Windows Setup/Feed Migration (virtualVM) Assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That fixed it :-)

One of the problems associated with my advancing years is having to switch spectacles frequently! I was off-line when I entered the script, so had to do it manually.......

EDIT: One final (hopefully) question, can I get fr24feed to output Mode AC data to PP and PF? Currently its Mode S output only.
    Last edited by Stealth; 2019-03-31, 00:06.

Comment

Originally posted by Stealth View Post

One of the problems associated with my advancing years is having to switch spectacles frequently! I was off-line when I entered the script, so had to do it manually.......

EDIT: One final (hopefully) question, can I get fr24feed to output Mode AC data to PP and PF? Currently its Mode S output only.
      Because planeplotter is no longer in control of the dips by software, they would need to be opened and adjusted manually I believe. Mine were already pretty optimised for standalone

Think its SW10 according to 2nd doc
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Thanks, yes looks like SW10 in the later versions.

EDIT: No, that didn't resolve it. Thinking about it logically, fr24feed requires Mode A/C to MLAT and it already showed MLAT was working. So I had discounted any need to change the dip settings. Presumably its not passing that data on Port 30334.
        Last edited by Stealth; 2019-03-31, 00:59.

Comment

Do you really need ModeAC? Nearly all planes have ModeS today.

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
            Do you really need ModeAC? Nearly all planes have ModeS today.
            That is another question. At present my interest is to see if I can replicate the Windows installation in full or not.

Comment

Found the problem.

There is a typo in the service file:
              ExecStart=/user/bin/fr24feed

needs to be
              ExecStart=/usr/bin/fr24feed

(spot the extra e)

Did the copy paste not work?
              Originally posted by Stealth View Post
              Hahaha .... I have made exactly this mistake almost every time I type path /usr/share/ or /usr/bin/.
              However I never made this mistake due to spectacles, but always due to life-long habit of writing & typing "user". When I have to type "usr" in Linux, unconsciously I type "user", then later correct the typo when Linux throws the error.

Why the hell Linux uses unusual spelling "usr" while uses normal spelling "share"?

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                Hahaha .... I have made exactly this mistake almost every time I type path /usr/share/ or /usr/bin/.
                However I never made this mistake due to spectacles, but always due to life-long habit of writing & typing "user". When I have to type "usr" in Linux, unconsciously I type "user", then later correct the typo when Linux throws the error.

Why the hell Linux uses unusual spelling "usr" while uses normal spelling "share"?
                It wouldn't be so much fun if it just same same.....:-)
                An update, I now have VRS running. Another fun install, as it wouldn't work with Wine. Instead I had to install a differnet linux version that uses something called 'mono'. Appears to be something similar to Wine though. The actual install failed with the usual multi lined monochrome terminal screen. However a Google found the fix and that's running as well now. As I sometimes find it hard to remember what I had for breakfast, I'm stuffed if it all falls over as I can't remember what's installed on what now!

Good thing is I have two fall backs, either the dual install Windows set up or the drive that I cloned from and can put back in the pc in about 2 minutes.

Comment

Backups and contingency planes! Oh i mean plans! I like it!

In regards to ModeAC messages: I'm not aware of any feeder using ModeAC messages or any use for them at all.

Basically all you get is a squawk and an altitude, so not really useful as you can't identify the aircraft or locate it.

Comment

Backups and contingency planes! Oh i mean plans! I like it!

In regards to ModeAC messages: I'm not aware of any feeder using ModeAC messages or any use for them at all.

Basically all you get is a squawk and an altitude, so not really useful as you can't identify the aircraft or locate it.
                    How about MLAT? It can use AC and position-less Mode S.

Comment

In theory you could MLAT modeAC, but in practice it is not done.

Flight trackers don't care about aircraft they can't associate with an airframe or flight number.

Comment

In theory you could MLAT modeAC, but in practice it is not done.

Flight trackers don't care about aircraft they can't associate with an airframe or flight number.
                        The Chinese send me thank you cards.

Comment

I smell a rat

When my external connections/feed is crashing, (low traffic period when the kill command comes from server - not always). It's then giving up on flushing connections properly (thinks there is 5.. I only have 2 - FA + PP on the raw port and some on BS port)

2019-03-31 04:28:50 | [mlat][i]No ADS-B time reference available (0/0)
                          2019-03-31 04:28:50 | [raw][w]Too many connections!
                          2019-03-31 04:28:51 | [feed][n]ping 447
                          2019-03-31 04:28:52 | [feed][n]syncing stream result: 1
                          2019-03-31 04:28:54 | [reader][w]Global timeout exceeded, 0 msgs, 0 resyncs, rec
                          onnecting
                          2019-03-31 04:28:54 | [reader][i]Connection terminated
                          2019-03-31 04:28:59 | [reader][i]Connecting to unknown receiver via (/dev/ttyUSB
                          0@3000000)
                          2019-03-31 04:28:59 | [reader][i]Connected to the receiver, configuring
                          2019-03-31 04:28:59 | [reader][i]Configured, processing messages
                          2019-03-31 04:29:00 | [mlat][i]No ADS-B time reference available (0/0)
                          2019-03-31 04:29:07 | [mlat][i]Pinging the server
                          2019-03-31 04:29:07 | [mlat][i]Stats 1532435/0
                          2019-03-31 04:29:10 | [mlat][i]No ADS-B time reference available (0/0)
                          2019-03-31 04:29:15 | [raw][w]Too many connections!
                          2019-03-31 04:29:20 | [mlat][i]No ADS-B time reference available (0/0)
                          2019-03-31 04:29:20 | [raw][w]Too many connections!
                          2019-03-31 04:29:21 | [feed][n]ping 448
                          Shortly after it releases them all in 1 go, but by then its too late and the realtime connections are killed/apps crashed - only presumably FA (only one on the localhost) restarts and can re-attach nicely

2019-03-31 04:32:10 | [mlat][i]No ADS-B time reference available (0/0)
                          2019-03-31 04:32:14 | [raw][i]Client disconnected, 5 left
                          2019-03-31 04:32:14 | [raw][i]Client disconnected, 4 left
                          2019-03-31 04:32:14 | [raw][i]Client disconnected, 3 left
                          2019-03-31 04:32:14 | [raw][i]Client disconnected, 2 left
                          2019-03-31 04:32:14 | [raw][i]Client disconnected, 1 left
                          2019-03-31 04:32:14 | [raw][i]Client disconnected, 0 left
                          2019-03-31 04:32:17 | [raw][i]New client connected 127.0.0.1:60836
                          This continues on until..

2019-03-31 13:39:48 | [time][i]Synchronizing time via NTP
                          2019-03-31 13:39:48 | [time][e]Failed to synchronize time
                          2019-03-31 13:39:49 | [feed][i]sent 10,3 AC
                          2019-03-31 13:39:50 | [time][i]Synchronizing time via NTP
                          2019-03-31 13:39:50 | [time][e]Failed to synchronize time
                          2019-03-31 13:39:50 | [mlat][i]Pinging the server
                          2019-03-31 13:39:50 | [mlat][i]Stats 1737602/168
                          2019-03-31 13:39:52 | [time][i]Synchronizing time via NTP
                          2019-03-31 13:39:52 | [time][e]Failed to synchronize time
                          2019-03-31 13:39:54 | [time][i]Synchronizing time via NTP
                          2019-03-31 13:39:54 | [time][e]Failed to synchronize time
                          2019-03-31 13:39:54 | [feed][i]sent 11,3 AC
                          And all of a sudden a bunch of this fills the screen until I restart service, By this time even the config webpage has stopped responding

2019-03-31 13:40:19 | [bs][w]Accept failed errno=24
                          The BS connections log separately, and always seems to have 2 left after 1 does a self flush disconnects and retries

(standard unix 24 = too many open files 0.o)
                          Last edited by Oblivian; 2019-04-01, 06:34.
                          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Now like this for a bit (sooo many feed stats gaps in stats since going off windows..)

Beast -> PI -> FR24 + FA

Laptop: FR24feed (30334) -> ModeSMixer (30333) -> Planeplotter
                            Laptop: FR24feed (30003) -> Logger

Extra unnecessary step. But I want to make sure Planeplotter isn't hating on the raw port and eating up 5 connections it doesn't flush

Next stop if it continues will be test without FA MLAT (apparently causes extra connections) or putting it back to

Beast -> Laptop -> Planeplotter

Pi: Planeplotter -> FR24feed

And for the visual impact..
                            FR24feed.jpg

Comment

Just don't use fr24feed to talk to the ModeS Beast.

You can either use beast-splitter as i described in the other thread or you could for example run the planefinder client.
                              (beast-splitter can be installed via apt-get on the RPi when you have the flightaware repository installed, no need to compile it)
                              Under linux it can talk to the beast-splitter and will give out beast-tcp on port 30054.

And i'm pretty sure both don't have any limitation on the number of connections or disconnect at random times.

Comment

I know y'all keen to throw all the bells and whistles suggestions at me like we do to most users to get things sorted.

And well aware of the various possibilities. But I'm an advanced user, looking at it from a generic beast owner perspective, wanting to keep their Business plan - moving to a Pi following the instructions I come up with on notice of the Windows demise.
                                - A basic overview without making it too hard for others. Almost matching current expected setups. (case in Point Stealth who tried 1:1 settings at first)

Daisy chaining is just urg to those not aware how to. Which also leads to a few gotchas.
                                Because its not an SDR, Can't use raw out of Piaware - it acts as a data-in only (SDR uses dump1090 SW decoding and opens the outputs). So can't swap around to hang FR off an FA output either.

That is, if I read it right, unless I use their image. Which has the splitter built in. But that goes against FRs instructions some users may follow etching their image *sigh*
                                Which strikes another option out that SDRs have an advantage over and introduces strife for anyone wanting to 'feed other sites' via USB without going down totally separate beastsplitter options - but opening our basic support up to those sort of configurations opens a whole lot of pain.

At the same time, with such a focus on SDR modules, I feel I'm highlighting something that other Beast Owners with no choice migrating to a Pi - may have an issue with.
                                Likely an indifference to the data out handling of windows port, in my case the only difference is the USB cable has been swung to a PI - of which FR24feed was always installed on for testing reported SDR experiences. Just not running at startup. (only to test beast MLAT worked from Pi version, or windows feeder via Pi hosted RAW out, but not direct USB in windows!)

FA was always LAN feed (based on the Pi)
                                FR24 was feed from windows direct USB (now direct USB pi)
                                Apps used RAW out directly.

Footnote-
                                In my case, it's also an older Pi. And already loaded up with an SDR doing POCSAG decoding and some database work. Although I CAN load it up with all and sundry of converters/splitters, Attempting to avoid more process required apps to malform/convert the data when a native direct hardware connection should take care of it.

Comment

Working...
                                X