Clear All

• abcd567
    replied
    LOL
    Well said Oblivian

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    Use quote function. Not @ symbols. It only encourages others and they will have posts blocked.

/edit this is not a reflection of this particular case, however I did see aspects of it appearing along the way

Reinforcing the importance of disclosing all background information. And ensuring if attempting to fix things, to do so with caution and stop at each point, Rather than proceed, aggravate and be forced to try fix later.

Patient:I have a sore leg, please fix it
    Doctor: do you have any history of issue or think of a reason for it to be sore
    Patient: you don't need to know that, please just fix it
    Doctor: *bandages*
    Patient: (2 days later) didn't fix it, it's still sore
    Doctor: I'm GOING to need some more history. What hurts, and when did it start
    Patient: I had a car crash.
    Doctor: ok so it could be bruised or worse
    Patient: i decided to go out and it went crack when I went for a bike ride after the crash

*Doctor treats for fracture after info finally given*

Wiedehopf will appreciate.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Oblivian; 2019-10-16, 22:39.

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    There seems to be a misconception that dump1090's funtion is only to provide web interface, and if someone dont want the web interface, he/she dont need to install dump1090.

The whole adsb receving activity is pinned on SDR (Software Defined Radio). The DVB-T is the hardware part of this SDR. Who provides the software part of this SDR? The OS? No. The fr24feed? No. The software Part of SDR is provided by dump1090 (mut or fa).

The dump1090 does following
    • Tunes the dvb-t to 1090 mhz
    • Sets the demodulation parameters of dvb-t.
    • Decodes the received raw signals to formats like beast & avr.
    • Outputs the data for use by data feeders
      Raw 30002
      Avr 30003
      Beast 30005
    • Generates web interface (map & table).

Without a decoder (dump1090) the data feeders dont have any data to feed to their servers.
    Last edited by abcd567; 2019-10-16, 20:48.

Leave a comment:

• wiedehopf
    replied
    tar1090 is just an improved webinterface for dump1090-fa.

It should install without problems using the supplied install script: https://github.com/wiedehopf/tar1090#tar1090

Original interface will still be accessible normally.

Leave a comment:

• mensa
    replied
    @wiedehopf: Could you please explain me which steps are necessary if I want to switch from dump1090-fa to your dump1090?
    Yours is called tar1090, right?
    I am unsure what exactly I will have to uninstall and reconfigure?

I did my installation exactly after post #1.

Leave a comment:

• mensa
    replied
    Debian is running fine on it, but for Windows 10 VM it is too slow.

Leave a comment:

• wiedehopf
    replied
    I'm not sure how much CPU that NAS has, but i would expect it to be quite a bit more than the RPi.
    Don't know how good it can do virtualization of course.

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied

NEW THREAD:

Automated Install of FR24 Feeder on Debian & Ubuntu amd64 on Intel 64bit Computer

Leave a comment:

• mensa
    replied
    I am running it on a virtual debian machine which is running on a Synology NAS DS218+. That debian machine is doing some other tasks to and always running, so it's a good place to put fr24 I thought

Leave a comment:

• wiedehopf
    replied
    You really want some graphs if you're gonna do antenna optimization.
    Even aren't a problem CPU wise on the RPi, so it really shouldn't be a problem on your 64bit PC: https://github.com/wiedehopf/graphs1090#graphs1090

Leave a comment:

• mensa
    replied
    Perfect, thanks for that explanation and all your help
    Then I will let it as it is and go on with antenna optimization.

Leave a comment:

• wiedehopf
    replied
    CPU use for the webinterface is minimal, that even includes my webinterface which does a minimal amount of extra work.
    I really don't think you could even measure the CPU load difference when you disable the writing of the json file to memory.

The computer is running anyway, if you want to save energy run it on an RPi, those use less power

HDD is definitely not used unless you have some sort of logging enabled.

Leave a comment:

• mensa
    replied
    I think I want both, local acitvity + some features of the account are also interesting for me.
    But I am afraid, that the local web interface is doing too much in the background for nothing (cause I think I will look into it only every few days).

Or do you think/know that nearly no CPU is used and nothing written to HDD when I don't look on my web interface?

Leave a comment:

• wiedehopf
    replied
    If you don't want to look at it, you can just install dump1090-mutability via apt-get on Debian Buster, there is a package available.

The demodulation of the messages that go to fr24feed hasn't changed in dump1090-fa.
    dump1090-fa is just nicer to look at and has more information in the webinterface.

If you don't have fr24feed logging on, it shouldn't be writing to disk at all.
    dump1090 also doesn't write to disk.

Might be that dump1090 depends on lighttpd, but you can disable it if you don't want the webserver accessible.
    sudo systemctl disable --now lighttpd

Just want the FR24 account?
    Looking at the local receiver can be quite interesting.
    Often more planes on there than on FR24 due to blocking.

Leave a comment:

• mensa
    replied
    Which dump1090 is FR24 using in most current Rasperry Pi Images?
    Still the unmaintained dump1090-mutability?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X