AcarsDeco2 - multi-channels console RTLSDR ACARS decoder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm using one dongle.
    In step 5, after entering the second line of code, I get a "device not found" message.

Comment

Originally posted by gcopter1 View Post
      I'm using one dongle.
      In step 5, after entering the second line of code, I get a "device not found" message.
      If you are using only one dongle, delete the line --device-index 1 \

Alternatively in place of 1 use 0, like below

--device-index 0 \
      Last edited by abcd567; 2018-07-24, 23:22.

Comment

So what if I get a "Error: sdr_open( ): Device or resource busy" ?

Comment

So what if I get a "Error: sdr_open( ): Device or resource busy" ?
          That shows that you are also running another software which is using the dongle. Are you running fr24feed or dump1090 or modeSDeco2 on this Pi? If so, then one dongle is not enough. You will need 2nd dongle for AcarsDeco2.

Comment

I'm following the instructions to run dump1090 on raspbian stretch. I've installed both dump1090 and acarsdeco2.

Comment

I'm following the instructions to run dump1090 on raspbian stretch. I've installed both dump1090 and acarsdeco2.
              You need 2 dongles. One for dump1090, other for AcarsDeco2. You cannot run both software with one dongle.

Comment

Both dongles need to be for 1090MHz?

Just curious, but, if I'm only wanting to use Acarsdeco for ACARS decoding, why the two dongles?

Comment

Both require real-time monitoring of each frequency. 1 cannot do this.

You need to pick a role. Airplanes, no acars. Acars, totally remove dump1090 and all plane software so it doesn't access stick.

Unless you are confident with full control of the many packages required for adsb and stopping them auto starting/using usb stick automatically

His guide is for getting both. Not purely acars. Which has a different setup.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
                  Last edited by Oblivian; 2018-07-25, 00:35.
                  Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Originally posted by Oblivian View Post
                    Both require real-time monitoring of each frequency. 1 cannot do this.

You need to pick a role. Airplanes, no acars. Acars, totally remove dump1090 and all plane software so it doesn't access stick.

Unless you are confident with full control of the many packages required for adsb and stopping them auto starting/using usb stick automatically

His guide is for getting both. Not purely acars. Which has a different setup.

Sent from my XT1092 using Tapatalk
                    Not sure what you mean by "Airplanes, no acars"

I only want to use Acarsdeco2, from the screenshots I've seen online, it displays aircraft pictures and the messages displayed, seem to be broken down by category, i.e., flight number, registration, etc.

I already have a separate dongle, a FlightAware ProStick, on another RaspberryPi3, decoding 1090. Been wanting to have Acarsdeco2 running on another Rpi3 for ACARS only. Was hoping these instructions would get me there, as the old ones found online, do not take into account recent improvements in hardware and operating systems.

So, what can i use to tune the dongle to the ACARS frequencies?
                    Last edited by gcopter1; 2018-07-25, 01:02.

Comment

As Oblivian has already explained one dongle can play only one role. With one dongle, if you want planes (i.e running dump1090), then no acars. If you want acars, then no plane (i.e. stop or remove dump 1090).

You can however switch between the two fuctions with one dongle as follows:

(1) Delete file ad2.sh
                      Code:
                      cd ~/
                      cd acars
                      sudo rm ad2.sh

(2) Stop fr24feed, piaware feed, and dump1090
                      Code:
                      sudo killall acarsdeco2
                      sudo systemctl stop fr24feed
                      sudo systemctl stop piaware
                      sudo systemctl stop dump1090
                      sudo systemctl stop dump1090-mutability
                      sudo systemctl stop dump1090-fa

(3) After above commands, the dongle will be free to use by AcarsDeco2. Give following command to run it:

Code:
                      cd acars 
                      ./acarsdeco2 --gain 49.6 --freq 131550000 131725000 --http-port 8686 &
                      As the dongle is free, you should get following output
                      Code:
                      [1] 981 AcarSDeco2 v.20180603 
                      Using device: 0 mnf: Realtek prod: RTL2832U serial: 00000001 
                      Sampling rate: 1400000.018544 sps 
                      Supported Gains (dB): 0.0 0.9 1.4 2.7 3.7 7.7 8.7 12.5 14.4 15.7 16.6 19.7 20.7 22.9 25.4 28.0 29.7 32.8 33.8 36.4 37.2 38.6 40.2 42.1 43.4 43.9 44.5 48.0 49.6 
                      Freq: 131.637 MHz 
                      Freq Correction: 0 ppm 
                      Gain: 49.6 dB 
                      Trying to use 16 buffers in memory explicitly allocated to support zero-copy
                      (4) Open your browser and type following address

IP-OF-PI:8686

(5) To restart dump1090, fr24feed, piaware etc, reboot the Pi
                      Code:
                      sudo reboot
                      Last edited by abcd567; 2018-07-25, 01:10.

Comment

Been wanting to have Acarsdeco2 running on another Rpi3 for ACARS only.
                        To run AcarsDeco2 with one dongle, you have to remove dump1090 from that Pi so that the dongle is not grabbed by dump1090, leaving AcarsDeco2 dongle-less.

The best and cleanest option is to write fresh Raspbian Stretch image on the microSD card of the acars Pi. This way you will have a OS which does NOT have dump1090. Now you can follow the process described in post # 60 (click here) of this thread. You do not have to serialize the dongle. Simply delete the following line from file ad2.sh
                        --device-index 1 \
                        Last edited by abcd567; 2018-07-25, 13:58.

Comment

I appreciate the help.

By the title of the thread, i assumed I was going to find instructions to decode ACARS with ACARSDECO2. If ACARSDECO2 is an ACARS decoding program, why would I need 1090 capabilities? Why would I need the 1090 software?

But that's what is in the instructions so forgive me if I didn't get this.

Nowhere did I saw /read, I would need two dongles to receive ACARS messages, thus my confusion as to why the program didn't work or needed two dongles (which still is a mystery to me).

Two dongles imply tuning different frequencies, as in, one dongle for 1090 ADSB, and the other dongle to decode VHF ACARS frequencies.

Comment

Originally posted by abcd567 View Post
                            To run AcarsDeco2 with one dongle, you have to remove dump1090 from that Pi so that the dongle is not grabbed by dump1090, leaving AcarsDeco2 dongle-less.

The best and cleanest option is to write fresh Raspbian Stretch image on the microSD card of the acars Pi. This way you will have a OS which does NOT have dump1090. Now you can follow the process described in first post of this thread. You do not have to serialize the dongle. Simply delete the following line from file ad2.sh
                            --device-index 1 \
                            Could you point me to where in the messages these instructions start? Everything I read from the beginning seems to be geared to a Windows install?

Comment

I appreciate the help.

By the title of the thread, i assumed I was going to find instructions to decode ACARS with ACARSDECO2. If ACARSDECO2 is an ACARS decoding program, why would I need 1090 capabilities? Why would I need the 1090 software?
                              The acarsdeco2 does not need dump1090. The thread is meant to ADD acars to an existing install of dump1090+dongle.

Since acars cannot share the dongle already in use by dump1090, a 2nd dongle is required to be plugged into the Pi for exclusive use by acars.

Nowhere did I saw /read, I would need two dongles to receive ACARS messages, thus my confusion as to why the program didn't work or needed two dongles.
                              Ok, I will add 2 dongle comment (1 for dump1090 1 for acars) so that it is clear for everyone.

Two dongles imply tuning different frequencies, as in, one dongle for 1090 ADSB, and the other dongle to decode VHF ACARS frequencies.
                              Option A - 1 Pi, 2 dongles
                              One Pi running both dump1090 AND acars - needs two dongles, one for dump1090, 1 for acars.

Follow instructions in post #60 of this thread.

Option B - 2 Pi, 2 dongles
                              Pi #1 running acars ONLY - needs one dongle
                              Pi #2 running dump1090 ONLY - needs one dongle.

Follow instructions in my post #71 above.

Last edited by abcd567; 2018-07-25, 02:19.

Comment

Could you point me to where in the messages these instructions start? Everything I read from the beginning seems to be geared to a Windows install?
                                ALL INSTRUCTIONS IN post #60 on page #6 are for Rapberry Pi install. Instructions for Windows are in posts before that.
                                Last edited by abcd567; 2018-07-25, 02:18.

Comment

Working...
                                X