New Linux Installation - can start feed but not as service

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Linux Installation - can start feed but not as service

I've made a new installation under Linux, and I can successfully feed data using the command sudo fr24feed start. (The data sharing page confirms feeding is working.) But I cannot start the feeder as a SERVICE. I get a message "Unit fr24feed.service not found".

I've followed the instructions in Appendix A 11 of the fr24feed manual, and eveything is fine up to this point. I expect this is a simple Linux problem rather than anything to do with the fr24 software. Is there something (not in the manual) that one has to do to register a program as a service?

Try systemctl

sudo systemctl restart fr24feed
    sudo systemctl stop fr24feed
    sudo systemctl status fr24feed -l

Comment

Thanks, but no luck:

arwen@arwen ~/fr24feed_amd64 $ sudo systemctl start fr24feed
      Failed to start fr24feed.service: Unit fr24feed.service not found.

I'm wondering if there are any other steps in the installation I need to follow.

1. I downloaded the .tgz file, extracted it - all I got was a folder with three files in it (fr24feed, LICENSE.fr24feed and version.txt).
      2. I was able to run the signup procedure, but it was looking for a fr24feed.ini file in /etc, so I had to go and make it one, which it then updated.
      3. Are there any other files one is supposed to have, which aren't mentioned in the fr24feed manual, I wonder?

Comment

Which linux and which processor you have?

I have installed it on Raspberry Pi (ARM), Debian (Raspbian jessie), and "service" is there. The installation script "install_fr24_rpi.sh" itself uses service. See below:

#!/bin/bash

# Stop on first error
        set -e

if [ "$(id -u)" != "0" ]; then
        echo "This script must be run as root" 1>&2
        exit 1
        fi

# Import GPG key for the APT repository
        gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 40C430F5
        gpg --armor --export 40C430F5 | apt-key add -

# Add APT repository to the config file, removing older entries if exist
        mv /etc/apt/sources.list /etc/apt/sources.list.bak
        grep -v flightradar24 /etc/apt/sources.list.bak > /etc/apt/sources.list || echo OK
        echo 'deb http://repo.feed.flightradar24.com flightradar24 raspberrypi-stable' >> /etc/apt/sources.list

# Update APT cache and install feeder software
        apt-get update -y
        apt-get install fr24feed -y

# Stop older instances if exist
        service fr24feed stop || echo OK

# Run the signup wizard
        fr24feed --signup
        chmod a+rw /etc/fr24feed.ini

# Restart the feeder software
        service fr24feed restart

echo "Installation and configuration completed!"

Comment

The "service" is not part of the fr24feed. It is part of the sysvinit-utils package, which normally gets installed when Linux is intalled.

If it is missing, install it with following command:
          Code:
          apt-get install sysvinit-utils
          But most probably, it is already installed in /usr/sbin/service.

If it is installed, but missing in your $PATH, add this line to your ~/.bashrc:
          Code:
          PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin
          Last edited by abcd567; 2017-06-27, 21:34.

Comment

To take the last post first, yes I do have a "service" in /usr/sbin and I tried adding the PATH statement to .bashrc, but still no change.

Moving to your earlier post, the feed manual talks about an install script for the Pi, exactly as you have there, but it doesn't say anything about a script for Linux generally. I'm using Mint 18.1 on an Intel NUC. I'm going to try working through the steps in the Pi script and see what they do!

Thanks again.

Comment

And after trying the script steps - it fails at sudo apt-get install fr24feed.

arwen@arwen ~ $ sudo apt-get install fr24feed
              Reading package lists... Done
              Building dependency tree
              Reading state information... Done
              E: Unable to locate package fr24feed

Suddenly Windows 10 doesn't seem so bad after all.

Comment

Originally posted by EGPE3 View Post
                To take the last post first, yes I do have a "service" in /usr/sbin and I tried adding the PATH statement to .bashrc, but still no change.
                Try adding /service in path, like this
                Code:
                PATH=$PATH:/usr/sbin/service

Comment

Originally posted by EGPE3 View Post
                  And after trying the script steps - it fails at sudo apt-get install fr24feed.

arwen@arwen ~ $ sudo apt-get install fr24feed
                  Reading package lists... Done
                  Building dependency tree
                  Reading state information... Done
                  E: Unable to locate package fr24feed

Suddenly Windows 10 doesn't seem so bad after all.
                  That script is designed exclusively for Debian, archtecture arm.

For other architecture/linux version, download .tgz file, as you have already done.

Comment

Well I seem to have made some progress at last, so thanks for the encouragement to keep going. I went back to the Linux download page on the site, and tried the "debian package" link, rather than the AMD64 archive (which I chose since I have a 64 bit system). Anyway, this immediately offered to fire up an installation routine, put all sorts of stuff in all sorts of useful places, and even offered not to overwrite my existing configuration file, whcih was kind.

And - once I had deactivated my existing dump1090 version, the service fired up and started transmitting data! Now my only question is, why could they not have put something in the manual explaining the three download links?! There's loads of detail about Pi, and next to nothing about mainstream Linux. Oh well, we pass this way but once.

The installation did clobber my existing dump1090, but as the feed to my VirtualRadar installation is still working, I'm not too bothered about that.

So thanks again for the support: we got there eventually!

Comment

Working...
                    X