Adding FR24 to a PiAware SD Install: Failed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding FR24 to a PiAware SD Install: Failed

I followed the instructions to run SSH into the Pi and run the following script since I am already running Dump1090 for FlightAware.

"sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - https://repo-feed.flightradar24.com/install_fr24_rpi.sh)"

1. I was not asked to enter antenna location.

2. I did enter a sharing key as I have another FR24 radar running

3. I encountered a question that was incomprehensible to me followed by a request to enter a path. I just bypassed these.

Anyway it seems the add-on is incomplete. Unless there are suggestions here I'll just re-write the piAware image and not add the FR24 feed for now.

If you entered a previous key then you already answered most the questions like location previously.

The idea is if it's a different location to request a 2nd one against your account manually.

The path was likely just where to save the log files.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

You can however force signup again as long as the package actually installed
      Using --signup

Feel free to post/discuss suggestions here http://forum.flightradar24.com/threa...4840#post74840 (http://forum.flightradar24.com/threads/9875-Info-Updates-Ammendments-Placeholder?p=74840#post74840) This guide is not to be taken as officially sourced support information. It is contributor-made Information has been repeated many

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

IF you already have a FR24 Sharing Key, then the easiest way is as shown below:

(1) Open file fr24feed.ini in nano to edit
        Code:
        sudo nano /etc/fr24feed.ini
        (2) Delete all entries in file fr24feed.ini to make it blank.

(3) Copy-paste following code in the blank file fr24feed.ini, then Save (Ctrl+o) then close (Ctrl+x)

Note: Replace xxxxxxxxx by your actual feeder key
        Code:
        receiver="beast-tcp"
        fr24key="xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx"
        host="127.0.0.1:30005"
        bs="no"
        raw="no"
        logmode="0"
        windowmode="0"
        mpx="no"
        mlat="yes"
        mlat-without-gps="yes"
        (4) Restart fr24feed
        Code:
        sudo systemctl restart fr24feed
        (5) Wait for 5 minutes, then check status
        (a) In browser: IP-of-Pi:8754
        (b) in SSH console: fr24feed-status

(6) Check Settings in Browser:
        IP-of-Pi:8754/settings.html
        Last edited by abcd567; 2018-06-18, 22:25.

Comment

Thanks for the postings from Oblivian and abcd567 which helped me get FR24 running on the FA image.

One of my errors was in typing the command sudo systemctl restart fr24feed. As displayed here the last letter of the second word is the letter "l". In abcd567's post above it looks like the digit "1" as it did in the script from the FR24 installation.

So now that FR24 is running on my second Pi, I took it up a mountain on Sunday and fed data to both FR24 and FA from planes 200 nm west of my position at 135W (141W, the Alaska border) to 200 nm east. This is likely the first ever such coverage.

I used my laptop as a power source for the Pi and to confirm the aircraft on a map. A cell phone hot spot relayed the data to FR24 and FA. I envision using this second Pi as a mobile radar to take with me when I drive and park in higher terrain. Just a few hours of extended data but I suspect someone, somewhere will be glad to track the non-estimated positions of planes. (Data cost for about a 2 hour session was 20-25 cents.)

Comment

Lesson Learned:
            Always Copy-Paste commands.
            Typing introduces such errors.

Comment

If I might sneak in a question here .... I need a portable power pack to run the Pi plus dongle plus Wi-Fi for 3 to 4 hours when up on a mountain. Would there be any issues with a 20.000mAh pack, sold for charging phones?

Comment

Originally posted by Robbwell View Post
                If I might sneak in a question here .... I need a portable power pack to run the Pi plus dongle plus Wi-Fi for 3 to 4 hours when up on a mountain. Would there be any issues with a 20.000mAh pack, sold for charging phones?
                For RPi, only the mAh rating is not the only rating to be considered. The Ampere rating also equally important.
                The RPi usually requires 2A or 3A charger.

Most portable battery charger manufacturers will disclose how many amps they can deliver: usually .5A, 1A, or 2A.
                Dont buy one less than 2A current rating.

Theoretically, at 2A (=2000mA) consumption, the 20,000mAh battery should last 20,000 mAh/2000 mA = 10 hours.

Here is an example of a power pack running RPi

This guy (chrisjohnston50) is using RavPower battery Pack
                Last edited by abcd567; 2018-06-26, 07:59.

Comment

Here is data on Pi's power consumption.

A power bank rated at 10,500 mAh at5v powered a Pi3 with a DVB (?) dongle using Wi-Fi for 18.2h - an implied current draw of 580 mA. The load was about 100 planes per day. This was with the first full charge of the power bank.

Comment

A power bank rated at 10,500 mAh at5v powered a Pi3 with a DVB (?) dongle using Wi-Fi for 18.2h - an implied current draw of 580 mA. This was with the first full charge of the power bank.
                    This is encouraging for a mobile setup.

The load was about 100 planes per day.
                    Yeah, there are not many flights over Yukon Territory.
                    My location (Toronto CYYZ) has heaps of flights/day

YT flights.png

Comment

Power Used by RPi with Different SDR Dongles

A power bank rated at 10,500 mAh at5v powered a Pi3 with a DVB (?) dongle using Wi-Fi for 18.2h - an implied current draw of 580 mA. The load was about 100 planes per day. This was with the first full charge of the power bank.
                      So above, the cheap dongle, RPi via Wi-Fi ran for 18.2h on the 10,500 mAh battery pack.

The PiAware Prostick w/o filter ran for 15.8h with the same setup. (Gain set at 50)

Comment

So above, the cheap dongle, RPi via Wi-Fi ran for 18.2h on the 10,500 mAh battery pack.

The PiAware Prostick w/o filter ran for 15.8h with the same setup. (Gain set at 50)
                        Thanks for the update.

As the Flightaware Pro Stick has an rf amplifier chip (which the cheap generic dvb-t does not have), it consumes slightly more power,. Hence the battery lasted for slightly less duration.

Comment

Working...
                        X