Announcement

Collapse

DO NOT POST NEW THREADS HERE

This area is read only. And does not allow new topics

If you have legitimate suggestions - add them to the appropriate exisiting threads.
See more
See less

FUTURE FEATURE REQUESTS & UPDATES - Data Sharing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FUTURE FEATURE REQUESTS & UPDATES - Data Sharing

Hi all,

Please include all feature requests and suggestions for data sharing here. Please note that the two high priority platforms are Raspberry Pi and Windows. OSX and Linux will depend on number of requests received!
    --

A better gui (material design) of the windows tool would look nice instead of the command line

Mauritius T-FIMP4 (Offline)
    Mauritius F-FIMP7 (Online)

Comment

Originally posted by KOM20 View Post
      A better gui (material design) of the windows tool would look nice instead of the command line
      Thanks! I have added it to the list of requests.
      --

Comment

Appreciate the newer users might find it helpful to adjust the wording or bring back the startup messages in Windows port.

Later versions appear to not feed report mr-dump1090 feedback

[main][i]FR24 Feeder/Decoder
        [main][i]Version: 1.0.18-9/generic
        [main][i]Built on Apr 21 2017 14:51:08 (???/Windows/i386)

[reader][i]Connecting to DVBT receiver via (exe://mr-dump1090.exe --raw)
        [reader][i]Connected to the receiver, configuring
        [reader][i]Configured, processing messages
        [reader][i]Connection terminated
        [reader][i]Configured, processing messages
        [reader][i]Connection terminated
        Which could confuse, as I ran the test knowing my DVBT stick was not connected. But you can no longer tell

Running mr-dump1090.exe on its own produces the expected detection report:

Found 1 device(s):
        0: Realtek, RTL2838UHIDIR, SN: 00000001 (currently selected)
        Found Rafael Micro R820T tuner
        Max available gain is: 49.60
        Setting gain to: 49.60
        Exact sample rate is: 2000000.052982 Hz
        Gain reported by device: 49.60
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

If a new thread is created, the opening post can be edited. However I did not find method to edit the thread TITLE. It will be nice to include this feature also.

I have created a new thread today titled:
          Find Out Existing RF Signals (Cell/Mobile/Pager etc) In Your Area

After creating it, I felt that the Title needs improvement, and wanted to change it to following, but could not:
          Find Out RF Signals Affecting ADS-B Reception in Your Area (Cell/Mobile/Pager etc)

Can Admin please help me to change the Title of the thread?

Comment

Not sure if this feature request belongs here or in the website-thread:
            Receiver coverage map with better resolution (google maps) would be nice. Selectable option for coverage on different flightlevels (+/-)

Comment

Originally posted by helios View Post
              Not sure if this feature request belongs here or in the website-thread:
              Receiver coverage map with better resolution (google maps) would be nice. Selectable option for coverage on different flightlevels (+/-)
              This already exists, it’s called Virtual Radar Server and will take a feed from your FR24 box or dongle and give you range rings for different heights, along with logging and details of all aircraft tracked.
              FR24 F-EGLF1, Blitzortung station 878, OGN Aldersht2, PilotAware PWAldersht, PlanePlotter M7.

Comment

Ok, meanwhile i got Virtual Radar working.
                But I thought more of something like this:
                http://flarmrange.onglide.com/?#CIME...900ff,circles;
                Where it is possible for example to show the lowest altitude for a given coordinate.

Comment

I don't know where to submit comments to the fr24 devs so I'm doing it here...

While it's great that the fr24feed package has been updated to use systemd, it seems to be a beta test. There are a few questionable things going on (some due to the change and some previously existing):

1. A cron-job runs the update script every day at 7:00. This is what apt-get is for. Many people already have an established routine for performing updates, often including change control to avoid broken software! Running a parallel update process, with STDERR and STDOUT redirected to /dev/null so that nobody ever sees any problems with the script, does not seem like best practice. This should, at least, be optional when installing.

2. The /etc/systemd/system/fr24feed.service file contains elements that break other software. Creating and changing ownership of /run/dump1090-mutability breaks existing stand-alone dump1090-mutability installations. If this is required for a bundled version, then do some checking first at time of installation and decide whether to include this. if receiver="avr-tcp" in /etc/fr24feed.ini, then there is no need to touch /run/dump1090-mutability at all. Yes, I know the script looks for the string dvbt (if grep -q dvbt /etc/fr24feed.ini), but in some cases it will be there, commented out. This is not a robust test. At least evaluate the fr24feed.ini file and then test the value of $receiver.

3. Changing another process' log directory to be writeable by everyone (ExecStartPre=-/bin/chmod a+rwx /var/log/lighttpd) is a very bad idea. It will allow someone to create a link to another file and potentially over-write something sensitive or critical. Very, very bad idea.

4. Enforcing package dependancies in the update script doesn't seem like a good idea. Why not create the appropriate entry for dump1090-mutability in the apt sources file and declare the dependancy in the fr24feed package. The system infrastructure is there, it just needs to be used.

# Download and install dump1090-mutability
                  wget -O /tmp/dump1090-mutability_1.14_armhf.deb hxxps://github.com/mutability/dump1090/releases/download/v1.14/dump1090-mutability_1.14_armhf.deb
                  dpkg -i /tmp/dump1090-mutability_1.14_armhf.deb
                  rm -f /tmp/dump1090-mutability_1.14_armhf.deb

Do the fr24feed package developers read this? I'm sure there are lots of people that can help them make their system better, currently it looks like it was created by a developer and not a system administrator.

Constructively yours,
                  Len

Comment

Originally posted by fr24-pad View Post
                    I don't know where to submit comments to the fr24 devs so I'm doing it here...

Do the fr24feed package developers read this? I'm sure there are lots of people that can help them make their system better, currently it looks like it was created by a developer and not a system administrator.

Constructively yours,
                    Len
                    Once in a blue moon. Possibly get better from emailling spport.
                    Last edited by Oblivian; 2018-01-20, 12:27.
                    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Access from the My Account / Statistics page to a listing of what the feeder station is receiving/uploading - similar to <ip_of_pi>:8754/tracked.html. This would help in confirming that my feeder stations data is being uploaded, especially for those 'remote' installations not connected to your local network.

Thanks

Peter

ylis

Comment

Thanks Peter! This has already been added to our list of things to improve/add to stats page.
                        --

Comment

fr24feed 64-bit binaries are urgently needed for new boards, faster and low power consumption, boards, like Libre Computer "Le Potato" and ASUS "Tinker Board" using ARM64 architecture, aka aarch64, aka ARMv8 !upp
                          Last edited by HAm; 2018-02-18, 08:13.

Comment

I'll like to have the ability to show in the local map also my other receiver: i.e. show the two (or more) location and the distance circle for the two location AND the traffic from the two (or more) locations.
                            I know it is possible today to feed one receiver with the data captured by another one, but this result in one only feed to FR24.
                            Thank you.

Comment

(If not auto-detected or due to being a generic cross-hardware type setting) re-word output for BEAST TCP mode

[I][reader]Connecting to unknown receiver via (tcp://127.0.0.1:30005)

It use change to say [reader]Connecting to DVBT-TCP-BEAST-RAW receiver via (tcp://localhost:30005) and so on?

Comment

Working...
                              X