Discussion about Flightradar24 database

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rik130 View Post
    So who are these mysterious other 19 database editors to which you keep referring in these discussions? I've been here for umpteen years and the only editor that's ever shown their presence on the forums is Maxi. Given the complexity of the database and tendency for errors/typos, why have none of these 'other' 19 editors pariticipated in the forums to clarify the accuracy of submissions etc? These questions were raised a few years ago when Maxi went on holiday for a month and absolutely no additions or corrections that had been submitted during that period were added to the database until Maxi returned and did them himself. You claimed to have 20 database editors so what do these other 19 editors do as it's clear they don't do any hex code additions or corrections?

It's all well and good bragging about how many hex codes you have in your database but it's moot if you don't have an experienced team of editors screening the data to confirm its accuracy before sending it to the database. By your own admission you have 16,511 erroneous entries - and those are just the ones you know about. Those would not be in the database had they been screened beforehand.

I can quite well imagine you view apg and myself as being a perpetual thorn in your side for giving you brief over the database but it's simply born out of sheer frustration when submitted corrections are ignored or overruled by your 20-strong editorial team who apparently know better, or additions are added but then overwritten back to the original incorrect data by your third party data sources and the whole cycle just keeps repeating. I've seen this happen numerous times with my Boeing 737 additions and every time I have raised the issue it's been completely ignored so I no longer bother posting them. What's the point in me wasting my time?

Without wishing to create a cacophony of trumpet blowing you have the best hex codes researchers in the world right here in front you. I defy you to find anyone who has a higher attention to detail and level of screening/proofing the codes for accuracy than apg, 40612 and myself (+ a couple of others who don't post on these forums). You won't find anyone better because they don't exist. Everyone else simply works on the premise that (eg.) if the mode-s callsign field shows the registration then that's what the registration is and sends it off to the database without even bothering to proof it and this is causing the database to be filling up with rubbish. You have a 1.1m hex code database to maintain which is a mammoth task but your whole business model relies on serving accurate data to the public so why wouldn't you want the very best researchers in the 'industry' on your team to ensure that the database is maintained to the highest standard possible? If FR24 was my company I would be grabbing all 3 people with both hands.

What am I missing?
    What am I missing. Why is the number, their identity so important. Who said they are on the forum?
    If it makes you more satisfied I can change the number to 1 database editor? Or suggest abother number? Will it make you drop this topic?
    Why not report errors instead of disucuss the number of DB editors?

What am I missing?

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
      Every person updating the database is doing their best.
      If would need to verify every data added we would add 2 aircraft per day.
      As I wrote, if any data is incorrect please report the errors.
      Mike you missed my point it was just about the entries that have an unverified registration and no other details.

Two a day!! You Swedes are way too relaxed Today I gave you six from official data sources on the web, two with msn missing (because they cant be verified officially on line), two from industry data (which you probably dont have access to) and one from common sense. And that's with out trying.... I need to take a holiday!!

Ask the boss about my idea of employing someone to do it full time then get back to me

Comment

Mike

You seriously need to look at whoever it is on your team that is not behaving correctly

Comment

Originally posted by apgphoto View Post
          I need to take a holiday!!
          Sounds like a great idea!

Comment

On 25th April 2018 the following aircraft was registered:

Hex: 401DD0
            Aircraft registration: G-BGPJ
            Aircraft Designator: P28A
            Aircraft type: Piper PA-28-161
            Registered Owner: West Lancs Warrior Co Ltd

Flights appeared on FR24 until recently when either nothing is shown or abbreviated tracks.
            No ADSB so reliant on radar to pick up aircraft. Any ideas why change has happened?

Comment

Sounds like a great idea!
              With the amount of censorship from your team today, but if your happy to keep a bad apple in there so be it

Comment

Mike

You seriously need to look at whoever it is on your team that is not behaving correctly
                I agree, it's totally amazing that people can't follow simple rules like

The airplane information shown on FR24 is not transmitted by the airplane. The information comes from a database - Lookup associated to the unique Hex/ModeS code that is transmitted by the airplane. Every day there are new deliveries and old aircraft getting new owners, so new information has to be modified daily. Help us in

No discussions in this thread. If you want to discuss any data feel free to use...

Comment

I agree, it's totally amazing that people can't follow simple rules like

The airplane information shown on FR24 is not transmitted by the airplane. The information comes from a database - Lookup associated to the unique Hex/ModeS code that is transmitted by the airplane. Every day there are new deliveries and old aircraft getting new owners, so new information has to be modified daily. Help us in

No discussions in this thread. If you want to discuss any data feel free to use...
                  I totally agree with you Mike and the sooner you sort out your internal staff problem the better it is for all your users

Comment

I totally agree with you Mike and the sooner you sort out your internal staff problem the better it is for all your users
                    You can find our current job openings at https://careers.flightradar24.com/

Comment

You can find our current job openings at https://careers.flightradar24.com/
                      You have told them.....I’m sure under Swedish law it’s wrong to advertise a job when someone is still in that position.

PS how cool is it SHM are back!

Thread drift this is about the database not wanted adds.

Can you not flag up registrations that are already in the DB (to the staff) to prevent the Brazilian team members adding duplicates, as in the case with the latest EasyJet/old Challenger? I did explain what happened but they deleted my posts to cover their tracks.

Comment

You have told them.....I’m sure under Swedish law it’s wrong to advertise a job when someone is still in that position.

PS how cool is it SHM are back!

Thread drift this is about the database not wanted adds.

Can you not flag up registrations that are already in the DB (to the staff) to prevent the Brazilian team members adding duplicates, as in the case with the latest EasyJet/old Challenger? I did explain what happened but they deleted my posts to cover their tracks.
                        No, there is no feature in vbulletin to block dupe posts but there is a feature to report posts if you they are not following the rules. Feel free to use it.

Comment

No, there is no feature in vbulletin to block dupe posts but there is a feature to report posts if you they are not following the rules. Feel free to use it.
                          You did read my post because your response is not to it, but thanks for the handy tip anyway, but I have no idea what vbulletin is.

Comment

Agp you are wasting your time. Same for this post here from you https://forum.flightradar24.com/thre...l=1#post112560. Mike cannot take any criticism even when it's constructive and people are trying to help him. His modus operandi is to treat his entire userbase and staff with utter contempt as we have seen time and time again from his replies in these threads. When have you ever seen a thanks or any appreciation from him for the hours that you and other prolific users spend researching the hex codes and submitting corrections and additions? I'll tell you how many times that's happened in the 7 years I've been here : 0.

Save your time, save you enegy my friend. Don't contribute anything further and let him run his site into the ground which seems to be his ultimate goal. Maybe then a true competitor will rise up where the owners actually appreciate their user's efforts and this site will die a death like it deserves with these people running it.

Comment

Hello guys, I am an aviation enthusiast and a frequent user of FR24. From these topics and conversations, I have gathered that an intuitive online crowdsourced data management application is what's missing from the mix. If and when available, that should allow qualified expert contributors to cross-check each other's work for authenticity and quality control. This will result in refined and well curated information that can be exposed via clean and secure open API standards with high confidence.

The reason I bring this up is that I am willing to help with this as my contribution to the community. I am a full-stack software engineer and architect with 20+ years of experience in the field involving front-end web technologies, application back-end, data indexing solutions, TCP/IP, WebSockets, and anything in between. I work with large datasets, machine learning and AI technologies dealing with terabytes of information amounting to 100's of billions of records. Also specialize in GIS (Geographic Information System) domain. If anyone of you would like to collaborate then please contact me to streamline this process. I can architect the full solution and develop it for the community with useful feedback from qualified individuals. Interested?
                              Last edited by GeoRover; 2019-01-09, 03:16.

Comment

Playback is completely broken again. The plane icon won't move from the origin airport when using the time slider and there are no times specified in the box below it. Where is Mike? No response to any bug reports in weeks. Has he finally been sacked by the owners and they're recruiting for some experienced web developers?

Comment

Working...
                                X