Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will FlightAware Pro Stick Work With FR24?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will FlightAware Pro Stick Work With FR24?

Due to my isolated location FlightAware Pro sticks are the only one that can be shipped to me at a reasonable cost. Will they work as 'plug and play' with FR24 on RaspberryPi?

Yes, sure.

I am using FlightAware Pro Sticks with my two RPis and both feed FR24 perfectly well.

One RPi uses ProStick (orange color case)
    Other RPi uses ProStick Plus (dark-blue color case)

Comment

Awesome thanks, do you have any antenna suggestions to go with that? (I don't think it comes with one)

Comment

With one RPi I use Flightaware 26"/66cm 1090 mhz antenna

With other RPi I use DIY Cantenna or Quick Spider. Both are in this thread (scroll down and see first few posts)

3 EASY ANTENNAS FOR BEGINNERS

Comment

I have tested an antenna similar to this one on ebay:

It performed about as good as the Cantenna, maybe even as good as the Quick spider.
          But you basically can't get a brand or something like that from ebay / Hongkong, so it's hard to say if you will get the same antenna i got.
          Upside is there is no assembly required and it's quite cheap.

You will need a SMA male to male adapter though (and a normal SMA cable, be sure not to buy an RP-SMA cable as those are not compatible).
          Using a short cable is always good as you lose signal. If you are savvy check the cable you are gonna buy for signal loss at 1000Mhz.

Comment

Thoughts on this antenna with RadarBox FlightStick and FlightAware ProStick?

chrome_2019-01-19_15-57-25.png

Comment

Originally posted by Saksham View Post
              Depends how good it is and where you can place it to receive maximum, available aircraft messages.

You might be lucky and someone on this forum has the same antenna. If not, the price is so low, and I suspect the delivery is (s)low too, why not try one? Or build your own as abcd567 has suggested?

If it helps, I have an AirNav Flightstick which is performing as well as my Pro Stick. AirNav has dropped the price by 75% (after I bought mine) and it's now only US$9.95 plus shipping. How long it will last is to be tested over time.
              Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

To connect FA antenna or DIY antenna to Flightaware ProStic, you will have to use a coax cable. If this coax is RG6 it will have an F-male connector at prostick end, which will not fit the SMA connector of the prostick. You will need an adapter pigtail "F-female to SMA-male" as shown in image below.

20190119_054830.png
                20190119_053716.png
                Last edited by abcd567; 2019-01-19, 10:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Saksham View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]10174[/ATTACH]
                  I have that antenna. Almost all planes I see are within 50nm, with the occasional jump to 100+. I see planes in the neighborhood, and below 40,000 feet. The antenna has a magnetic base

Comment

Place this mag-mount antenna over a food can or a metal sheet. This will improve reception.

It will give added advantage that antenna base magnet will cling to the iron/steel of food can, and keep antenna upright and stable.

Last edited by abcd567; 2019-01-19, 16:06.

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                      Yes, sure.

I am using FlightAware Pro Sticks with my two RPis and both feed FR24 perfectly well.

One RPi uses ProStick (orange color case)
                      Other RPi uses ProStick Plus (dark-blue color case)
                      Hey there, which settings (Receiver) do you use when FA Stick pro+ is connected?

Bildschirmfoto 2021-04-10 um 11.17.56.png
                      Thanks! :-)

Comment

The one already set if you setup fr24feed first.

If you used a different guide, with stand alone dump1090. Beast-tcp:30005
                        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Mr205 View Post

Hey there, which settings (Receiver) do you use when FA Stick pro+ is connected?
                          If you don't have another decoder or feeder running on that Raspberry Pi, DVB-T is the correct setting.
                          It means fr24feed will start the decoder internally to use the rtl-sdr compatible SDR (derived from DVB-T USB receivers).
                          The FA sticks are just rtl-sdr compatible SDRs.

In case you want a nicer local interface and statistics, i'd highly recommend checking out this guide: https://github.com/wiedehopf/adsb-wi...ADS-B-receiver

Comment

Working...
                          X