Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi - [FAIL] FR24 Feeder/Decoder Process ... failed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raspberry Pi - [FAIL] FR24 Feeder/Decoder Process ... failed!

A couple of days ago I set up my new Raspberry Pi with the FR24 image following these instructions: https://www.flightradar24.com/build-your-own

Today I see on the FR24 site that my receiver has been offline since 8 in the morning.

I've tried various commands:

sudo fr24feed-status
    opens with: [FAIL] FR24 Feeder/Decoder Process ... failed!

I've also tried

sudo service fr24feed stop
    sudo service fr24feed start

sudo service fr24feed stop
    sudo fr24feed start

And also reboot of the Pi, shutdown of the Pie and even cutting power and restarting.

I'm lost and wonder where to go next...

I'm not sure if you are unfamiliar with using the 'new posts' function of vbulletin?. However I'm starting to end up like a broken record as a result of the same question being asked

Heck, a user asked 30mins ago the same..
    All about feeding data to Flightradar24 (The Flightradar24 receiver, Raspberry Pi and Windows feeding software). No discussions about Flightradar24 web or apps.

If you look at the latest threads/posts you will see the same complaints for the last month since the updates after 18-9 were released.

The short of it:
    Updates occur every day as a script

Unless you disable it, it will update to the latest version available from the one pre setup in the image
    All about feeding data to Flightradar24 (The Flightradar24 receiver, Raspberry Pi and Windows feeding software). No discussions about Flightradar24 web or apps.

It will fail and likely need fixing

Not the bottom examples on this page.

And the latest information from other users applying the image and needing to fix

Last edited by Oblivian; 2018-01-29, 12:06.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

And unfortunately, Until the image itself is updated and uploaded again.

We are all at the mercy of needing to use SSH/Commands to remedy.
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Oblivian,

Although I appreciate that you reply, if I understand you correctly and do not mistake what your intentions are, I cannot accept what you write. I find it even more frustrating when I see that you call yourself "Super Moderator".

Firstly, Oblivian, I did try to Google the error message that I see on my Raspberry Pi screen: FR24 Feeder/Decoder Process. All webpages that I find in the result includes the word “running” in the end. Mine say “failed!”. That is something completely different. At least here in Norway where I live.

Second. I searched this forum for the same: FR24 Feeder/Decoder Process. It responds with over 99 topics where either “FR24”, “Feeder/Decoder” or “Process” is written. That is 99 topics not related to my problem at all. It is easier to ask my own question.

Third. I did see the mention topic posted just 30 minutes prior to mine that you rant about. He talks about his software stopping all the time. Mine has stopped once. I am no computer guy at all and I’m thinking when reading his topic that there are a thousand different reasons to why FR24 would stop working. When reading the topic, I find nothing in it that supports that this is the same issue at all! You just respond with a link to a webpage explaining how I can remotely access my Raspberry Pi. Heck (as you so wisely said it), Oblivian, how is that going to help me solve the problem?

Fourth. Further down in your reply to me I can not find anything that assist me in solving the problem. You tell me what it is, yes, but that won’t do much good for me either. Are you telling me that I must reinstall everything and then disable the auto update? If you are – why are you not saying so instead of just telling me what causing the problem? And for the final part of your answer where you point me to the bottom examples of a certain forum post – what the heck am I looking at here? I bought the Raspberry Pi on Saturday, followed the supposedly easy to set up tutorial from FR24 and today it failed on me.

Fifth. A forum that responds so negative against noobs like myself, telling them “find out yourself” or “read the manual” or “this has been answered a hundred times before” really just accomplishes one thing: Scare away persons with the same interest. I have an interest in feeding data to FR24, but I am not very interested in how, why and what every transistor or resistor within the computer acting as a server does. If you find it so frustrating that a person like myself ask dumb questions I suggest you do not answer at all. “There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers”

Sixth leads me to the main reason for this reply: My feed is still offline.

Comment

@Hoggorm
          Cool down and take it easy. You are not the only one who is facing this, there are hundreds.

Oblivian has been of great help in present crisis. He is under tremendous pressure answering flood of posts on this issue. Give him space.

Comment

As with my later message mentioned in the most basic terms we are at the mercy of fr24 developers.
            That is the point being put across..

They have provided a failed produced for almost a month. (Hence new thread labelled feeder/dump1090 latest package issues dated at the time it was noticed. And then made sticky)

And as a result everyone is effected. Not just you, or the guy before you, or the next one. Everyone.

Abcd567 had replicated many users install methods. Including a fresh pi24 build as you applied and found an immediate issue with. His solution to fix was also supplied/included in that sticky.

Therefore as users doing what we can in a wider scale to help people with at least 8 known different reasons for the feeder to be offline since Tuesday 2 weeks ago when an update was pushed on everyone that stopped all DVBT sticks

Every update since then (6) has changed people circumstances and errors or experices.

For that reason we are trying to keep suggestions and known ways to fix the current outburst in around a central informative location. The threads I was pointing out that are discovered when using 'new posts' link

Are the most relevant to the current situation and could have been used to raise such Futher issues if not already discussed.

Google is always going to find more than you require. The same reason it is suggested to browse latest or use the search within forum/ threads function.

Similarly Facebook, email clients, and other platforms show latest information first where working backwards ensures you are not reinventing the wheel for a solution already provided. And got the most up to date data.

I'm not a part of that Dev team, and the forum calls me moderator automatically in that I can approve blocked posts. And move them. it's not something I chose. But if I didnt the issues we all face would be even more confusing.

If you consider this, despite appearing slightly different between user experiences. You can see how not joining the current conversations or waiting on the developers to fix things (who just some hours ago confirmed in those threads a problem was replicated and since released another version) But rather starting new posts while in this period is exasperating the issues for others looking for solutions so and how to resolve them individually.

If I had my way the image would be pulled from the download section the moment it occurred. And the temporary fix we found was advised (since also deleted as invalid now). But I don't have that luxury.

Remeber The official method for 1:1 support and the fr24 product is via the email helpdesk if I am being found not helpful. But hey, I'm an unpaid user just like you and spend hours of my own time trying to help the community as a whole. It's quite likely I'll upset a few people while trying to keep the masses on track.

Every time a 'fix' was/is produced. 4 more threads appear along the lines of please help. And every patch after changes those issues, and produces different requirements to fix. Cycle repeats

All of those fixes and suggestions are now not valid and it's very hard to keep on-top of deleting multiple cross conversations or invalid fix methods made redundant by another update. Imagine how many more hours users would be spent only to find it was a waste of time if these weren't cleaned up. Or no reply or suggestions to exsiting working posts was given.

For that reason it is suggested to partake in exisiting issues for maximum visibility and reach via all user 'new post in thread' notifications. Rather than ask about another.

And the same reason I see a screen with about 5 deleted, and 4 merged threads on the same day a change is made and we have discussed or been advised some changes have been made..

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
              @Hoggorm
              Cool down and take it easy. You are not the only one who is facing this, there are hundreds.

Oblivian has been of great help in present crisis. He is under tremendous pressure answering flood of posts on this issue. Give him space.
              It's cool. It was past 1am and I can seem short. The kiwi way doesn't often translate well in text

It's just not clear enough that everyone was/is broken. Which we're trying to best we can/able... Each user discovering it is always going to jump to 'it's probably just me or the server - what happened?' without it being public.

Not the most intuitive installer output compared to other packages. So questions will be raised unless it's automatic and just works.

Hopefully soon.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X