Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automated Installation of Dump1090-Mutability, Data Feeders, and Performance Graphs

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok fresh install and all working now. Looking at the noise graph and my set up. I have the flightaware antenna outside about half way up the roof. N type to sma converter then 5m of sma to sma to the flightaware filter and pro stick. Trying to work out a way of reducing the antenna cable length. Either USB power up the drain pipe or take mains outside but then how to I waterproof the mains power socket for the USB connection.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by keyboard View Post
      Ok fresh install and all working now. Looking at the noise graph and my set up. I have the flightaware antenna outside about half way up the roof. N type to sma converter then 5m of sma to sma to the flightaware filter and pro stick. Trying to work out a way of reducing the antenna cable length. Either USB power up the drain pipe or take mains outside but then how to I waterproof the mains power socket for the USB connection.
      What is gain setting? With Flightaware ProStick, normally better performance is achieved by reducing gain. The optimal value of gain is very variable, people have reported gain values ranging from 28 to 42. It depends on location, system hardware, and RF interference/noise at that location. The RF interference/noise depends on presence of other strong RF signals such as Cell Phone signals and other mobile communications at frequencies close to 1090 MHz. The Filter removes the far away frequency signals, but signals very close in frequency to 1090 MHz are not fully removed. Reducing gain reduces the overload caused by RF noise.

How much will be length of coax if antenna is at its full height?

Comment

Originally posted by miller745
        Should SSH be enabled after burning jessie to the microsd card? I can't connect using putty..
        Yes definitely. It is probably easier to use
        Code:
        sudo raspi-config
        and go to the Advanced Options panel raspi-config2.png

I you feel the need to use root in SSH then you need to edit the
        Code:
        sudo nano /etc/ssh/sshd_config
        and search for the string "PermitRootLogin" change "without-password" to "yes"

Now you can login SSH as root. There are many arguments for not allowing SSH root access but I do this regularly on my "play" systems and then disable root if I put the RPi into permanent use.
        T-KCLT3 - Raspberry Pi3 Jessie, 8 element collinear indoor antenna

Comment

FOR WIRED LAN/SSH TO WORK IN RASPBIAN
          The SSH no more works by default in Raspbian releases since end of 2016. Creating a blank file named ssh or ssh.txt in /boot sector of microSD card enables SSH.

To enable SSH in headless operation (i.e. no GUI, no hdmi/monitor, no mouse & no keyboard), follow these steps:

(1) Remove microSD card from Pi and insert into a card reader and insert card reader into Laptop/ Desktop (on which you wrote the latest Raspbian image).

(2) Open command prompt console of desktop/laptop, and give command

echo >E:\ssh

Note: Instead of letter E, use drive letter of your microSD card.

The above command will create a file named ssh in /boot directory of your microSD card.

(3) Reinsert the microSD card in RPi and power up. SSH will start working.

2017-03-21 15.07.05.png
          Last edited by abcd567; 2017-03-21, 20:09.

Comment

ABOUT AGC

Following are comments by Oliver Jowett (obj), who is the author of dump1090-mutability:

Turning on the tuner AGC sets a fixed gain for one gain stage and hands control of the other stages over to the AGC.

The AGC works by measuring the amplified signal power over a period and using that in a feedback loop to control the gain to try to get an amplified signal power that is somewhere in the middle of the usable range - i.e. if the amplified power is too low, it increases the gain, and vice versa. The AGC is designed for the dongle's original purpose - receiving digital TV signals. For a digital TV signal you are receiving a continuous signal from a single transmitter so this works fine.

ADS-B signals are bursts that are much shorter than the measurement period, and they originate from many transmitters of different power at different ranges. So the AGC measurement is basically useless and in practice the AGC sees it as a very weak signal and ends up setting the gain as high as it will go.

Due to a quirk in librtlsdr, the combination of the manually set gain stage + the AGC-controlled gain stages results in a total gain that is higher than what librtlsdr will let you set directly.

Comment

Dump1090-mutability: About gain -10

Question: What does gain -10 actually mean?
              Answer: Enable the tuner AGC.

Question: So that is the same as having GAIN="agc" in /etc/default/dump1090-mutability ??
              Answer: Yes, if you look at the init script you will see that AGC is translated to -10 and if you look at the dump1090 source then you will see that -10 turns on AGC.

-10 is a special value meaning "turn on AGC" (for ADS-B, the AGC doesn't actually give auto-gain, just a high gain. Usually AGC will behave like "more gain than max")

-10 and agc are identical, they both end up passing "--gain -10" to dump1090, see the /etc/init.d/dump1090-mutability script:
              Code:
              pi@raspberrypi:~ $ cat /etc/init.d/dump1090-mutability
              #!/bin/sh
              ### BEGIN INIT INFO
              case "x$GAIN" in
               x|xmax) ;;
               xagc) ARGS="$ARGS --gain -10" ;;
               *) ARGS="$ARGS --gain $GAIN" ;;
              esac

For regular gains, you want a positive value in the 0..50 range (nominally in dB). It will pick the closest gain step to the value you give. If you specify any negative number (other than -10), then the closest gain is 0dB: minimum gain!

AVAILABLE GAIN VALUES:

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo systemctl stop dump1090-mutability
              pi@raspberrypi:~ $ rtl_test
              Found 1 device(s):
              0: Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001

Using device 0: Generic RTL2832U OEM
              Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
              Supported gain values (29): 0.0 0.9 1.4 2.7 3.7 7.7 8.7 12.5 14.4 15.7 1 20.7 22.9 25.4 28.0 29.7 32.8 33.8 36.4 37.2 38.6 40.2 42.1 43.4 43.9 4 49.6
              Sampling at 2048000 S/s.

Info: This tool will continuously read from the device, and report if
              samples get lost. If you observe no further output, everything is fine.

Reading samples in async mode...
              lost at least 16 bytes
              ^CSignal caught, exiting!

User cancel, exiting...
              Samples per million lost (minimum): 0
              pi@raspberrypi:~ $

Comment

@ maverick464

It is not necessary to install "advanced option". In fact recommended is NOT to install "advanced option", as advance option keeps on storing data on microSD card, and in due cources fills it up if old data is not deleted.

After installation of web portal is completed, following two configuration are required for graphs to display:

STEP-1: in your browser open page <IP of PI>/install/ and complete the configuration process.

STEP-2: After Step-1 is completed, go to address <IP of Pi>/admin/ , log-in using username & password you have set in step-1, then
                (a) In "Navigation" tab, check "Enable performance graph link" (as already mentioned by Bbox77 in his post above). As Blog is mostly not used, un-check "Enable blog link".
                (b) In "General" tab, change "Default Page" from "Blog" to "Performance Graphs".
                (c) In "Measurements" tab, set units of distance (nautical miles/miles/km) and temprature (deg F or C)
                After steps (a), (b), and (c), click the "Save Settings" button at bottom-left of page.

Comment

I’m very grateful for great amount of effort abcd4567 and other have put into helping us newbies. Thanks so much for you posting and be assured that they are very helpful and people like me read and reread them.
                  With all of your help, I have Dump1090-Mutability up and going with my area rings on my upgraded map and I’m feeding data.
                  However, I can’t get to the performance graphs?
                  IP of PI>/ gets me a placeholder page
                  IP of PI>/install , IP of PI>/admin/index.php and IP of PI>/graphs.php all get a 404 not found
                  This is my third format and reinstall. (Trying to load plane finder crashed it)

Can someone confirm the correct way to access the performance graphs to confirm I have an issue on the install?

I remember on the install there was a question about sharing data on a webpage that I wasn’t clear on.

Thanks for your help,

Comment

RockRidge

If the dump 1090-mutability v1.15~dev is installed by automated scripts, a bug is introduced which displays Metric units on Map, even when settings are Imperial.

To remove this bug, edit file "config.is" as shown below:

Code:

sudo nano /usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html/config.js
                    In file "config.js", scroll down till you find a line

Metric="false; "

Remove quotes " " (but don't remove the ; semi colon), so the line becomes:

Metric=false;

Save the file config.js (Ctrl+o), close file (Ctrl+x), and restart dump1090-mutability

Code:

sudo systemctl restart dump1090-mutability
                    Now clear cache of your browser, and reload/refresh the map in your browser, and you will see the data in metric and range rings, which are 100, 1500, and 200 km, will enlarge to 100, 150, and 200 nautical miles.
                    Last edited by abcd567; 2017-07-26, 15:23.

Comment

@RockRidge:

(1) To see what maximum range in various directions your terrain allows:
                      Go to thread linked below, and scroll down to see "STEP (8): ADD TERRAIN LIMIT RINGS"
                      https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...-15-dev-on-RPi

(2) There is likely an easy method to delete old data, but I am not aware of it. I never tried to delete old data. If I find the method, I will post it.

Comment

The bandwidth usage isn't showing up in the web portal while running Raspbian Stretch,
                        due to the fact that ethernet interfaces names in Stretch are based on MAC addresses instead of eth0, eth1, etc.

It can be fixed by adding net.ifnames=0 at the end of the line on boot/cmdline.txt file.

Last edited by thehague; 2017-08-31, 12:48.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by gr8hannan
                          I installed Dump1090-mutability but I'm not able to get these performance charts. I have restarted my rasberypi also but no luck. Any idea why is that, did I miss something?
                          You dont tell us much about what you did or not.

I dont know much about mutability but logged in the RPi have you issued a :

ps ax | more

???

You should see lines like :

19523 ? Sl 19:45 /usr/bin/fr24feed -- --monitor-file=/dev/shm/fr24feed.txt --write-pid=/var/run/fr24feed.pid --quiet --log-base=/var/log/fr24feed --log-rotate=1

22572 ? Rl 212:41 /usr/lib/fr24/dump1090 --net --raw

Would you check it first.

J.
                          T-LFBN2

Comment

Originally posted by gr8hannan
                            My setup is:

1) FlightAware Pro Stick Plus ADS-B USB Receiver with Built-in Filter
                            2) 1090MHz ADS-B Antenna - 66cm / 26in (From FlightAware)
                            3) SMA Male to N Type Male Plug Wifi Antenna Pigtail Cable 16.1"
                            you have good hardware. Low range can be because of following:
                            (1) Bad connectors and pigtails.
                            (2) High gain setting of dump1090-mutability. Try reducing gain. Try different settings like 50, 45, 40, 37, 35, 33 etc, and see which setting gives you best results.
                            (2) Too much RF noise like strong Cell Phone and other communication signals. This can be improved by a Filter. Although FlightAware Pro Stick Plus (Blue) has an integral filter, the filter is located after the tuner chip, and does not prevent overload of front end tuner chip. Adding an external filter between antenna & Pro Stick Plus improves range & plane count greatly.

This has happened with me. Like you, I also live not far from CYYZ, in an apartment building, having Cell phone antenna on top of my building, and surrounding buildings as well. Due to strong RF noise (Cell phone signals), I had to add a filter to get good results. Please see screenshot below.

First check your connections.
                            Next try reducing gain.
                            If the problem is still not solved, then add an external filter between antenna and Pro Stick Plus.

Comment

@MrMac:
                              Thanks for pin-pointing at SMA connector.
                              Though I have mentioned "Bad connectors and pigtails", I did not eleborate it.
                              Below are more details on this issue:

DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SMA AND RP-SMA

TEMPORARY WORKAROUND
                              The SMA-male has center pin. The reverse SMA (RP-SMA) male does not have a center pin, it has a hole. The center wire connection is open because of missing pin. A temporary workaround is to cut a short piece of center wire of coax and insert in hole of RP-SMA male. This piece of wire will act as the missing pin, and connection will be established.

Comment

Thanks to J Prochazka for writing the scripts.
                                Thanks to abcd567 for creating this thread.

The web portal/performance graphs is really a very useful tool.

This method makes installation of decoder (dump1090-mutability or dump1090-fa) and data feeders very easy on computers with arm processor (like Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi etc), as well as x86/amd64 based PC running Linux Debian or its variants.

Using this method, I have successfully installed dump1090-mutability and all data feeders on my PC with intel processor (x86/amd64) and running Ubuntu 16.04.

Comment

Working...
                                X