Unable to install FR24Feeder on RPI 3 running Debian Stretch 2017-11-29

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to install FR24Feeder on RPI 3 running Debian Stretch 2017-11-29

I've been running FR24Feeder on an RPi 3 for nearly years without any problems. Today, I find that the SD Card has failed (it's done good service), so I went about a fresh install. Debian Stretch 2017-11-29 was installed and Updated/Upgraded. Using the new PDF Install Guide (thats covers all OS's) I used the second Install Option where the latest Version of FR24 is downloaded - v 1.0.19-2 as shown on the FR24 Site. This failed with an Error 404 ".File not Found". So I tried option 1, which is the method I had used originally, which starts with "sudo bash -c "$(wget -O" etc, and this started OK, but then failed with errors regarding "dpmanager" (or similar). I've then read something that this command has been deprecated in Stretch, but it can be downloaded - which I then did. Using Install Option 1 again then gave dozens of other errors.

I'm no Linux/RPi expert, so all I'm looking for is a quick method to get my Feeder software up and running again. Surely others must be having these same problems?

Thanks for any support anyone could give.

Peter Knight

The document is a little out of date (including the update date of 2014)

Which is why the 2nd link on the page was pointing to a forum post..

Be sure to do the appropriate secondary commands

We are happy to announce the release of MLAT based on Raspberry Pi receivers. If you would like to participate, please make sure you have the following: Raspberry Pi B+ or Raspberry Pi 2 DVB-T USB receiver with antenna Fairly good location to install the antenna Tests were performed on RPi B+ and RPi2 with Raspbian OS,

If running Raspbian Stretch, following is required to be installed beforehand:
    sudo apt-get install dirmngr
    sudo wget -O /etc/udev/rules.d/rtl-sdr.rules "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/osmocom/rtl-sdr/master/rtl-sdr.rules"
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Annnnd that section from the top has now vanished. (but still in manual steps)

have a go at the step by step process and see if it works out any better.
      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by PeterPNut View Post
        I've been running FR24Feeder on an RPi 3 for nearly years without any problems. Today, I find that the SD Card has failed (it's done good service), so I went about a fresh install. Debian Stretch 2017-11-29 was installed and Updated/Upgraded. Using the new PDF Install Guide (thats covers all OS's) I used the second Install Option where the latest Version of FR24 is downloaded - v 1.0.19-2 as shown on the FR24 Site. This failed with an Error 404 ".File not Found". So I tried option 1, which is the method I had used originally, which starts with "sudo bash -c "$(wget -O" etc, and this started OK, but then failed with errors regarding "dpmanager" (or similar). I've then read something that this command has been deprecated in Stretch, but it can be downloaded - which I then did. Using Install Option 1 again then gave dozens of other errors.

I'm no Linux/RPi expert, so all I'm looking for is a quick method to get my Feeder software up and running again. Surely others must be having these same problems?

Thanks for any support anyone could give.

Peter Knight
        I have successfully installed fr24feeder v 1.0.19-2 on "2017-11-29-raspbian-stretch-lite.img" two hours ago.

I have posted the STEP-BY-STEP instructions here an hour ago:
        https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...l=1#post100001

Settings and Result (screenshots) here:
        https://forum.flightradar24.com/threads/11589-dump1090-missing-in-latest-debian-package?p=100020&viewfull=1#post100020

Comment

Thanks very much for the very fast reply, and the details therein. Incidentally, I was attempting this using the full version of Stretch, but I suspect that this would have made no difference.

I needed FR24Feed up-and-running asap, and so I resorted to Rasbian Jessie (which took two hours to Update/Upgrade), and then found that I needed to install "dump1090-mutuality" manually (there are several other Posts on here giving details of this), after which all is running OK again.

I will, however, create another FR24Feed SD Card with Stretch using your instructions, and see what happens with that!

Many thanks again fore the quick reply - I am sure there are many other "out there" with similar problems, or will be having the same problem if they need to create a new FR24Feed system.

Regards

Peter Knight

Comment

Originally posted by PeterPNut View Post
            ....and then found that I needed to install "dump1090-mutuality" manually (there are several other Posts on here giving details of this), after which all is running OK again....
            Those who posted method to install dump1090-mutability were not aware that the new version of fr24feeder INCLUDES installation of dump1090-mutability.

The confusion occurred because they found in new version dump1090-mr is missing, but did not realize that in its place dump1090-mutability is being installed, because it was installed in a folder different than where dump1090-mr used to be installed.

After this fact was known, the moderator has deleted those posts so that other persons dont unnecessarily install dump1090-mutability over and above the integral dump1090-mutality of fr24feed.

Please read this post: https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...ll=1#post99993

Comment

Thanks very much for the Reply, and for the instructions. From these I note where the "official" documentation is missing some details:

(Your Step 2)

sudo apt-get install dirmngr
              sudo apt-get install librtlsdr0

So, I have run the following (with FlightAware RTL Dongle connected):

sudo apt-get update (Done)
              sudo apt-get upgrade (Done)
              sudo apt-get install dirmngr (Done)
              sudo apt-get install librtlsdr0 (Done)
              sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - etc - htt //repo.feed.flightradar24.com/install_fr24_rpi.sh)" (I cant post the full address because the Forum disallows this).

Then follows entering the usual Account details...........

sudo reboot

apt-cache policy fr24feed
              fr24feed:
              Installed: 1.0.18-9
              Candidate: 1.0.18-9
              Version table:
              *** 1.0.18-9 500
              500 //repo.feed.flightradar24.com flightradar24/raspberrypi-stable armhf Packages
              100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

(Note that it hasn't picked-up v1.0.19-2, and also get a "404 File not Found" Error if try a direct download of v1.0.129-2)

Anyway, no errors so far - but no output from the Receiver.

So.....

sudo systemctl stop dump1090-mutability
              /usr/bin/dump1090-mutability
              Thu Jan 18 09:43:33 2018 UTC dump1090-mutability v1.14 starting up.
              Found 1 device(s):
              0: Realtek, RTL2832UFA, SN: 00001000 (currently selected)
              usb_claim_interface error -6
              Error opening the RTLSDR device: Device or resource busy

Then tried your SDRRules fix:

sudo wget -O /etc/udev/rules.d/rtl-sdr.rules " etc.......
              --2018-01-18 09:44:56--
              Resolving raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)... 151.101.16.133
              Connecting to raw.githubusercontent.com (raw.githubusercontent.com)|151.101.16.133|:443... connected.
              HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
              Length: 5794 (5.7K) [text/plain]
              Saving to: ‘/etc/udev/rules.d/rtl-sdr.rules’

sudo reboot

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
              permitted by applicable law.
              Last login: Thu Jan 18 09:46:17 2018
              pi@FR24Feeder:~ $ sudo systemctl stop dump1090-mutability
              pi@FR24Feeder:~ $ /usr/bin/dump1090-mutability
              Thu Jan 18 09:48:01 2018 UTC dump1090-mutability v1.14 starting up.
              Found 1 device(s):

Still the same problem. I seem to remember something like this with the very early versions of Raspbian, where the OS took control of the SDR Stick, and we had to "blacklist" the SDR Stick to prevent the OS of grabbing it. Is this what is happening now?

Here's hoping someone has an answer to this!

Thanks

Peter Knight

Comment

19-2 has been revoked from the repository to stop further errors like originally experienced. Hence the 404s and so on.

You are correct. The stick is in-use or needing blacklist removal. But unless its a fresh raspian install should still be blacklisted.
                As 18-9 has rolled back out, there is a chance both now Dump1090 MR AND -mutability are present on your install.

Will need to follow the killall / pgrep -l dump1090 commands or possibly pick a preferred one, remove all 3 components and run the 18-9 installer again. However there is a new one in the works.

ABCD567 has now done a couple of test scenarios for fixing and posted that may give an idea.

Comment

Thanks for the reply!

It's all rather getting beyond a joke now! I act as a technical support person for several schools, and for most of these schools the RPi has become a "Caveat Emptor" device for any student considering an A-Level project using it.

Between myself, three other schools, and eight 6th Form students, we have now attempted to get a working FR24Feed device, using six different RPi's and four different types of RTL Dongle - all of which have, in the past, operated fine with FR24Feeder.

We have used the last version of Jessie (May 2017) and the latest version of Stretch, both Full and Lite.

In all tests we are now seeing the 19-5 version of FRFeed, and the installation goes through fine, but, with all systems we are seeing this after the install:

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
                  permitted by applicable law.
                  Last login: Sat Jan 20 11:22:06 2018 from 10.131.17.11
                  pi@FR24Feeder:~ $ sudo systemctl stop dump1090-mutability
                  pi@FR24Feeder:~ $ /usr/bin/dump1090-mutability
                  Sat Jan 20 11:36:22 2018 UTC dump1090-mutability v1.14 starting up.
                  Found 1 device(s):

pi@FR24Feeder:~ $ lsusb
                  Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:2832 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL2832U DVB-T
                  Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMSC9512/9514 Fast Ethernet Adapter
                  Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9512 Standard Microsystems Corp. SMC9512/9514 USB Hub
                  Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

Looking in this Forum for the "Error -6" gives dozens of Posts, most of which state that a new Blacklist Rule should be created (such as no-rtl-conf) in etc/modeprobe.d. However, I see that the "Workaround" as shown in your installation details already performs this function. But out of sheer desperation we have all tried varying "blacklist rtl2832u" "blacklist rtl2832" "blacklist rtl28xxu" in /etc/modprobe.d/no-rtl-conf. We have also tried adding a new File "blacklist rtl12xxxu" with the same contents - But all to no avail.

Help! Please somebody!

I don't know whether to start a new Post regarding this - it seems to me that someone should write a definitive guide to the RPi installation, covering the various Rasbian OS's, and the pitfalls that are likely to occur.

In the meantime, one of the schools in question has moved over to a Windows PC - as their tutor stated to me: "My students are studying 4 or 5 A-Level Courses, and they only have a finite amount of time, and researching this problem is over-stretching this time". I feel for them.

Best Regards

Peter Knight

Comment

I think the instruction given to STOP dump1090 is bung.

Notice straight after you do this..

Sat Jan 20 11:36:22 2018 UTC dump1090-mutability v1.14 starting up.

It's starting, not stopping the one already running. Which will lock the USB

Use the pgrep -l dump1090
                    And Sudo kill-9 <I'd>

The method we as users now suggest is don't fix a broken one, don't use the upgrade.

Purge the apps or fresh image a pi and use the manual install route.

Short of making everyone mailbomb the support line for action

Comment

I don't know whether to start a new Post regarding this - it seems to me that someone should write a definitive guide to the RPi installation, covering the various Rasbian OS's, and the pitfalls that are likely to occur.
                      As for that.. we (myself and ABCD567 and anyone else that not only asks for help but shares their issue/solution in detail) be trying in the now generic dump1090 upgrade issues thread..

And trying it is :/

Way too many variables tried to 'fix' the 19-2 rollout introducing their own issues.

Comment

Working...
                      X