Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automated Installation of Dump1090-Mutability, Data Feeders, and Performance Graphs

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
    Wiedehop has recently written a script which installs graphs only (no web portal). Give a look here:

Thanks! I'll keep that as an option for future installs. For now, I have used Joe Prochazka's image-based install and that is working fine for me
    T-EIKY1 | T-EICK1

Comment

• Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
      Wiedehop has recently written a script which installs graphs only (no web portal). Give a look here:

To avoid misunderstandings for beginners: The graphs do have a web interface which can be launched by http://<Raspi-IP>/graphs1090 or http://<Raspi-IP>/perf

Comment

• Hello everybody, nice to meet you all.
        I'm a kind of "otaku" for flight tracking, but i'm almost totally zero for what concerns software and linux. Please excuse me if i ask for the obvious or write wrong things...

I stumbled on this thread and i got attracted by the cool things that i could actually see on my pc with "just" a reinstall.

I'm feeding data to Fr24 since a couple of years using their package and a leftover raspberry i had on the lab.
        Everything was ok... i mean, no issues but hey, no cool maps and graphs!! what i've been missing for so long!

So i decided to give a try. (sorry, i cant paste direct links, as a newbie this is forbdden by forum rules).
        At first i used "10232-How-to-Install-dump1090-mutability_1-15-dev-on-RPi" procedure and it worked, but it had no graphs and i could not figure out if i can add them "after" or not.

I retried from scratch with 10597-Automated-Installation-of-Dump1090-Mutability-Data-Feeders-and-Performance-Graphs (that should give both, maps and graphs) but the procedure fails.

I'm installing on the currently available raspbian ( specifically, Raspbian Buster Lite released on july 10,2019). Before starting i do update/upgrade as a good boy

The last thing i can capture from the procedure log screen is as follows (sorry i cant post a proper screenshot).

gcc -Wdate-time -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -DMODES_DUMP1090_VERSION="v1.15~dev" -g -O2 -fdebug-prefix-map=/home/luca/adsb-receiver/build/dump1090-mutability/dump1090=. -fstack-protector-strong -Wformat -Werror=format-security -O2 -g -Wall -Werror -W -Wno-unknown-warning-option -Wno-format-truncation -std=c11 -D_DEFAULT_SOURCE -DHTMLPATH="/usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html" -DMODES_DUMP1090_VARIANT="dump1090-mutability" -c convert.c -o convert.o
        gcc -g -o dump1090 dump1090.o anet.o interactive.o mode_ac.o mode_s.o net_io.o crc.o demod_2400.o stats.o cpr.o icao_filter.o track.o util.o convert.o -lpthread -lm -lrt `pkg-config --libs librtlsdr libusb-1.0` -Wl,-z,relro -Wl,-z,now
        /usr/bin/ld: dump1090.o: in function `rtlsdrCallback':
        ./dump1090.c:414: undefined reference to `rtlsdr_cancel_async'
        /usr/bin/ld: dump1090.o: in function `verbose_device_search':
        ./dump1090.c:867: undefined reference to `rtlsdr_get_device_count'
        /usr/bin/ld: ./dump1090.c:874: undefined reference to `rtlsdr_get_device_usb_strings'
        /usr/bin/ld: ./dump1090.c:890: undefined reference to `rtlsdr_get_device_usb_strings'
        /usr/bin/ld: ./dump1090.c:894: undefined reference to `rtlsdr_get_device_name'
        /usr/bin/ld: dump1090.o: in function `modesInitRTLSDR':
        ./dump1090.c:287: undefined reference to `rtlsdr_get_device_count'
        /usr/bin/ld: ./dump1090.c:295: undefined reference to `rtlsdr_get_device_usb_strings'
        /usr/bin/ld: ./dump1090.c:303: undefined reference to `rtlsdr_open'
        /usr/bin/ld: ./dump1090.c:310: undefined reference to `rtlsdr_set_tuner_gain_mode'
        /usr/bin/ld: ./dump1090.c:316: undefined reference to `rtlsdr_get_tuner_gains'
        /usr/bin/ld: ./dump1090.c:323: undefined reference to `rtlsdr_get_tuner_gains'
        /usr/bin/ld: ./dump1090.c:358: undefined reference to `rtlsdr_set_tuner_gain'
        /usr/bin/ld: ./dump1090.c:365: undefined reference to `rtlsdr_set_freq_correction'
        /usr/bin/ld: ./dump1090.c:367: undefined reference to `rtlsdr_set_center_freq'
        /usr/bin/ld: ./dump1090.c:368: undefined reference to `rtlsdr_set_sample_rate'
        /usr/bin/ld: ./dump1090.c:370: undefined reference to `rtlsdr_reset_buffer'
        /usr/bin/ld: ./dump1090.c:372: undefined reference to `rtlsdr_get_tuner_gain'
        /usr/bin/ld: ./dump1090.c:366: undefined reference to `rtlsdr_set_agc_mode'
        /usr/bin/ld: dump1090.o: in function `verbose_device_search':
        ./dump1090.c:900: undefined reference to `rtlsdr_get_device_usb_strings'
        /usr/bin/ld: ./dump1090.c:910: undefined reference to `rtlsdr_get_device_usb_strings'
        /usr/bin/ld: ./dump1090.c:917: undefined reference to `rtlsdr_get_device_name'
        /usr/bin/ld: dump1090.o: in function `readerThreadEntryPoint':
        ./dump1090.c:612: undefined reference to `rtlsdr_read_async'
        /usr/bin/ld: ./dump1090.c:629: undefined reference to `rtlsdr_close'
        /usr/bin/ld: ./dump1090.c:618: undefined reference to `rtlsdr_close'
        collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
        make[2]: *** [Makefile:54: dump1090] Error 1
        make[2]: Leaving directory '/home/luca/adsb-receiver/build/dump1090-mutability/dump1090'
        dh_auto_build: make -j1 "EXTRACFLAGS=-DHTMLPATH=\\"/usr/share/dump1090-mutability/html\\" -DMODES_DUMP1090_VARIANT=\\"dump1090-mutability\\"" returned exit code 2
        make[1]: *** [debian/rules:21: override_dh_auto_build] Error 2
        make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/luca/adsb-receiver/build/dump1090-mutability/dump1090'
        make: *** [debian/rules:30: build] Error 2
        dpkg-buildpackage: error: debian/rules build subprocess returned exit status 2

Configuring dump1090-mutability to start automatically....
        Installing the dump1090-mutability package...

dpkg: error: cannot access archive '/home/luca/adsb-receiver/build/dump1090-mutability/dump1090-mutability_1.15~dev_*.deb': No such file or directory

Checking that the dump1090-mutability package was installed properly...

INSTALLATION HALTED!
        UNABLE TO INSTALL A REQUIRED PACKAGE.
        SETUP HAS BEEN TERMINATED!

The package "-mutability" could not be installed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Dump1090-mutability setup halted.

Press enter to continue...

Can anyone provide insight/help?
        Thanks in advance and thanks for the person who created the threads in any case.

Comment

• I forgot to mention that i tried to install 1090 mutabilty using the pre cooked package that worked in the other proicedure....
          but after that, while i could pass beyond the first obstacle, i get a second error tryong to install PHP(well, i guess).
          what i seen is ...

INSTALLATION HALTED!
          UNABLE TO INSTALL A REQUIRED PACKAGE.
          SETUP HAS BEEN TERMINATED!

The package "php7.0-cgi" could not be installed in 5 attempts.

ANY FURTHER SETUP AND/OR INSTALLATION REQUESTS HAVE BEEN TERMINIATED

suggestions welcomed

thank you all.

Comment

• The graphs by the adsb-receiver project script can be installed without installing other things.
            Just select the webinterface only in the installation routine.

You'd have to modify the script to change the php7.0-cgi to php-cgi.

But if you don't need the php webinterface, just the graphs:

As for dump1090, i'd go with dump1090-fa:
            Solutions to common problems for rtl_sdr / ADS-B stuff - wiedehopf/adsb-scripts

For dump1090-fa i've also done some work on improving the webinterface, it has different map layers and a few other features:

While you are at it, just start fresh with a Raspbian Buster Lite image.
            Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-08-25, 11:09.

Comment

• Hello, wiedehopf

Thank you for the suggestions. I will try wo edit the install script and change the line you suggested.
              It would be great to (let's say) patch the problem without a fresh reinstall. I just reinstalled it this morning while I had a few hours alone (and i dont know when i'll be so lucky again ^^; )

let's see what happens

have a nice afternoon.

Comment

• Yeah if you're not into patching stuff, use the other install scripts i linked.
                I maintain them and at least currently they are all up to date.

They should also work with your current installation, they will for the most part overwrite parts of what you already installed with the script.
                (Not sure what the adsb receiver script did before it quit on you)
                Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-08-25, 16:52.

Comment

• Hi again!
                  It was a bit difficult for me (the script is pretty "elaborate" and as far as i could understand, several things are downloaded according the software version on the raspi.)

However, with a bit of brute force (lets call it so) i edited the .sh file in the "portal" directory every time the install halted.
                  ~/adsb-receiver/bash/portal $
                  I had to edit it for php-cgi, php-xml and php-json.
                  before each retry I installed the packages manually in advance so to have a positive check but no actual install process...

but hey, somehow it ended without errors and it works! thank you for addressing me to the solution!

Now i must ....
                  1) find a way to make a backup of the SD as it is (you know, im not sure if i can do that again!)
                  2) change the network to use graph to wlan0 and temperatures to celcius
                  if you have suggestions....

For today, i feel very satisfied, in any case!

thanhs again for the precious suggestions and have a nice evening!

L.

Comment

• In that case i'd recommend to use my graphs, they can be configured for Celsius and automatically add the traffic from wlan and Ethernet

You can just overwrite the current installation.
                    But i'd recommend removing the data after installing my graphs because they save finer grained data which looks nicer in some instances. (sudo rm -r /var/lib/collectd/rrd/localhost/)
                    It will automatically recreate the data files.
                    Last edited by wiedehopf; 2019-08-25, 17:45.

Comment

• Hi,

backup first!
                      I'll take a look at yours, i promise. for today , better go sleep happy!

have a good night!
                      L.

* edit 2019/9/2
                      I did try , but something went bad and raspberry did not boot afterwards.... maybe I should have tried a fresh install.
                      Luckily i had the backup, so no problems. I also found that i could change measure units and interface on the original setup, from the admin pages.

Now i'll focus on the range improvement, i seen some interesting post on how to build dirt cheap antennas

it's all for the update.
                      bye
                      Last edited by belldandy; 2019-09-02, 17:45. Reason: tried the suggested procedure.

Comment

• Hi,

I installed Dump1090-mutability some time ago, but didn't install the graph tools. Is there a way to add the performance graphs to an existing install or do I have to build a new install?

Thanks

R

Comment

• You'll have to run the install again and it's sufficient to select installing the web interface and the graphs.

But i'd just go with the standalone graphs (but i'm biased as i work on them)

Comment

• [QUOTE=wiedehopf;126576]You'll have to run the install again and it's sufficient to select installing the web interface and the graphs.

But i'd just go with the standalone graphs (but i'm biased as i work on them)

Hi,

Thanks, they look great, so I will give it a try. I am mainly interested in looking at signal/noise to fine tune my system gain, but the other graphs look interesting as well.

Robin

Comment

• The signal graph is changed quite significantly in comparison to the original version.

The "noise" graph that was there previously wasn't strictly noise but contained anything that couldn't be decoded (partial messages).
                              My version displays the "weakest signal" which is just the plane with the lowest RSSI currently received.
                              It should also be a representation of noise though, as with lower noise, you can receive aircraft with weaker signal.

The signal graph itself is not the average of the signal of all received messages but rather is statistics on all aircraft that are received.
                              So the graph shows a Median, not the average of the signal of all aircraft being received.
                              If you are familiar with that, it displays the statistical 5 number summary of the signal strength of aircraft being received.

Comment

• Brilliant, installed and working. Just what I wanted. You are the man.

I am probably running too much gain, peak signal is -1.2dBFS and weakest is -21.6dBFS, so only around 20dB dynamic range, I am probably lifting the noise too much. Still I am getting 110 to 120 aircraft tracked out to 240nm, so not too bad.

It always amazes me with Linux install scripts, so much gets installed and configured and it always seems to work.

Thanks a lot

Robin

Comment

Working...
                                X