Windows Setup/Feed Migration (virtualVM) Assistance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
    Right now I am not at home. When back home, I will try to install the RPi .deb package (fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf.deb) on Raspbian x86 in VM on Windows by following method (same as for i386.deb package except that the downloaded package is armhf.deb instead of i386.deb).

If successful, it will be a great help for SBS users.

Code:
    # Download RPi .deb package ver 1.0.23.8 from repository
    cd 
    wget -O fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf.deb http://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/rpi_binaries/fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf.deb 

# Check your machine's architecture by command below: 
    uname -m 

# If command "uname -m" outputs "x86_64", then give following two commands 
    sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386 
    sudo apt install libc6:i386 libudev1:i386 zlib1g:i386 libusb-1.0-0:i386 libstdc++6:i386 dirmngr 

# If command "uname -m" does NOT output "x86_64", then give following command 
    sudo apt install libc6 libudev1 zlib1g libusb-1.0-0 libstdc++6 dirmngr 

# After installing dependencies as above, install the downloaded fr24feed ver 1.0.23.8_armhf.deb package

sudo dpkg -i fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf.deb
    As much as I don't want to get into testing also (man there are a lot of different ways to feed if you don't simply have a Pi/USB stick..) ModesMixer looks like it could run on the host and produce workable data that old fr24feed on VM is not restricted to (beast)?

At the same time the application is able to work with hardware Mode-S receivers as modesbeast or SBS-3 with traditional serial (COM Port) connections over USB interface.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
      For DVBT, yes. Unfortunately, doesn't help the portion of the 8,000+ sbs models out there that feed fr24. Later models also produce audio for ATC and acars.

Early versions need a windows PC as no onboard decoder. And if you want the graphical feature you tend to have one running 24/7 already. With a pi, often lose that ability totally thanks to the feed sw coding.

Say there was 5% of a 10,000 uploader base on windows and the majority sbs. That's 200 people suddenly not able to use em.
      I totally understand. Heck I wish I had a Kinetic SBS-3 on my desk!! My point really is that $30 worth of PI is an awesome supplement to any shack no matter what you have already.

Comment

• @Oblivian: you should check which VMware image you started from.

I've read there is an emulation for armhf available so maybe you got one of those images.

You can also use "uname -m" to check the architecture of your VM.

Comment

• Debian with raspian X11. Same as abcds link

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
          Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• Well colour me pink

raspian.jpg

(I've still not copy paste between host/virtual working)..

But it continued and hit the shared feed (beastsplitter) and seemed to upload fine.

PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNu/Linux 9 (stretch)"

https://www.raspberrypi.org/download...ry-pi-desktop/ seems to be, an emulated pi OS, And therefore the script doesn't seem to have many hiccups. For a Mode-S beast at least

Comment

• Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
              (I've still not copy paste between host/virtual working)..
              Neither can I copy-paste from VM to host. I solved it by running Putty on host machine and SSH to VM. To be able to SSH from host to VM, in Settings >> Network, you should change "NAT" to "Bridged Network".

https://www.raspberrypi.org/download...ry-pi-desktop/ seems to be, an emulated pi OS, And therefore the script doesn't seem to have many hiccups. For a Mode-S beast at least
              It does not seem to be emulated armhf Raspbian. it is stripped down Debian x86 with Raspbian desktop envoroment.

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                Neither can I copy-paste from VM to host. I solved it by running Putty on host machine and SSH to VM. To be able to SSH from host to VM, in Settings >> Network, you should change "NAT" to "Bridged Network".

It does not seem to be emulated armhf Raspbian. it is stripped down Debian x86 with Raspbian desktop envoroment.
                No answers then. But I got the raspberry pi/armhf edition of Fr24feed installed and working on it. Which may be a good step for those with SBS as it apparently includes the fixes.

fr24feed:armhf:
                Installed: 1.0.23-8

Comment

• Can you show the output of

uname -m

I'm curious what that will say.

Comment

• Just plain ol x86_64

Which is what lead me down the path to doing an -add-architecture, manual PGPkey import and trying to drop the essential dependancies before running the sh script. To my surprise, voila!

Comment

• For me command uname -a showed i686 and command to add architecture gave some warning messages. Inspite of installing dependencies, it refused to install the armhf package. The method I posted few posts above did not work on my machine.

I will try again. May be doing it late night with a sleepy brain caused this.

I did use Raspbian x86 for Desktop from raspberrypi foundation on Oracle VM on Windows 8.1
                      Last edited by abcd567; 2019-05-09, 15:59.

Comment

• (1) Oracle VM on Windows 8.1

(2) Debian Stretch with Raspberry Pi Desktop: The Raspberry Pi Desktop OS for PC and Mac - based on Debian Stretch

(2019-04-11-rpd-x86-stretch.iso)

Code:
                        pi@raspberry:~ $ uname -m
                        i686

pi@raspberry:~ $ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
                        Odd number of elements in hash assignment at /usr/share/pkg-config-dpkghook line 30.

pi@raspberry:~ $ sudo dpkg --add-architecture i686
                        Odd number of elements in hash assignment at /usr/share/pkg-config-dpkghook line 30.

pi@raspberry:~ $ sudo apt install libc6:i386 libudev1:i386 zlib1g:i386 libusb-1.0-0:i386 libstdc++6:i386 dirmngr

pi@raspberry:~ $ sudo apt install libc6 libudev1 zlib1g libusb-1.0-0 libstdc++6 dirmngr

pi@raspberry:~ $ wget -O fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf.deb http://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/rpi_binaries/fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf.deb

pi@raspberry:~ $ sudo dpkg -i fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf.deb

dpkg: error processing archive fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf.deb (--install):
                        [COLOR="#FF0000"] package architecture (armhf) does not match system (i386)[/COLOR]
                        Errors were encountered while processing:
                         fr24feed_1.0.23-8_armhf.deb
                        Last edited by abcd567; 2019-05-09, 18:04.

Comment

• Well you would have to add the architecture armhf, not i386, abcd567.

Still curious how this can work though.

You should also remove the two bogus architectures you added:
                          sudo dpkg --remove-architecture i386
                          sudo dpkg --remove-architecture i686

sudo dpkg --add-architecture armhf

sudo apt update
                          sudo apt dist-upgrade

Then adapt all the library stuff to install the armhf versions.
                          Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-05-09, 18:34.

Comment

• Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
                            Well you would have to add the architecture armhf, not i386, abcd567.

25138632836_f28f2bb162_m.jpg ..... oops

Comment

• Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
                              Well you would have to add the architecture armhf, not i386, abcd567.

Still curious how this can work though.

You should also remove the two bogus architectures you added:
                              sudo dpkg --remove-architecture i386
                              sudo dpkg --remove-architecture i686

sudo dpkg --add-architecture armhf

sudo apt update
                              sudo apt dist-upgrade

Then adapt all the library stuff to install the armhf versions.
                              I need to re-replicate to see how I got it going.

From memory, my base always showed x86_x64. Think I chose the 64b ver during install.

I put on the 18-5 .deb using wget (no dump1090 as we dont use it on and/beast) and mucked about confirming it worked

Later figured let's try break it, edited sources to add fr24 source and raspberrypi-stable

Added armhf architecture

Ran the libc6 and so on line to get those on

Added dirmngr and gpg keys

Ran the .sh installer. It had a few whines but still went

And baffled me from there it looks like it still added dump1090 but didn't start it as I turned all that off and configured for a different device.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by federbear View Post
                                Because I got the same message on my linux that windows is not supported longer. It is really funny. So not the router is the problem but the old linux feeder app.

[failure]: Windows feeding software is now disabled!
                                But my linux never seen windows.....
                                The feed app is independent from Dump1090. What you are asking for, is how to change a non-standard router based setup. Not a pure linux or windows setup.

Moving.

Comment

Working...
                                X