ATC delays over Southern England

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATC delays over Southern England

The chaos that occurred on Friday and into today when the ATC computers went down reminds me of a recording (LP record for the older forum members) of David Gunson in the early eighties that I have, entitled "What Goes Up Might Come Down!" He was an ex ATC and worked at Birmingham Airport. The LP is a recording of the talk he gave in March 1981 and part of it mentioned the time when the ATC went down throwing them into a panic- he mentions that a cleaner was in the room and had removed a plug !!!. Looking at the twitter feeds on FR24 last night there was a cartoon of that scenario.
    On a more serious note, I wonder why Governments and other bodies are pressing for a new airport in the South of England with the high density of flights passing over and into the 4 main airports instead of looking further North ( I am a Northerner and prefer Manchester or Liverpool to depart from).

..... http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/4924716
    YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Thanks fungus for the link, I hope many members of FR24 forum listen to this very funny recording. I have still got the LP record and also a tape recording of it to play in the car at times 33 years on.

Comment

Seem to recall him doing one of our conferences quite some years ago.

Appears to be still on the circuit:

David is a brilliantly funny, former air traffic controller at Birmingham Airport. He speaks on the general theme of ‘What goes up doesn’t necessarily come down’ – comic stories of his experiences of narrowly averted disasters! Dave’s smooth approach and impeccable timing does nothing to allay the fears of frequent flyers, leaving them with the […]

Comment

Working...
        X