do is cause trouble.
                            If you want a fresh system use a fresh system, but i really don't understand removing that folder.

In relation to dump1090, there is exactly one file that needs to be removed.
                            Removing the /usr/share/dum1090-mutability directory is also completely irrelevant.

Removing the dump1090-mutability package is a good idea if it's still installed.
                            But if the service is disabled and there is no autostart it doesn't matter either.

Comment

Instead of getting into all this complication of what to remove and what not, and still having some garbage left over, it is much cleaner and easier to re-image microSD card and start with a clean setup.

I dont understand why people do not like to re-image when it is very easy and gives the cleanest install.

Comment

While you might not understand why people want to keep their current install, their is no need to ask them to delete the whole /etc/lighttpd folder.
                                As stated previously it's asking for trouble.

And apart from dump1090-mutability starting because it's still installed, the only other problem i know of is that single file that needs to be removed when switching.
                                All other files are irrelevant and don't stop dump1090-fa from working.

Comment

Working...
                                X