X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Own feed data plots

Thanks for the reply !
    Since I first saw the reply, I have read a lot about ADS-B and MLAT
    and found that the planes that I miss on the map, does not i fact send their position.
    Just ID.

If you have contact with an aircraft, but due to the antenna or signal strength it is not meeting the 2 per second data hits, It may not fall into the category as a stable position for the server to decide it can be tracked sucessfully.
    Another question ;
    Is there a way for me to see how the quality of my signal is ?
    As of now I see "sendt 1 AC in 1 packet" that confirms to me that I in fact are recieving a signal.
    But I do not see if the signal is optimal.
    both according to pr second data hits, or information quality ..
    Maybe I missed something, but since I run the FR24feed on an old computer it would be fine to see if my equipment is good enough, or not...

Regards from a noobie in Norway
    Asbjørn

Qualify of my signal

Originally posted by aaamot View Post
    Another question ;
    Is there a way for me to see how the quality of my signal is ?
    As of now I see "sendt 1 AC in 1 packet" that confirms to me that I in fact are recieving a signal.
    But I do not see if the signal is optimal.
    both according to pr second data hits, or information quality ..
    Maybe I missed something, but since I run the FR24feed on an old computer it would be fine to see if my equipment is good enough, or not...

Regards from a noobie in Norway
    Asbjørn
    Hi Asbjørn, I use pi connected with a RTL-SDR dongle, I run dump1090 --interactive to monitor the health of my received data as dump1090 sends the data to fr24 I can see the qualify of data I am feeding it. I watch the "Sig" signal strength from each entry to give me a feel of how strong each signal I am receiving.

If you have not upgraded you antenna I recommend looking into that, the stock antenna that comes with the dongle doesn't work as well as a "real" antenna tuned to 1090Mhz.

I don't think an old computer makes a difference as there isn't alot of CPU power required to do this stuff.

Comment

Thanks.
      I've got me an new RPI since last time, a better antenna, a 1090 filter, and an antenna amp, so the results are better now.
      Running both the RPI and an old PC with W10.The amp has also a splitter buildtin so I feed both with the same antenna.

Ill find some images to show...

Regards, Asbjorn
      Attached Files

Comment

I also run VirtualRadar on the pc, merging the 2 signals, and therefore see the results of both.
        The PC seems to give much more "bad signals" than the RPI, according to the interface for Virtualradar.
        Since I live at the coastline in Norway, ( and here we have a lot of fjords, and mountains) a 360 free wiew is not possible, if I dont live on a mountain top
        See Location where I live - use zoom to see more / less...

Regards, Asbjorn

Comment

Originally posted by aaamot View Post
          Thanks.

Ill find some images to show...

Regards, Asbjorn
          Hi, what software tool are you using to make your distance plots?

Comment

Originally posted by 16R View Post
            Hi, what software tool are you using to make your distance plots?
            Raspberry PI, and feeding VirtualRadar running on a PC.
            ( VR picking up port 30003 on PI's IP....)

There is also a VirtualRadar for PI too, but I didn't get it installed there yet.
            ( I'm a windows / PC kind of man.... )

Dont know why, but the distance plots wouldn't plot with windows alone...

regards, Asbjorn.

Comment

Originally posted by 16R View Post
              Hi Asbjørn, I use pi connected with a RTL-SDR dongle, I run dump1090 --interactive to monitor the health of my received data as dump1090 sends the data to fr24 I can see the qualify of data I am feeding it. I watch the "Sig" signal strength from each entry to give me a feel of how strong each signal I am receiving.

If you have not upgraded you antenna I recommend looking into that, the stock antenna that comes with the dongle doesn't work as well as a "real" antenna tuned to 1090Mhz.

I don't think an old computer makes a difference as there isn't alot of CPU power required to do this stuff.
              Hi 16R,

where do you see the difference or result if you add "--interactive" to the additional dump1090 arguments?

Thanks,

majo

Comment

Originally posted by majo View Post
                Hi 16R,

where do you see the difference or result if you add "--interactive" to the additional dump1090 arguments?

majo
                Hi majo, I had to use 'screen' to do it. Added a script to run after boot to started a screen session then I use ssh to view the running screen session. In my case, I run dump1090 on a standalone pi just for ADS-B, then I run ssh on another computer to monitor the running dump1090 in the screen session.

If anyone know of a better or easier way, please chime in.

The script: /usr/lib/fr24/run.see.dump1090.sh

Code:
                # run.see.dump1090.sh
                # 8/7/2016
                #
                # dump1090 gets started upon boot, but I dont' know how to then
                # view the interactive output.  This script gets started via
                # a screen session in /etc/rc.local.
                # To view the interactive output screen -x to the session.
                #
                service dump1090 stop
                #
                # For the browser to work (IP:8080) you must be at the
                # /usr/lib/fr24 when launching dump1090.  If you are not
                # at /usr/lib/fr24 and launch via explicate path /usr/lib/fr24/dump1090
                # then the browser does not work!
                cd /usr/lib/fr24
                ./dump1090 --net --net-beast --modeac --mlat --interactive --interactive-ttl 30
                Inserted this in /etc/rc.local just before the 'exit 0' entry at the end of the file:

Code:
                # Start the run.see.dump1090.sh in a screen session, because this is the
                # only way I know how to see the dump1090 interactive output.
                screen -dmS run.see.dump1090 bash -c 'cd /usr/lib/fr24; ./run.see.dump1090.sh; exec bash'
                Then to view the session on the same or other computer:

Code:
                screen -x run.see.dump1090
                screen is a bit complicated to use, so it is best to learn how to use screen sessions to navigate it.
                Last edited by 16R; 2016-08-20, 14:51.

Comment

Working...
                X