Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 - PI24 (Image) QuickStart Guide

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    The Pi3B+ seems to be working

    [ ok ] FR24 Feeder/Decoder Process: running.

    [ ok ] FR24 Stats Timestamp: 2019-11-24 20:30:55.

    [ ok ] FR24 Link: connected [UDP].

    [ ok ] FR24 Radar: T-xxxx. I didn't know if this was something "secure" so I x'd out some of the info

    [ ok ] FR24 Tracked AC: 7.

    [ ok ] Receiver: connected (5661 MSGS/0 SYNC).

    [ ok ] FR24 MLAT: ok [UDP].

    [ ok ] FR24 MLAT AC seen: 7.

    I've searched and I don't see anything about using a PI4. It has built in WiFi and it would be pretty convenient to use.
    When I log into my account on FR24 there's nothing under backslash data-sharing.
    I haven't lost my key but I was going to double check it and the link in this thread to do that is dead, kind of like this thread seems to be.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Mike6158 View Post
      The Pi3B+ seems to be working

      [ ok ] FR24 Feeder/Decoder Process: running.

      [ ok ] FR24 Stats Timestamp: 2019-11-24 20:30:55.

      [ ok ] FR24 Link: connected [UDP].

      [ ok ] FR24 Radar: T-xxxx. I didn't know if this was something "secure" so I x'd out some of the info

      [ ok ] FR24 Tracked AC: 7.

      [ ok ] Receiver: connected (5661 MSGS/0 SYNC).

      [ ok ] FR24 MLAT: ok [UDP].

      [ ok ] FR24 MLAT AC seen: 7.

      I've searched and I don't see anything about using a PI4. It has built in WiFi and it would be pretty convenient to use.
      When I log into my account on FR24 there's nothing under backslash data-sharing.
      I haven't lost my key but I was going to double check it and the link in this thread to do that is dead, kind of like this thread seems to be.
      4 May still not work with the pi24 image (not sure if been updated) and needs more manual work. Those stats are fine, it will take some time to update online once it has a dataset.
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by Oblivian View Post

        4 May still not work with the pi24 image (not sure if been updated) and needs more manual work. Those stats are fine, it will take some time to update online once it has a dataset.
        The 3B seems to be working fine (as you noted). I'll stick with that. The Pi4 I have is powered by USB-C, has built in WiFi, has heat sinks and fan (thanks to the case I bought for it), and is probably overkill for what I want to do. Thanks for your help

        Comment


        • #19
          Thankyou for this guide, works perfectly. I've reinstalled my card, to get a new clean install. But with this guide the dump1090 setup looks odd.
          Where is it I configure the center of the map, and the radius and zoom?

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by fribse View Post
            But with this guide the dump1090 setup looks odd.
            Where is it I configure the center of the map, and the radius and zoom?
            Why it looks odd?
            To display station marker and 3 range rings on the dump1090 map, you have to add latitude & longitude in the field "Process arguments" (--lat xx.xxxx --lon yy.yyyy).

            This is shown in screeshot of settings page in following step:

            STEP-8: SETTINGS & CONFIGURATION
            Last edited by abcd567; 2020-02-15, 11:49.

            Comment


            • #21
              My system stopped working. Probably due to a power failure (a UPS is probably a good idea). I connected it to a monitor and it boots but... and of course when I rebooted just now to see what was on the screen everything loaded. It appears to be working. It hasn't picked up any aircraft but there aren't any in range yet.

              Comment


              • #22
                Hi abcd567, thank you for this.

                I wondering if exists a quality difference between using PI4 image or a complete setup (Raspian OS + Dump1090 + FR24 Data Feeder).

                Thank you in advance!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by randys View Post
                  I wondering if exists a quality difference between using PI4 image or a complete setup (Raspian OS + Dump1090 + FR24 Data Feeder).

                  There is no quality difference, as the latest Pi24 image has same components (i.e. Raspbian Buster + FR24 feeder + dump1090-mutability 1.15 EB_VER).

                  The only difference is in configuration. In Pi24 image, the fr24feed uses setting "receiver=dvbt". This setting modifies dump1090-mitability configuration as follows:

                  (1) dump1090-mitability does not start at boot by itself. It is started by fr24feed.

                  (2) All output ports of dump1090-mutability are blocked. Other feedes dont get data unless in fr24feed settings field "Process arguments" an argument --net is added.

                  (3) The user cannot directly set gain, latitude, longitude in dump1090 configurayion. These are specified in fr24feed settings, and fr24feed passes these to dump1090-mutability when fr24feed issues start command to it.

                  (4) The systemctl command start stop restart are also blocked.

                  In nutshell, in Pi24 image, the dump1090-mutability is under control of fr24feed, but this does NOT affect performance in any way.

                  If you use Raspbian Buster image, and install dump1090-mutability by following command and use fr24feed setting
                  "receiver=beast-tcp"
                  "host=127.0.0.1:30005"
                  then dump1090-mutability functions as an independent software.


                  Raspbian Bister image from Raspberrypi.org - Install and configure dump1090-mutability
                  Code:
                  sudo apt update
                  sudo apt install dump1090-mutability
                  
                  sudo usermod -a -G plugdev dump1090
                  sudo systemctl restart dump1090-mutability  
                  
                  sudo dpkg-reconfigure dump1090-mutability

                  Raspbian Buster image from Raspberrypi.org - Install FR24 feeder

                  Note:With Raspbian image, Do NOT use setting "receiver=dvbt". Use setting "receiver=beast-tcp"

                  Code:
                  sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/install_fr24_rpi.sh)"
                  Last edited by abcd567; 2020-04-21, 02:57.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Crystal clear, abcd567!

                    Many thanks!

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X