No announcement yet.

Very Dim Newbie v What Am I Seeing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well this is great. Not only have I got a lovely column of rssi but I also now have an inbuilt gain button

I know this is old hat to you gurus but I really like this black magic.

I am now going to go on a forum search (using the new commands above) and see if I can find out why my graph says my maximum range in 24 hours was 227.4nm but my FR24 statistics says 219. Of course, I am pleased with both but I'm always up for a bit of learning.

abcd567: do you know if the overlaying of the maximum range circles works okay? I've seen your instructions on how to do it and it looks like another clever thing to add to my map but there were a few comments saying the map didn't work afterwards so I don't want to muck up all the good stuff I have at the moment if there's something that is not quite right.

Attached Files

Comment

Do you have Pi24 image (downloaded from FR24) or Raspbian image (downloaded from raspberrypi site).

If it is Pi24, then gain button setting will be over-written at restart of fr24feed and reboot of RPi by the gain setting in "Process arguments" field of:

IP:8754/settings.html.

Even if you remove --gain xx from there, at restart/reboot it will reset gain to default 49.6

That gain button embeded im map works ok only if you have burned Raspbian image from raspbertypi foundation, then installed (1) dump1090-mutability and (2) fr24feed
      Last edited by abcd567; 2019-06-12, 10:54.

Comment

I have the Pi24 image.

The FR24 statistics show yesterday (11 June UTC) as being a max range of 219. So far, today (12 June UTC) I have a max range of 151.

Looking at the Last 6 Hours ADSB max range graph, below, it seems to me the max range was achieved at around 0010. I would have thought the 227nm target seen in the Dump1090 graph would show up on FR24's statistics for today but it hasn't so far.

Thanks for the thoughts on the embedded gain button. I haven't touched it yet but I'll have a bit of a play with it later. As I didn't load the programs in the way you said then I don't expect it will work but that's not a problem. It came up correctly and told me I have -10 and a gain of 49.6, so that is correct, with --gain -10 set in FR24 settings. If it doesn't work very well then at least I know there's nothing wrong with the computer, antenna etc but just the fact that I took the easy way out when I loaded my ADSB tracking software
        Attached Files

Comment

There is some consistency requirements that dump1090 will log every broken signal for. Fr24 will not so read shorter

Also the map you see may have a different GPS position than fr24 thinks if you entered the location in decimal and got rounded vs what it expected

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

There is some consistency requirements that dump1090 will log every broken signal for. Fr24 will not so read shorter
            That makes sense and is probably the reason.

I did zoom right in on my Dump1090 map and see that my position is about 40m away across the road. Now, that's obviously not going to account for the discrepancy in the ADSB max ranges but it doesn't sit well with my OCD nature and I'm trying to reset it so it is bang on. I've set my coordinates to 8 decimal places in FR24 settings, so I don't think it is that. I do think it is a result of rounding and my research, so far, shows there is something in one of the files that can be edited to show the exact lat/lon. So, the next stage is to go to abcd567's instructions for setting up the map and seeing if I can modify the file.

I'm going in blind and clueless

Comment

Should only be 3 digits.

And you can view them in your subscription details with 'view corrdinates' and then copy that into maps.google.com and see how far off it is.
              Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

I had a look in the FR24 subscription details and my coordinates are spot on. When I clicked on them it took me to a Google map and it was bang over my antenna.

The Dump1090 map is the one that is off a bit. I thought it would take the same information from the FR24 settings and plot it in the same position.

I did try and find this piece of advice from searching on the WWW but there is no JSON.... in the config that I can find:

This will be the JSON_LOCATION_ACCURACY setting in the dump1090-mutability config. It defaults to rounding your receiver location somewhat. If you’re happy with giving out an exact position to anyone with access to your map, set it to “exact”.
                The colourful map is the correct one (Google), the Open Street map is off by a bit.
                Attached Files

Comment

Dump 1090 can be reconfigured using command and re-enter co-ordinate or edit the .conf

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

The process arguments field is where you can stuff extra dump1090-mutabilitiy options.

Try adding:
                    Code:
                    --json-location-accuracy 2
                    then restart fr24feed.

The location should show accurately.

And no the gain button can't work and it shouldn't display correctly which gain is set either.
                    But you already have the a website to set gain, so you don't need that.

Maximum range discrepancy can either be different requirements on the number of positions required unit it counts as "max range".
                    Or it's just the fact that the graphs use a rolling 24h window, while the FR24 24h stats reset with the start of every day and start counting up fresh.

Comment

You're a star. I inserted the command and now the Dump1090 map shows the correct position when I zoom in. I will sleep easy tonight knowing my OCD demon has been satisfied

The reasons for the range discrepancies make sense (as do Oblivian's). I'm really quite happy with the distances I'm getting and won't be touching the gain button. It does make my screen look good though

Cheers guys

Comment

Hey there knowledgeable people, a very easy one for your today: what language/code are these programs written in? I've tried to compare them to Python, C, C++ & Java (because that is what the Raspberry Pi for dummies talks about) but I can't really tell which language it is. All of this tinkering has re-kindled an interest I had when I learnt BASIC at school and used punched cards to run the programs. I think things have moved on since then but I wouldn't mind learning a bit, instead of typing nano and sudo etc without having a clue what I'm doing.

Apart from that, Google has been busy today trying to tell me how to (simply) access my network (and therefore my Pi & Dump1090 things) when I'm away from home working.....as that's what I normally do

Comment

Which programs?

Anyway you can try learning a proper editor first, nano isn't that great.
                          Does the command

vimtutor

work for you?
                          You might have to
                          sudo apt install vim

I suppose there is also syntax highlighting for nano if you really don't want to deal with vim

Edit: I'm guessing you might be looking at script.js in the html portion of dump1090-mutability?
                          That's javascript and runs in the browser.

The console/shell you are using is called bash.

graphs1090:
                          The install script for my graphs for example is a bash script.
                          The plugin for collectd then uses python. (data collection)
                          The script to create the images is again a bash script.

dump1090-mutability is written in C (the main program, not the webinterface)
                          (https://github.com/mutability/dump1090)
                          Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-06-13, 07:09.

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
                            Which programs?

dump1090-mutability is written in C (the main program, not the webinterface)
                            (https://github.com/mutability/dump1090)
                            I'm guessing PaulSS is talking about programs such as:

demod_2400.c
                            demod_2400.h
                            dump1090.c
                            dump1090.h

I've wondered too about the xxxx.c and xxxx.h. You said it was C, and I figured it was that or Python.

Comment

Working...
                            X