• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• abcd567
    replied
    Oblivian

Revised posts (1 & 3) of following thread:
    (updated, and substantially trimmed by removing repetitive parts)

Raspberry Pi:How To Install Raspian OS + Dump1090 + FR24 Data Feeder

Is it possible to delete an intervening, unimportant, and outdated post #2 by a user SBSer? This will bring related posts #1 & #3 in continuation.

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
    Is this one still a thing?

The automated installation scripts are written by Joe Prochazka. https://github.com/jprochazka/adsb-receiver This method will NOT work with an existing installation. It requires a fresh install on a blank formatted microSD Card. Format microSD Card Download and unzip latest Raspbian operating System from http://raspberrypi

Or is it covered enough elsewhere

(searching for 'activation' and pruning a few short threads that are old/out of date)
    This is outdated as the author of adsb-receiver (j prochazka) is not regularly updating his code.

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    Is this one still a thing?

The automated installation scripts are written by Joe Prochazka. https://github.com/jprochazka/adsb-receiver This method will NOT work with an existing installation. It requires a fresh install on a blank formatted microSD Card. Format microSD Card Download and unzip latest Raspbian operating System from http://raspberrypi

Or is it covered enough elsewhere

(searching for 'activation' and pruning a few short threads that are old/out of date)

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    I should probably run the activation page myself one day to see what it does/asks for.

Does it even give the opportunity to enter past details or blanket give a new one and then ask for email to associate it to.

If it's the latter, even having previous details on hand may not go

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
    Done. Please check again.
    You don't have to listen to me by the way

Just bouncing ideas. If you don't agree, shrug me off

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    Would the 'if you already had a key' disclaimer be better at the top of the activation (and the warning this may fail) section?
    Done. Please check again.

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    Would the 'if you already had a key' disclaimer be better at the top of the activation (and the warning this may fail) section?

I know lots use the image over and over as an easy out to fixing things they dont understand or when there was a failure. Of course incrementing the ID

And if one doesn't read-ahead (personally I read instructions as a whole to get a feel of where its going then start step by step) and does line by line they may do the old put part a into part b....

Under no circumstances

DOH!

scenario.

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    Have a look at this thread: "2019 - PI24 (Image) QuickStart Guide".
    I have rearranged it and rewritten/revised some parts

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    But can we account for every partial edit/change users might have got a 'tip' for or google-fix that try to apply it to un-break stuff and ensure it doesn't error out
    Normal & Error messages (stdout and stderr)are by default output to PuTTY window.

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    It's the sort of thing you would want to look out for key error words and do a !halt while outputting the current 'whats been done log' to that point (or produce nice formatted output and stop when it hits one)

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    Oh, I have no doubt much like wiedehopfs it'd likely work on a clean base.

But can we account for every partial edit/change users might have got a 'tip' for or google-fix that try to apply it to un-break stuff and ensure it doesn't error out

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    Automation! I like automation

If 20 steps can be (flawlessly) cut down to 1-2 lines. It takes the 'OMG SCARY' factor and potential to go wrong away from end users.

The downside, if it does go wrong. There can be a whoooole lot more reasons for it to try solve
    It will be interesting if you try yourself to see if it is flawless or not:

(1) Burn Pi24 to microSD card, then run its bash command I have posted above

(2) Burn Raspbian Buster to microSD card and run its bash script I have posted above.

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    Automation! I like automation

If 20 steps can be (flawlessly) cut down to 1-2 lines. It takes the 'OMG SCARY' factor and potential to go wrong away from end users.

The downside, if it does go wrong. There can be a whoooole lot more reasons for it to try solve

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
    1.15 prebuilt is only available on Buster though, correct?
    Oh abcd567 is offering a precompiled package for stretch, right?
    The dump1090-mutability ver 1.15~dev package I have built and uploaded to my Github site is compatible to both Stretch & Buster.

It can be installed on Raspbian image (Stretch & Buster) by following bash script:
    Code:
    sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/abcd567a/dump1090/master/install_dump1090_mut_1.15.sh)"

It can be installed on Pi24 image (current Stretch, future Buster) to replace ver 1.14 by following bash command
    Code:
    sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/abcd567a/dump1090/master/PI24_replace_dump1090_v1.14_by_v1.15.sh)"
    Both the above bash commands are comprehensive and user does not have to issue any other command.
    Last edited by abcd567; 2019-07-22, 10:31.

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    Like, if all the different dump solutions were in a single

At least if you suggest to someone to try the alternate method, it wouldn't need to be re-pasted all over. Just refer the alternate one

It's hard to gauge at what level would get themselves to.

Or which alternate feeders would like to be added. I too swing toward a standard base + addons as required. But thats out of reach for some levels

So the pi24 mods are still required for those who get braver

I dunno. Thinking too hard lol

No easy way out. But it does seem to be common errors arising, and when you ask what was done to get to that point its 'I can't recall which thread' (or impatiently raced ahead instead of halting there and then)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X