No announcement yet.

New Pi receiver - please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

be careful of colored screenshots, with photoshop anyone can reveal your key..... this is really a bad thing to do

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Comment

and instead of another dvb stick check your antenna 📶

Comment

Originally posted by mrcarlos View Post
        be careful of colored screenshots, with photoshop anyone can reveal your key..... this is really a bad thing to do

Except in its use on Fr, the key is fairly insignificant anyway without the email address to pair it to just force of habit to distinguish it as individual to users and percent possible replication in configs

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by mrcarlos View Post

If the key is hidden by coloring in photoshop, yes, as photoshop saves the original photo and coloring in two different layers. However if key is hidden by thick black line by pen/brush in a basic photo software, which does NOT store Layers, but saves the image as just one merged layer, is it still possible?

Comment

yes is just google a little....

Comment

Thanks for reply mrcarlos. Basic question: If DVB stick+antenna always see a number of flights (depending on time of day - about 20 currently) using rtl1090 software on Windows XP should this be enough for fr24? My antenna is a groundplane in a window with shortish feed to stick so obviously could be improved, if I can get Pi to work, but is my assumption correct that if I can see plenty of flights with it using a Windows laptop it should work with the fr24 software on the Pi? Or does the fr24 software only work above a threshold of flight visibility?

Comment

how far away are you from a airport? 20 airplanes seems very little, its for fr24 always enough since you are online and feeding data, but only 20... depends on here are you, but for me sounds like antenna defect. have you another to change?
                cheers

Comment

I am about 10k from Southampton airport but do see flights as far away as Heathrow. I was only counting ones showing flight numbers but with others added the total is more. Certainly the antenna could be improved and placed higher but I didn't want to do this till I had got the Pi+software to work!

Comment

RTL can hang on to old/outdated data for a period of time. And in that respect, without anyone else attempting to run it on an early generation also to confirm it actually works, it may be fooling you if signal is too patchy for FR24.

The only option would be to enable the BS or RAW out on the configuration page and monitor the output (web page of 30003 data or virtual radar/Dump1090 map tap in) to see if anything is being received, but below thresholds.
                    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Thanks Oblivian, I don't think rtl1090 is holding on to old data as it builds a list of current planes around fairly quickly from a cold start. However I will maybe try moving the antenna+stick to a higher location on a long usb lead. I can see how to enable ports 30002/3 on the setup page but I'd be grateful if you or someone could clarify easiest way to monitor this data either via a browser, windows prog or the pi itself (though this may not be best if it's already struggling). Accessing (<pi IP>:30002 or 3 via browser didn't work).

Comment

Originally posted by Sandbar View Post
                        Thanks Oblivian, I don't think rtl1090 is holding on to old data as it builds a list of current planes around fairly quickly from a cold start. However I will maybe try moving the antenna+stick to a higher location on a long usb lead. I can see how to enable ports 30002/3 on the setup page but I'd be grateful if you or someone could clarify easiest way to monitor this data either via a browser, windows prog or the pi itself (though this may not be best if it's already struggling). Accessing (<pi IP>:30002 or 3 via browser didn't work).
                        FR requires solid signal for a few seconds at a time (aircraft send 2 per second), whereas the timeout on apps is a little more. So if say you get 2 data packets then 4 seconds without. It may show on screen still as 'active' incase it bursts back into life. Often seen by 'timeout' or 'MSGS' columns as to how live.

There is a monitor link on the config page. And if BS out is enabled http://<ipofyourpi>:30003 should display similar to

MSG,4,5,211,4CA2D6,10057,2008/11/28,14:53:49.986,2008/11/28,14:58:51.153,,,408.3,146.4,,,64,,,,,
                        MSG,8,5,211,4CA2D6,10057,2008/11/28,14:53:50.391,2008/11/28,14:58:51.153,,,,,,,,,,,,0
                        MSG,4,5,211,4CA2D6,10057,2008/11/28,14:53:50.391,2008/11/28,14:58:51.153,,,408.3,146.4,,,64,,,,,
                        MSG,3,5,211,4CA2D6,10057,2008/11/28,14:53:50.594,2008/11/28,14:58:51.153,,37000,,,51.45735,-1.02826,,,0,0,0,0
                        MSG,8,5,812,ABBEE3,10095,2008/11/28,14:53:50.594,2008/11/28,14:58:51.153,,,,,,,,,,,,0
                        The raw 30002 data can't be accessed without something to decode it

Both only work on the provisio of data being received by the stick however

Comment

also you can run a live monitor doing this :
                          cd /etc/init.d
                          sudo fr24feed
                          (not fr24feed status) just only sudo fr24feed and click enter

Comment

SUCCESS AT LAST! After a lot of struggling I have found the problem with my Raspberry Pi and DVB dongle and I am now receiving and feeding plane data. The Raspberry Pi was not reading data from the dongle and this was due to the Pi not powering the dongle correctly and the problem was resolved by routing the dongle through a powered usb hub into the Pi. The earliest Pis (like mine) had polyfuses F1 and F2 fitted which could apparently cause problems with high draw USB peripherals (see http://elinux.org/RPi_HardwareHistory) so this was almost certainly the issue. Presumably modding the Pi to remove these (as in later versions) would also be a fix, which I may investigate.

Thanks a lot to all those posting replies and making suggestions to help me. I hope this info will be useful for anyone else contemplating using an early Pi with a DVB dongle (Revision 0002 Pi and RTL2838+R820T id:0bda:2838 dongle in my case).

Comment

Working...
                            X