Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have piaware installed already you can install beast-splitter with:
    sudo apt-get install beast-splitter

(No need for the piaware sd-card image, you just need the repository package)

Next step is to enable it in its configuration file and point fr24feed and the other stuff to port to 30005.

And i don't see much more complication compared to fr24feed being connected directly.
    Actually this way it's less of a "daisy-chain" and more a star model

As there is no decoding necessary beast-splitter shouldn't use much CPU at all.
    Might actually reduce CPU load depending on how efficient the network side of fr24feed is coded.

Comment

Kinda overlooked my point...
      Complexity to me is nada. (And I've basically done all that already, But majority not running at once)

Think of someone that's just bought a Pi (as advised by feed.flightradar24.com) cause their beloved windows is about to die.

This is all the official support channel is going to want to support. The majority of which AREN'T likely forum users.

Then realise how much we voluntarily give time to already, to provide them ongoing support outside of installing FR24feed. Attaching USB.
      without going down totally separate beastsplitter options - but opening our basic support up to those sort of configurations opens a whole lot of pain.
      If we thought there was a bunch of hurt assisting DVBT users....
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Oh well.

If you only run fr24feed it should be fine and not disconnect?

Anyway making it 32 instead of 5 connections maximum shouldn't be that hard and i'm not quite sure how they came up with that limit.

Also there just aren't that many ModeS Beast owners.
        Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-04-01, 10:24.

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post

It was the first generation of devices sent to users before the radarcape...

Worse, will be SBS users. Of which NONE have reported back their progress. le sigh.
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

>SNIP<

There should be more, as in my case (fairly high background RF) it is shit loads better than a SDR, even with filters fitted.

Comment

It's also rather expensive.

Often a filtered LNA like this one is a cheaper alternative: https://www.rtl-sdr.com/new-product-...mhz-ads-b-lna/

Of course the ModeS Beast performs very well and will catch more messages than the mentioned LNA combine with a rtl-sdr v3 dongle for example.

But with that or a similar LNA you get good performance and it's usually sufficient.
              Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-04-01, 11:38.

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                It was the first generation of devices sent to users before the radarcape...

Worse, will be SBS users. Of which NONE have reported back their progress. le sigh.
                I guess they will just have to send out some of their complete receiver packages then

(At this point I wonder if the SBS options for fr24feed even work, the feedback of people attempting to connect them hasn't been great)

Comment

Originally posted by Stealth View Post
                  You are presumably talking about Oracle VM or similar? That thought had crossed my mind, the PC should have enough grunt and has plenty of space to run it. The question then is what to run as the feeder, as I'm not a fan of the fr24 variety at the moment. I'd prefer not to be getting my data from it alone.
                  I'm not sure what would be best to talk to the ModeS Beast under Windows.
                  You could just pass the USB device to the virtual machine and let the planefinder client handle it there, you are running that client anyway and it seems quite robust.
                  I believe ModeSmixer2 also talks to the Beast under Windows.
                  Not sure about planeploter?

Comment

I'm not sure what would be best to talk to the ModeS Beast under Windows.
                    You could just pass the USB device to the virtual machine and let the planefinder client handle it there, you are running that client anyway and it seems quite robust.
                    I believe ModeSmixer2 also talks to the Beast under Windows.
                    Not sure about planeploter?
                    Just to be sure that we are not talking at cross purposes. Are we talking about Oracle VM installed on Windows and running a linux virtual machine?

The Mode-S Beast may be a little more expensive, but better chance that the cost of pre-amps and filters will be saved and best of all, no dump1090 or derivatives.
                    Last edited by Stealth; 2019-04-01, 12:10.

Comment

Just to be sure that we are not talking at cross purposes. Are we talking about Oracle VM installed on Windows and running a linux virtual machine?
                      Yes, you run Windows as per usual. Then install Virtualbox or Oracle VM. On the virtual machine you run linux.
                      You can give the virtual machine control of a USB device and then handle the ModeS Beast in the virtual machine.
                      Or you just get the data out of the Beast under Windows and the fr24feed on linux talks to Windows over the network

The Mode-S Beast may be a little more expensive, but better chance that the cost of pre-amps and filters will be saved and best of all, no dump1090 or derivatives.
                      The pre-amp i linked employs triple filtering. Antenna --> high pass filter --> LNA --> SAW fitler --> LNA --> SAW filter --> output.
                      But yeah if you don't like running dump1090 then you need a beast ;P

Comment

the fr24feed on linux talks to Windows over the network
                        That's lateral thinking; I like it.

Comment

Almost 2 weeks with no broken stats or crashing feed app with beast via splitter doing the hardware connection instead

So current version sure has an issue with multi direct downstream TCP connections it would seem.

Comment

Former Windows user - switch to Raspberry fails massively despite all my searches

Hi all,

I hope you can help me. I am a current "Windows-Feeder", My system runs since 2 years very well. Now I am forced to switch, which I am very ok with.

I have a Raspberry Pi3+, I have my DVB-T Stick (SDR USB Dongle, which fulfills the requirement specs (I checked it a few times).

I followed this instructions: (Can't submit links yet)
                            /threads/8908-New-Flightradar24-feeding-software-for-Raspberry-Pie?p=66479#post66479
                            and
                            /threads/10232-How-to-Install-dump1090-mutability_1-15-dev-on-RPi

Both ran through without error.

But when I start the feeder and check the status I get ALWAYS this, even following the second link ....
                            Code:
                            pi@raspberrypi:~ $ fr24feed-status
                            [ ok ] FR24 Feeder/Decoder Process: running.
                            [ ok ] FR24 Stats Timestamp: 2019-04-17 10:49:00.
                            [ ok ] FR24 Link: connected [UDP].
                            [ ok ] FR24 Radar: T-EDFM52.
                            [ ok ] FR24 Tracked AC:.
                            [FAIL] Receiver: down ... failed!
                            [FAIL] FR24 MLAT: not running ... failed!
                            I need definitely help, because I am lost. I searched last 3 days the forum and there is no solution I have found but I might have overread it.

Thanks a lot to you all !

Best regards
                            Rudolf

Comment

Please show the output of following commands:

cat /etc/fr24feed.ini

cat /var/log/dump1090-mutability.log

pgrep -fa dump1090
                              Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-04-17, 11:14.

Comment

(I'm hoping he realises and replies. Moved from it's own moderated thread to here)

Comment

Working...
                                X