Minimalist guide - use a cheap android tablet to monitor/control Pi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minimalist guide - use a cheap android tablet to monitor/control Pi

A quick guide to using an android tablet as a remote screen and controller for a Pi running FR24 feeder software with a wifi connection:

1) install vino server on the Pi (sudo apt-get install vino)
    2) getting vino to autostart at login is a little awkward - see towards the bottom of this page: http://elinux.org/RPi_VNC_Screen_Sharing
    however easier - and I think it works OK - is -
    menu/preferences/default applications for LXSession/launching applications/communications1/more - and adding /usr/lib/vino/vino-server
    then the autostart tab and add @vino-server
    2) vino preferences can be set with menu/system tools/dconf editor/org/gnome/desktop/remote access - set authentication-methods='none' if you
    don't want to bother with a password
    2) install VNC Viewer on the Android tablet (google play)
    3) needs a browser on the tablet (obvious)
    4) install NoRoot Firewall on the tablet (google play)
    5) use apps tab on NoRoot Firewall to block everything except the browser and VNC on the tablet (triple battery life)
    6) use the browser to look at 192.168.x.x:8080, 192.168.x.x:8754 or whatever is set up for the feeder settings and interactive display - save
    shortcuts on tablet desktop
    7) use VNC Viewer to look at and manipulate the Pi from the tablet desktop
    8) use browser to view flying objects being tracked
    8) coffee, beer or wine to celebrate

(My Pi is an original Model B and the tablet a 7" HP thingy running Android KitKat - £15 off eBay. A lot cheaper than a "proper" Pi screen and with the benefit of remote access for Pi's in cupboards, lofts or up chimneys.)

(I found almost all this information on forums here and there - but not all in one place - now it is!)
Working...
X