Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry PI installation made too easy with extra feature.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The stats for one of my remotely located feeders ( RPi 3B and Prostick Plus running this install version ) changed significantly in early September, with range and hits/reports dropping by 25% in one day. Since then, the stats have continued to drop slowly to about 10-30% of its original 'reported' performance. I've been wondering if its a hardware issue, too large a log file or just a stats issue/aberration.

Then on Friday afternoon, the area where its located was hit by wild weather including 40 lightning strikes within 3km and 3 within 750m. The feeder went offline in the middle of the storm ( I guessing the Prostick is zapped ) and the router lost connection about 16 hours later ( probably power circuit breaker has tripped and the battery backup then drained ). So I'm making a site visit tomorrow to see whats left and to take along some replacement equipment.

Today, I'm making a new SD Card today with the log turned off. In case the RPi is becoming sluggish because its running continuously, I'm also thinking of adding a cron job to give it a routine kickstart. What do the wise ones suggest ? Should the cron job reboot the Pi or just restart the FR24 service ?

Thanks

ylis

Comment

For anyone who's interested, I opted to have the cron job reboot in the early hours each morning.

Cheers

ylis

Comment

The log file setting has always been a bit screwy (i.e. ignored!). This thread has a logrotate script that seems to work

Comment

Wow this is a very cool setup.
          I've gotten the dump1090 up and running nicely, no problems there, it shows nice maps, stats everything.
          But when I go to configure the FR24 on port 8754, I get an error, there is no reply on the port.
          I've done all the updates I can think of.

I've now run the
          sudo bash -c "$(wget -O - repo dot feed dot flightradar24 dot com slash install_fr24_rpi.sh)"
          It redownloaded the fr24, and that made the FR24 work, now I hope I haven't screwed up everything else.
          When asked, I just let it do auto-configure.
          For some reason it shows
          avr-tcp, Connected
          instead of DVB-C, but I think that's the only thing.
          It feeds to FR24, and the radar image shows, which is REALLY nice :-)
          I'm contemplating doing something to make the radar image available from the outside, but I don't want all the other stuff to be available.
          So I guess I have to figure out something with a reverse proxy. Has anybody else done this, and founds something really lightweight?

Comment

Originally posted by fribse View Post
            For some reason it shows
            avr-tcp, Connected
            instead of DVB-C, but I think that's the only thing.
            It feeds to FR24, and the radar image shows, which is REALLY nice :-)
            I'm contemplating doing something to make the radar image available from the outside, but I don't want all the other stuff to be available.
            So I guess I have to figure out something with a reverse proxy. Has anybody else done this, and founds something really lightweight?
            Thats a good thing. The wizard has detected a source for data and latched onto it.
            Chosing DVBT would cause the script to blindly overwrite your Dump1090 settings - don't

You can change the format to beast-tcp on 30005 however if it appears unstable on ar/30002

I use nginx proxy with .htaccess user accounts which may do what you require. If you are lucky ABCD567 may expand on it as an optional step. But you direct an out of the norm external port, nginx catches it and forwards to correct internal once user verified
            Last edited by Oblivian; 2018-11-13, 09:39.
            Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Hi...I'm new to Raspberry Pi, FlightRadar24, ADS-B, etc....I'm absolutely fascinated by aviation and my experience using FlightRadar24, and because of that I immediately set up my own FR24 feed with an ADS-B USB dongle to contribute to the FR24 network. Everything is working perfectly for several days now.

Here are my two very basic questions:

1) In using the FR24 website under the Business Plan that you get for hosting a receiver and feed on a Pi, I was trying to find a way where I can see essentially the default map view but with only my feed's data on it. I'm very curious to see what my receiver is receiving, super-imposed on a map display that shows me only my traffic. Is that what this thread is discussing doing? And the original first post contains the details for installing all of the needed components to do that from a pre-built image, instead of me piecing everything together on my own?

2) In my "FR24 Feeder Tracked Aircraft" list on the Port 8754 status page in my browser, I see a lot of entries every day that say "Callsign: N/A" and the Lat/Long and Altitude fields are also sometimes N/A but other times some of them contain data. Can someone explain why I'm receiving something from those aircraft, but not enough to identify their Callsign and Lat/Long consistently?

Any feedback you can give on these intro questions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

John
              Last edited by anydanow1; 2019-02-11, 19:45.

Comment

8754 does not give such info which you have listed.

May be you mean map/aircraft table on 8080?

Comment

1) You can use Radar View and then under settings enter the local IP of your receiver. That will per default color what you receive in red.

There is also the local web interface, try http://192.168.x.xx/dump1090 and replace the x.xx with the numbers for your Pi. (no overlay of other data though, only local data)

2) Aircraft can send up to 30 messages per second containing different pieces of information. One message for example could be altitude. Position is only transmitted twice a second, so it could well be that you are missing the position but getting other details.
                  A better antenna or a filter might help with that. (Or moving the antenna outside, which is a huge plus in terms of reception)

Comment

IMG_2301.jpg

Hi abcd567....When I go to myip:8754/tracked.html, I see the data in the attached photo flowing onto the "FR24 Feeder Tracked Aircraft List", and it's within that data in the photo that you can see the N/A fields that I'm referring to and the missing Call Signs.
                    Last edited by anydanow1; 2019-02-12, 01:39.

Comment

Mode-S / No GPS integration only

Available by MLAT on map.
                      Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

@anydanow1:

"Lat: N/A" and "Long: N/A" and missing Call Signs is very normal thing, as a lot of airplanes do NOT transmit their position data and/or Call Sign. These planes are NOT plotted on map as these lack position data.

There is nothing wrong in your system. You are not the only one who gets like this. Every one has this.
                        Last edited by abcd567; 2019-02-12, 01:52.

Comment

Hi wiedehopf....Thanks for your guidance! I got my IP from ifconfig > wlan0 > inet and it didn't start with 192.168. But once I used the IP I retrieved in combination with /dump1090 after it then a map with my few tracked planes at the time did indeed open. Great! Just what I wanted! (any way to get rid of the "For development purposes only" text on the map?) I then plugged that same IP into localhost in Radar view and saw my red tracked icons there as well. So both methods worked. Thank you! Tomorrow I will move my whole setup to the upstairs of the house and get the antenna at least into a window to improve my reception.

Have a good night!
                          Last edited by anydanow1; 2019-02-12, 01:58.

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                            @anydanow1:

"Lat: N/A" and "Long: N/A" is very normal thing, as a lot of airplanes do NOT transmit their position data.

You are not the only one who gets like this. Every one has this.

OK, thanks abcd567. Have a good evening!

Comment

Originally posted by anydanow1 View Post
                              (any way to get rid of the "For development purposes only" text on the map?)
                              Are you using the pi24 image right now?

I would recommend option 3 or option 4 from here: https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...24-Data-Feeder

In option 3 using dump1090-fa is probably easier than dump1090-mutability 1.15 as the second one needs to be compiled.
                              Anyway it is all explained quite well in the thread.

If you are currently using the sd-card image from this thread then you probably used the DVBT(USB) option in the fr24 configuration. That is the wrong option, it leads to installation of an old version of dump1090 with the mentioned google maps. (the new versions use openstreetmap)

(/etc/fr24feed.ini should look like this:

Code:
                              receiver="beast-tcp"
                              fr24key="xxxxxxx_your_key_xxxxxx"
                              host="127.0.0.1:30005"
                              bs="no"
                              raw="no"
                              logmode="1"
                              logpath="/var/log/"
                              mlat="yes"
                              mlat-without-gps="yes"
                              use-http=yes
                              http-timeout=20
                              )
                              Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-02-12, 04:44.

Comment

Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
                                Are you using the pi24 image right now?

I would recommend option 3 or option 4 from here: https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...24-Data-Feeder

In option 3 using dump1090-fa is probably easier than dump1090-mutability 1.15 as the second one needs to be compiled.
                                Anyway it is all explained quite well in the thread.

If you are currently using the sd-card image from this thread then you probably used the DVBT(USB) option in the fr24 configuration. That is the wrong option, it leads to installation of an old version of dump1090 with the mentioned google maps. (the new versions use openstreetmap)

(/etc/fr24feed.ini should look like this:

Code:
                                receiver="beast-tcp"
                                fr24key="xxxxxxx_your_key_xxxxxx"
                                host="127.0.0.1:30005"
                                bs="no"
                                raw="no"
                                logmode="1"
                                logpath="/var/log/"
                                mlat="yes"
                                mlat-without-gps="yes"
                                use-http=yes
                                http-timeout=20
                                )
                                My SD card came with this Pi kit that I bought for my son the other day and it's running the latest version of Raspbian.

After getting the Pi up and running, I followed these instructions to install and configure FR24 and get it running with the ADS-B USB stick I bought:

...and on that page I started in the middle where it says "If you already have Raspbian installed and don’t wish to start from scratch, then this is the best option for you.....". I followed those instructions from the middle of the page down.

It's all running reliably now...and THEN I found this forum and what seem like better options for viewing my personal receiver data.

Is there any way to "fix" what I've already done to give me the better looking dump1090-fa output, or do I have to wipe out my whole Pi setup and start from scratch?

My ini file looks like this:

receiver="dvbt"
                                fr24key="xxxxx my key xxxxx"
                                bs="no"
                                raw="no"
                                logmode="1"
                                logpath="/var/log/fr24feed"
                                mlat="yes"
                                mlat-without-gps="yes"

John

Comment

Working...