Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automated Installation of Dump1090-Mutability, Data Feeders, and Performance Graphs

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well it's different. It has an amplifier and filter built in. (The blue one. the orange one is without the filter don't get that)

rtl-sdr blog v3 dongle with metal housing is very different from the plastic mcx jetvision dongle.
    jetvision sells the rtl-sdr blog v3 dongle too.

But probably your dongle you have now is just fine.
    Get this for the filtering (double filter)
    We're happy to announce the release of our new high performance low noise amplifier (LNA) for improving 1090 MHz ADS-B reception. The LNA uses a low noise figure high linearity two stage MGA-13116 amplifier chip and three stages of filtering to ensure that strong signals or interference will not overload either the amplifier or SDR dongle. The LNA is currently only available from our Chinese warehouse, and costs US$24.95 including shipping. Please note that the price may increase slightly in the future, and that Amazon USA may not be stocked until March. Click here to visit our store An LNA

If you can't switch off the noise source this filter/LNA is by far your best bet. Filtering is much better than by the filter in the blue FA dongle.
    No guarantees though the noise is literally at 1090 MHz. Never seen this before.

Your current metal case dongle can supply the 4.5V for it to work.
    Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-01-04, 14:56.

Comment

• I have posted the noise scan thread both in Flightaware as well as Flightradar24 forums.

Infact I posted it in FR24 forum few days before I posted it in Flghtaware forum. In FR24 forum it is located under the category "Technical Matters (hardware)"

FlightRadar24
      Do I need a Filter? - Find RF Signals In Area

FlightAware
      Do I need a Filter?

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
        I have posted the noise scan thread both in Flightaware as well as Flightradar24 forums.

Sorry didn't have it handy

Have you ever seen a noise scan like that?
        In the 1090-1160 MHz range?

Comment

• Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
          Have you ever seen a noise scan like that?
          In the 1090-1160 MHz range?
          No, never. This is unusual.
          May be the dongle itself, or Pi's WiFi chip generating it.

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
            No, never. This is unusual.
            May be the dongle itself, or Pi's WiFi chip generating it.
            He said the same setup worked fine when it was positioned somewhere else.

Not sure if it was in the same house or another place.

Comment

• It is strange and unusual situation. The only way to find is that when he is at his parents house, he replaces dongle and relocates the antenna. This is now all trial and error.

Comment

• It was the same house. First setup was made via LAN in headless mode, then as soon as I managed to enable VNC I switched to WiFi. Another test I can do next month is to bring a WiFi extender that has LAN connection to try connect the Pi again to LAN.

Comment

• Originally posted by maverick464 View Post
                  It was the same house. First setup was made via LAN in headless mode, then as soon as I managed to enable VNC I switched to WiFi. Another test I can do next month is to bring a WiFi extender that has LAN connection to try connect the Pi again to LAN.
                  For WiFi you could test remotely as well.

First you install screen (sudo apt install screen)

Then you open two putty and in each one start screen:
                  screen

that will mean if putty is disconnected the console will survive even if you can't interact with it.

one console you paste this command:

sleep 2000 && reboot
                  this gives roughly 33 minutes before the pi will reboot.

now in the second window you run the following:

rkill block all; whatever command you created your csv with

this will turn wifi and bluetooth off and run rtl_power to generate the csv.
                  It is important that you enter the rfkill and the command on the same line, separated by a semicolon.
                  because after pressing enter you won't be able to do anything until it reboots by itself.

after the pi has rebooted you can connect to it again and convert the csv to a spectrum scan

You could also ask your parents to unplug the sat receiver power over night :P (Not sure how inclined they would be to do that but hey it's worth a try, it's important for powersaving after all!)

Are there other electric/electronic devices in the room you have the pi at the moment?
                  (I don't think that is the problem because the rtl-sdr v3 dongle is shielded in a metal can and the connection to the raspi is rather carefully equipped with devices that block high frequencies. That's one of the reasons the rtl-sdr v3 dongle is better than many other dongles by the way.
                  And if the coax is halfway decent the only possibility is that the antenna is picking up the noise.)
                  Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-01-04, 19:31.

Comment

• Mmmmm.
                    That seems a little beyond my knowledge.
                    Can I do it via TeamViewer through RPi terminal, opening two tabs as you specified, or should I do everything through my MacBook terminal app SSH to the Pi?

Actually the LNB attached to the SAT dish doesn't have power and the coax cable from the LNB isn't attached to anything as my parents don't use it anymore. They watch only regular digital TV through the standard TV antenna
                    The room is an "under-roof" room, used only for storage things. The only "electronic device" is the TV antenna amplifier between the antenna itself and the rest of the home.

Comment

• Originally posted by maverick464 View Post
                      Mmmmm.
                      That seems a little beyond my knowledge.
                      Can I do it via TeamViewer through RPi terminal, opening two tabs as you specified, or should I do everything through my MacBook terminal app SSH to the Pi?

Actually the LNB attached to the SAT dish doesn't have power and the coax cable from the LNB isn't attached to anything as my parents don't use it anymore. They watch only regular digital TV through the standard TV antenna
                      The room is an "under-roof" room, used only for storage things. The only "electronic device" is the TV antenna amplifier between the antenna itself and the rest of the home.

As long as you run screen it doesn't matter how you opened the terminal.

Anyway i'm pretty certain it's the TV antenna amplifier you are describing. Fits perfectly.

ADS-B is a rather weak signal and you have a pretty close transmitter that is apparently not built very well. (Those things are known for inteference/noise.)

The next question is pretty much how the electrical noise gets to your dongle. My guess would be via the ADS-B antenna as the coax and the dongle are shielded.

So maybe you can shield the TV antenna amplifier by putting a large metal shield between it and your antenna.
                      Unless it's feeding the noise back to the TV receiving antenna on the mast and radiating it from there (shouldn't be the case but who knows).

Anyway even with shielding there might still be reflections but you might get more or less ok reception.
                      If you are after really good reception you will probably need to get rid of the TV antenna amplifier and instead run coax through the house to where the TVs are and feed it from an distribution box with some builtin amplification that does not output via an antenna.

I'm not sure if there are really good TV antenna amplifiers around which don't emit as much noise on the non-TV frequency. Don't even know that the TV frequency is.
                      Might just be 1160MHz.

Anyway temporarily switching that device off and make sure it is the culprit is the first step. (even if my gut says it's the culprit for sure)
                      Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-01-04, 22:12.

Comment

• Originally posted by wiedehopf View Post
                        Anyway temporarily switching that device off and make sure it is the culprit is the first step.
                        I visited here to post the same thing and found wiedehopf has already posted it an hour ago . The TV amplifier is the most likely cause, and turning its power off temporarily will clearly tell yes or no.

Last edited by abcd567; 2019-01-04, 23:28.

Comment

• Tomorrow or on Sunday I’ll ask to my dad to shut it off for half an hour or so, so to have time to make another spectrum test and see the differences.
                          Didn’t think about it, I admit. The amplifier is old like the home, built in 1985....
                          If the problem is the amplifier and shutting it down everything starts to work again, as I have 3/5 meters of coax cable rounded up (see post #89 pic 3) I can try to relocate the Pi away from the amplifier.

I’ll keep you posted!

Comment

• UHF TV Frequencies Worldwide

Region UHF TV Channel Frequency Band
                            North America 14 to 83 470 Mhz ~ 890 Mhz
                            UK & Ireland 21 to 69 471 Mhz ~ 861 Mhz
                            West Europe 21 to 81 471 Mhz ~ 957 Mhz
                            France, East Europe, Former USSR 21 to 69 471 Mhz ~ 861 Mhz
                            Australia 28 to 69 527 Mhz ~ 820 Mhz

Comment

• Tested the spectrum with TV amplifier switched off. Unfortunately no good news , the spectrum is the same I did right before switching the amplifier off.
                              Here are the pics:

Scan with amplifier ON, made this morning (Saturday Jan, 05th)
                              scan_with_aplifier.jpg

Scan with amplifier OFF, made this morning (Saturday Jan, 05th)
                              scan_no_amplifier.jpg

Next tests are:
                              • test another dongle with "portable" TV antenna in the attic;
                              • test the "portable" TV antenna with the actual dongle in the attic;
                              • test the new and old dongles with TV portable antenna in the bedroom where I configured everything up the first time (when all was working fine);
                              • move the antenna on the roof away from the mast where is mounted now;

I'll keep you posted
                              Thanks again for you help and hints

Comment

• Well you can still try switching off the wifi i guess. But i can't imagine it being the problem to be honest.

Is the forum limiting picture size or what is the problem with those tiny ones?

Damn the amplifier sounded like a really good culprit.
                                Good luck in the further troubleshooting. Moving the antenna around is your best bet to find the source at this point.

Problem is with another antenna it might be hard to replicate but we will see.

Comment

Working...
                                X