X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Antonf
    replied
    Originally posted by Antonf View Post
    1. After I started from scratch with a new Pi 3B the problem I had was something of the past. Notice however that the feeder shows offline although it is definitely on. Why would that happen?
    2. Is there any way to get notification that the feeder is offline other than the e-mail sent by FR24?
    3. How does the Pi running FR24 connect to the Flightfeeder if the latter's IP address change?
    Thanks in advance!!

Seems I have found the source of the problems - I have now assigned static IPs to both devices...

Leave a comment:

• Antonf
    replied
    1. After I started from scratch with a new Pi 3B the problem I had was something of the past. Notice however that the feeder shows offline although it is definitely on. Why would that happen?
    2. Is there any way to get notification that the feeder is offline other than the e-mail sent by FR24?
    3. How does the Pi running FR24 connect to the Flightfeeder if the latter's IP address change?
    Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by Antonf; 2022-09-26, 05:31. Reason: Edit: Question 3

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    Originally posted by Antonf View Post

I'm a NOOB iro Pi - can I do this remotely?
    What do you mean by "remotely"?

If by "remotely" you mean from a Computer connected to same local network (router) as the Pi, then answer is yes, you can, by using SSH.

How To Access and Control RPi from Desktop/Laptop using SSH

Last edited by abcd567; 2022-09-08, 23:03.

Leave a comment:

• Antonf
    replied
    Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
    Show the output for this command:

cat /etc/fr24feed.ini

and

fr24feed-status
    I'm a NOOB iro Pi - can I do this remotely?

Leave a comment:

• wiedehopf
    replied
    Show the output for this command:

cat /etc/fr24feed.ini

and

fr24feed-status

Leave a comment:

• Antonf
    replied
    Help please!
    I have a flightaware feeder that also feeds a Pi 3 that feeds FR24 - the setting up done with the use of this thread and kind assistance by abcd567 . I was away for a few days and didn't check my FR24 status. This morning I notice that the Pi shows online but no data is sent to FR24. I rebooted both the Flightaware feeder and the Pi, still shows online, still no data feeding. The flightaware is feeding data.

What can be the issue?
    Last edited by Antonf; 2022-09-08, 07:58.

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    Do NOT claim, as it will create a mess because you already have a fr24key and station number, which you have obtained by running command "sudo fr24feed --signup"

You can see your
    (1) Station ID on ip-of-pi:8754/

(2) fr24key on ip-of-pi:8754/settings.html
    Last edited by abcd567; 2022-07-22, 20:25.

Leave a comment:

• SD_Mark
    replied
    Success (so it seems)! Many thanks for the key step in starting fr24feed - it appears I am feeding data now. At IP-of-pi:8754 I can see a list of the planes tracked, but no graphical representation. At FR24.com I can filter on my radar feed name and see just "my" planes - which appears to match what FA is seeing (so I think it's all OK).
    I presume at some point now FR24 realizes my account is sending in data (since I gave my email address in the setup here, and that's in my FR24 account), or do I need to go "claim" my signal in order to get an account upgrade?

Again, thanks a lot!
    --Mark

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    @ SD_Mark

(1) Run following command

sudo fr24feed --signup

You will be asked to entered your email, latitude, longitude, elevation etc.

(2) After the signup is completed, run following command

sudo systemctl restart fr24feed

(3) Wait for 5 minutes, then do following 2 things

​​​​​​(a) Give following command:
    sudo fr24feed-status

(b) In a web browser, go to following page and see status
    IP-of-Pi:8754

Last edited by abcd567; 2022-07-22, 03:08.

Leave a comment:

• SD_Mark
    replied
    I was given a RaspberryPi and decided to try to use it for flight tracking, so bought a RTL-SDR dongle and 1090 antenna.
    [Note - I'm completely new to RPi and Linux (mostly), so the answer to my question(s) below might be staring me in the face, but I'm just not seeing/understanding it. Apologies in advance.]

I installed PiAware, and that seems to be working fine - I'm getting dozens of planes out to about 100nm and the feed is getting to flightaware.com/skyaware

My next step was to implement FR24 - and I started at the top of this thread (Option D), so I downloaded the .deb file from the FR24 "share-your-data" page and ran dpkg
    The message I got back puzzled me:
    Unpacking fr24feed (1.0.29-10) ...
    Setting up fr24feed (1.0.29-10) ...
    You don't seem to have any dump1090 installed. On the fr24feed start it will automatically install dump1090-mutability.
    Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/fr24feed.service → /etc/systemd/system/fr24feed.service.

I would have thought I had some version of dump1090 running (to get data to FlightAware). Additionally I followed another link to the "How to Install dump1090-mutability on RPi"post (also by abcd567) and it says right off the bat:
    "NOTE:
    (1) Do NOT install the dump1090-mutability on Pi24 img and Piaware img. Both these images already have their integral dump1090.
    "

Which I think confirms my thought that the PiAware install should be running 1090dump in some form.
    I restarted the Pi - hoping the fr24feed service would start up and "do whatever" - install dump1090-mutability (?); however nothing seemed to change. I checked the running services - piaware was running, but there was no sign of fr24feed. (nor of any service with 1090 in its name - should there be?)

I tried a manual start of the service: sudo service fr24feed restart

but again, nothing happened. There is a file at /etc/systemd/system/fr24feed.service - and there's data in it, but I don't know the syntax well enough to understand what it's trying to do.

I also tried to connect to 192.168.1.26:8754/settings.html (per a screen grab earlier in this thread that was talking about setting up the parameters for the feed) - but I get an "Unable to connect" message from my browser. (192.168.1.26 is the Pi)

At this point my near-complete lack of understanding Linux has kicked in. It seems like there needs to be some service running (fr24feed?) that will send data to FR24 - akin to the piaware service I assume is sending data to FA, but I have no clue how to get it started and how to proceed. I hope that once it gets running I will be able to access it via the port :8754 link (although that's a guess - I didn't see that spelled out anywhere - just in the address bar in the screen grab). Is that the right procedure at that point?

FWIW, I did turn off MLAT (in fr24feed.ini) in anticipation of this working - but I feel confident that has no impact on anything else going on here.

If anyone on here has some thoughts on how to get this working, I'd love to hear them. I may yet try coming at it from the other direction - start with a blank SD and install FR24 first and then try to add Piaware, but I fear that I'm doing something fundamentally wrong here that will torpedo that approach as well.

Thanks in advance.

[Update] I ran a "netstat" and see dump1090-fa has data out on :30002 thru :30005 and :30104 fa-mlat-client out on :30105 and :30106
    is the problem that FR24 needs some other dump1090 process running?
    Last edited by SD_Mark; 2022-07-21, 22:38.

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied
    Originally posted by nick223 View Post

And i keep MLAT turned off on both programs?
    Turning off mlat is requirement of FR24, so keep it off in fr24feed configuration. (/etc/fr24feed.ini)

Since to turn off MLAT in Piaware settings is NOT flightaware's requirement, dont do any changes in piaware default config, so the FA mlat will remain on.

Leave a comment:

• nick223
    replied
    Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
    OK you have Buster, so don't try to uograde it to Bullseye as as it is a very time consuming and big upgrade. Instead install piaware package for Buster.

(1) First remove what you have tried to install

Code:
    sudo apt --fix-broken install

sudo dpkg --purge piaware-repository

sudo apt update
    (2) Next install oiaware for Buster

Code:
    wget https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages/pool/piaware/p/piaware-support/piaware-repository_7.2~bpo10+1_all.deb

sudo dpkg -i piaware-repository_7.2~bpo10+1_all.deb

sudo apt update

sudo apt install piaware
    And i keep MLAT turned off on both programs?

Leave a comment:

• nick223
    replied
    OK you have Buster, so don't try to uograde it to Bullseye as as it is a very time consuming and big upgrade. Instead install piaware package for Buster.

Code:

sudo apt update

Code:
    wget https://flightaware.com/adsb/piaware/files/packages/pool/piaware/p/piaware-support/piaware-repository_7.2~bpo10+1_all.deb

sudo apt update

sudo apt install piaware
    Thank you That worked

Leave a comment:

• abcd567
    replied

Code:

sudo apt update

Code:

sudo apt update  

sudo apt install piaware

Leave a comment:

• nick223
    replied
    It seems you have older version of OS(Stretch or Buster), and trying to install a piaware version for Bullseye. To know your OS version, please issue following command and post it's outputs.

lsb_release -a

No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID: Raspbian
    Description: Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)
    Release: 10
    Codename: buster

it was the pre made FR image i used years ago. i tried to update/ upgrade but it only updates the FR and Piaware programs not the pi. Is the premade FR image locked or something?

im using a pi 4

Leave a comment:

Working...
X