Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you're feeding FR24 DONT touch this button!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SoCalBrian
    replied
    It's been talked about before long time ago and maybe need to think about it again.

Release Notes/Minor changes notes and possiblely other columns(What Changed) page somewhere on FR24 website would be great to start with. It doesn't have to be daily it could be weekly or monthly.
    Like other said above. Give advance notice if it could affect other changes on user side (change of user radar code,etc)

FR24 already does it on the app page for iOS and Google Play ,etc.

Leave a comment:

• Khan
    replied
    Gregg,

Thank you for explaining it for my understanding.

The system checks the new coordinates and compares them to the nearest airport and if it finds the same airport, nothing changes but if it's another one, only then coordinates are updated. As you know the db is updated continuously and that's why these changes occur.

As Oblivion mentioned that a lot of guys use their alias for identification, it's not good to have it changed. The reason why I think it's good to disable alias change at least for now is Oblivion's reason plus most people like you are adjusting them very slightly and that shouldn't change their aliases. In case somebody moves to a completely different location which does require a change in alias, they could write to us for that. Of course, this is a short term fix and can be improved upon later if a good idea comes along.

And I accept the blame for not informing the forum about this because my initial idea was to roll all this out with stat page upgrades but because of the huge number of requests for coordinates change, I decided to just go with it in the previous release.

I am not sure if you are aware of it or not but we are working on adding more stats to Individual stats page. I will of course upload a sample screenshot but I don't want to do it now as one of the devs who is working on it is away.

Leave a comment:

• fungus
    replied
    Originally posted by Khan View Post
    This was done because support gets alot requests for coordinates change. It seems like changing of alias bothers people so we will disable that part. Do note that everything is connected to Sharing Key so even if your alias changes, it doesn't affect your stats. In the next release, alias will not change by updating your coordinates.
    Khan,

I'm not sure if you've understood the point of my post. It's not that it just changes your alias, although some guys get to like their alias which gives them a sense of identity and as Oblivian goes on to say in this thread, allows for some sense of where you sit with other feeders in your locality and within FR24. It's more that one has no idea that simply altering their coordinates, even by a minimal amount, may change their alias and leave them oblivious to what's going on. I wasn't aware of what I'd done until I'd contacted support then had time to consider what was going on while I awaited a response.

You state that it has no effect on the stats page but we don't know that. There's nothing to indicate to us what the outcome of clicking on that icon and altering coordinates is going to be. It's not even labelled. There is nothing on that stats page or anywhere else as I stated originally to indicate what it even is.

I'd even go as far as saying that very few uploaders would've even been aware it was an option. This has been a bugbear of mine for numerous years when moderating the chat (or attempting to) in that very few if any of us were aware of changes or even what was in the previous version let alone how to offer advice or help to members. I don't moderate the chat these days as that is one thing that hasn't changed.

Is it at all possible to let people know what's going on with new updates or releases so we can help take some of the pressure off support? Particularly the moderators who are forced to fend off these enquiries simply because they aren't told answers to the most basic of questions.

This whole thread is indicative of the fact that there are so many unkowns within FR24 and look at the consequence.

Regards,
    Gregg
    Last edited by fungus; 2017-06-08, 10:08.

Leave a comment:

• Khan
    replied
    It's being worked on actively. Just a few hurdles in the middle before implementation

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    (an opt-in option for feed offline (or no data for x days) alerting may be a nice addition...)

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    It'd bring it inline with some of the other providers contribution warnings.

I find out fast when my connection is down, I get multiple emails from feeders and weather underground alerting of my weather station offline.

Leave a comment:

• Khan
    replied
    Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
    Indeed, Pondered the suggestion in the past of deleting old accounts.

Or mailbombing with a 90 day warning or similar. With suspension before deletion after 6 months
    That's a very good idea along with 0 HEX contribs. Noted down!

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    You make a very good point there. This actually is on my list of things to look into. The crucial thing here is that after how long shall a feed be deleted if it has been offline?
    Indeed, Pondered the suggestion in the past of deleting old accounts.

Deletion after time period may effect those that do the odd testing - I have a 2nd assigned that I only fire up to confirm linux issues and the likes sometimes. And others may only use when visiting airports. Or remote stations with data/access issues.

Now that stats are defined better one would hope there should be an easy way for a kick off of a query before doing a prune of those with an ID assigned that have 0 individual HEX contributions against their entire upload data history

Or mailbombing with a 90 day warning or similar. With suspension before deletion after 6 months

Leave a comment:

• Khan
    replied
    A lot use it as an identity. For reaching out to others nearby or associating with someone they are familiar with from the forum, or monitoring areas for coverage issues.

I know a few who have looked in our area and said 'well the radar ID shown is x34, so theres no point uploading as theres 34 uploaders in the area' or deciding not to get hardware due to it.

Pretty sure there's not that many active. But a heap who have registered (and subsequently reserved) an ID slot in the early days trying not understanding what it was for, or to get a free account only to find they actually need a receiver and upload stuff

Incrementing this each edit will sure to increase that viewership groups thoughts.
    You make a very good point there. This actually is on my list of things to look into. The crucial thing here is that after how long shall a feed be deleted if it has been offline?

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    This was done because support gets alot requests for coordinates change. It seems like changing of alias bothers people so we will disable that part. Do note that everything is connected to Sharing Key so even if your alias changes, it doesn't affect your stats. In the next release, alias will not change by updating your coordinates.
    A lot use it as an identity. For reaching out to others nearby or associating with someone they are familiar with from the forum, or monitoring areas for coverage issues.

I know a few who have looked in our area and said 'well the radar ID shown is x34, so theres no point uploading as theres 34 uploaders in the area' or deciding not to get hardware due to it.

Pretty sure there's not that many active. But a heap who have registered (and subsequently reserved) an ID slot in the early days trying not understanding what it was for, or to get a free account only to find they actually need a receiver and upload stuff

Incrementing this each edit will sure to increase that viewership groups thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• Khan
    replied

Leave a comment:

• airnrail
    replied
    I love it but you must have too much time on your hands!

Leave a comment:

• fungus
    replied
    No more playing with adjusting my coordinates, I have my old alias back now thanks to the guys from support.

Gregg

Leave a comment:

• fungus
    replied
    Done it now
    Yep! Indeed!

Gregg
    Last edited by fungus; 2017-06-07, 12:26.

Leave a comment:

• Oblivian
    replied
    Done it now

Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X