The Raspberry software (from FR24 IMG file) stops working all the time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Raspberry software (from FR24 IMG file) stops working all the time

I have used the IMG provided on the FR24 pages, and it works fine for a while, then just quits, and will never do anything useful again until I make a fresh install on the SD card. So maybe I should try what is described in this thread. But, since I am no expert on Linus I have to ask:

> "You don't need to connect any display , open putty soft & ssh on the IP."

What on earth does this mean...?? :-)
    As I understand, you control the the Pi from another computer, but how do I do that from a Windows PC?

Thanks!

Originally posted by ggranvik View Post
    I have used the IMG provided on the FR24 pages, and it works fine for a while, then just quits, and will never do anything useful again until I make a fresh install on the SD card. So maybe I should try what is described in this thread. But, since I am no expert on Linus I have to ask:

> "You don't need to connect any display , open putty soft & ssh on the IP."

What on earth does this mean...?? :-)
    As I understand, you control the the Pi from another computer, but how do I do that from a Windows PC?

Thanks!
    All about feeding data to Flightradar24 (The Flightradar24 receiver, Raspberry Pi and Windows feeding software). No discussions about Flightradar24 web or apps.
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

The Raspberry software (from FR24 IMG file) stops working all the time

I am no Linux expert, so when I set up my Raspberry Pi 3 in the beginning of lat December, I just used the IMG provided on the FR24 site. It worked fine until a couple of weeks ago, when it started to stop seeing any aircraft (and was marked "offline" on the FR24 site), or just quit working all together - which means I can't even get in contact with it through the ip address (:8754).

Restarting the FR24 software (when I can actually reach the thing) does not help, neither does rebooting the Pi. The only thing that can get it up and running again, is to wipe out the partions on the SD card, reformat, and reinstall the FR24 image. But I don't want to do that every day.....

I have seen this method suggested in another post, downloading the latest IMG and reinstalling in order to get the newest version, but as far as I can see the IMG provided on the FR24 site has been the same version since I first downloaded it (checked yesterday latest).

Having used computers since the stone age, when we interacted with our PCs through the MS-DOS command line, I don't mind having to try suggested solutions from a Linux command window - if I just find out how to get there without connecting the Pi to it's own display, mouse and keyboard.... :-)

Is the FR24 installation ready for use from this Putty thing? Or VNC?

Regards
      Geir

Comment

Check your email notifications. I replied in your original post an hour ago with how to connect to it
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

The only other requirement if it is not enabled by default. Is adding

ssh.txt to the card while in the card reader

Comment

Oh, sorry, I wasn't aware of that. Thanks!

Comment

Thanks for the help, I have now installed Putty, and have reached the Pi's command line

The first commands suggested in the post you referred to, didn't work unfortunately:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cd /usr/lib/fr24/
              pi@raspberrypi:/usr/lib/fr24 $ sudo ./instal_dump1090.sh
              sudo: ./instal_dump1090.sh: command not found

Also get "command not found" when I try the "fr24feed-status" command....

I am working on a fresh install from the IMG provided on FR24, which is apparently not the latest version (the package says version 1.0.18-9).

Comment

Run some of these and it'll show what bit is missing and needs rectifying

All about feeding data to Flightradar24 (The Flightradar24 receiver, Raspberry Pi and Windows feeding software). No discussions about Flightradar24 web or apps.

Comment

Hm, seems my answer disappeared into cyberspace, so I try again:

Thanks for the answer!

I made a fresh install of the SD card (although the version on the FR24 site is still 1.0.18-9, which is old as I understand), put that little txt-file in the root directory, installed Putty on my Windows PC, and have now reached the Pi's command line

Tried the commands in the post you referred to, but without any success it seems:

Tried your second suggestion, about that USB black list, and that seemed to result in things beeing saved. But I guess i won't see if that helps until the Pi attempts to update itself again?

BTW, "fr24feed-status" or "sudo fr24feed-status" (as I said, I am not very familiar with Linux, so I have no idea when to use that "sudo" command...) also results in "command not found". But the Pi is up and running again at least - so I guess I'll just have to see if it still is tomorrow.

Regards
                  Geir

Comment

It was moved.

AS the other thread is about installing multi feeding. Not current issues everyone is experiencing.

If I kept all the new threads created this past 2 weeks noone would find clear answers to issues and we would get back to the same boat of mid-fixes needing to be taken into acct by the updated versions of the feeder, or users breaking things they aren't sure how to revert due to not being their required fix.

sudo = temp admin rights

fr24feed-status was introduced at 19-x version not 18-9

18 requires sudo service fr24feed status (but is far too detailed)

It will update at 0700z and need more most likely.

Comment

Originally posted by ggranvik View Post
                      Tried your second suggestion, about that USB black list, and that seemed to result in things beeing saved. But I guess i won't see if that helps until the Pi attempts to update itself again?

BTW, "fr24feed-status" or "sudo fr24feed-status" (as I said, I am not very familiar with Linux, so I have no idea when to use that "sudo" command...) also results in "command not found". But the Pi is up and running again at least - so I guess I'll just have to see if it still is tomorrow.

Regards Geir
                      Hi Geir,

I can help you with this and multi-feeding setup in "Scandinavian" language. If you send me an email to mrmac@fastest.cc we can take it off the forum or in a chat.

Hälsningar / Marcus
                      F-ESDF1, F-ESGG1, F-ESGP1, F-ESNK1, F-ESNV2, F-ESNV3 F-ESSL4, F-ESNZ7, F-LFMN3
                      T-ESNL1, T-ESNL2, T-ESGR15
                      P-ESIA, P-ESIB, P-ESGF, P-ESSN, P-EFMA
                      mrmac (a) fastest.cc

Comment

OK, I finally got it to work!

I must have tried just about every command found on this forum, so I can't remember everything I did, but basically what seemed to fix it was:

- Reinstalled the FR24 IMG from the FR24 site - which is obsolete (If they could only upload a package that is up to date, and doesn't self cripple after a day...)
                        - System up and running, but that would only last till tomorrow morning of course...
                        - Ran a command that updated the FR24 feeder software - which made it stop again.
                        - Managed to install the missing Dump1090 thing (very unclear how I eventually managed that), and rebooted (several times I believe).
                        - Didn't work, just a big FAIL-message from fr24feed-status.
                        - Ran fr24feed -reconfigure, which failed because my email address was missing.
                        - Ran fr24feed –signup, and entered everything again.
                        - After restart, it suddenly worked! :-)

Now I only hope it will last...

Geir, T-ENRY36

Comment

Originally posted by ggranvik
                          Ok, thanks for your help!

Here's from the last attempts:

Missing the end l off install. If that was a copy paste do point out where for us to correct.

]

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                            Missing the end l off install. If that was a copy paste do point out where for us to correct.
                            Yes, it was a copy & paste, and I found back to the post now: https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...l=1#post100905

But I actually tried the command with two l's in install also, since i suspected it should be that way, but as I then has made a fresh install from the FR24 image (ver. 1.0.18-9), it wouldn't work anyway.

Comment

Ah yes. Unsure what broke in your instance as a straight image was used there and left 24hrs. So that was done on the assumption a left alone pi24 18-9 had reached 19 status where the changes did break.

Can be replicated by running the update script, the bash installer gets confused (is designed for raw raspian not pi24 image)

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X