Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RTL1090 Frozen

Hi all,

Please could anyone advise on a remedy for my RTL1090 Software that just hangs on my PC? See attached screenshot.
    It was working perfectly prior to switching off PC lastnight but doesn't want to play today.

RTL1090.jpg

I have disconnected USB from PC and attached it to my laptop and started my laptops RTL1090 and it works perfectly. Reconnect back to PC and still hangs.

I have tried uninstalling usb interface 0 (bulk) driver, rebooting PC and reinstalling the drivers again but nothing.

I am running Windows XP with Service Pack 3

I do have newer versions of the RTL1090 software but still no change.

Thank you.
    T-EGBB16

Hardware: NooElec DVB-T2 Dongle, Raspi Pi2 Mod B, 6dB Collinear Antenna, Nevis Pre-Amp & 1090mhz SAW Filter, 9mtrs WF100 Cable and 28ft Mast.
    Software: Rasbain Jessie Lite, FR24 Feeder, Dump1090mutab and VRS.
    Stats for Mar 18, 2016. Uptime:100%. Aircraft seen:2,012. Positions Reported:486,817. Maximum Distance:243nm (Stats provided by FR24)

Update...

So, I get it partially working where the RTL1090 software is on Auto dB Gain receiving >180pkts but then it slowly drops in packets until it reaches zero and 0ms and 0/sec within 1 minute.

I restart the RTL software and the same happens.

I don't have another Active USB lead to try but do you think it's the Active USB lead or the USB port has given up trying to push 5volts thru 10mtrs of lead from PC to Dongle at base of antenna?

Thanks
    T-EGBB16

Hardware: NooElec DVB-T2 Dongle, Raspi Pi2 Mod B, 6dB Collinear Antenna, Nevis Pre-Amp & 1090mhz SAW Filter, 9mtrs WF100 Cable and 28ft Mast.
    Stats for Mar 18, 2016. Uptime:100%. Aircraft seen:2,012. Positions Reported:486,817. Maximum Distance:243nm (Stats provided by FR24)

Comment

Originally posted by Responder View Post
      Update...

So, I get it partially working where the RTL1090 software is on Auto dB Gain receiving >180pkts but then it slowly drops in packets until it reaches zero and 0ms and 0/sec within 1 minute.

I restart the RTL software and the same happens.

I don't have another Active USB lead to try but do you think it's the Active USB lead or the USB port has given up trying to push 5volts thru 10mtrs of lead from PC to Dongle at base of antenna?

Thanks
      I never got my active USB lead to work, but maybe you could try dropping a powered USB hub in at the PC end if the PC is struggling with getting the volts up there.

Comment

That or the unit is dying when its getting hot. They do go warm, and its quite possible to be developing a fault
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Morning Peter/Good evening Oblivian,

Peter: I've just bought a powered USB hub off eBay, so I'll give that a go when I get it, hopefully Tuesday or Wednesday. It's automatic switching, so if pc can't handle continuous 5volts, then the hub will switch over to power the lead. Initially, I found that Active cables don't work on the front USB slots in PC's, they only work on the rear USB slots, as they're directly connected to the MB - that's my theory if you've tried that.

Oblivian: When you say "unit is dying", I assume you mean the Dongle? Tried that one yesterday mate. I have three dongles - one in use and two new ones as backup and they all do the same thing.

Before I go climbing ladders again to bring antenna down to change lead/dongle. I'll wait for the powered hub to arrive and try Pete's suggestion first. I've got a backup setup I can feed FR24 with but this setup isn't 7mtrs high.

Thanks guys :-)
          T-EGBB16

Comment

I'm using a Raspberry Pi, I had no real option but to go the powered USB hub option when trying the active cable since I would be really surprised if the Pi could do and active USB lead and the dongle

What I'm doing now is somewhat simpler - put a satellite LNB amplifier on the antenna base (wrapped in self amalgamating tape to keep water out), and a voltage injector and 15v supply at the dongle end of the coax downlead.

Comment

Wow Peter, with your setup and your add-ons. My setup will become obsolete soon and won't be uploading anything to FR24, as your setup will capture everything and on a constant upstream to FR24. I may as well just give up now haha. Incidentally, where abouts in Dudley are you, as from where I am in Brierley Hill, we may be able to see one anothers antennas and as we both have the Bulgarian collinear, we may be able to co-phase the two :-)

Actually, I've entered idiot mode. What's the point of having an Active USB lead if I DON'T connect the Active repeater plug???? Yes, I have been using my 10mtrs of USB lead without the Active repeater plug (using as basic 10mtr extension). So guess what. I put on the Active repeater plug (between PC and USB lead) and Kaboom. Well, not so much of the Boom but pc is now feeding constant 5volts up lead with the Repeater and power isn't dropping out. However, I'll still attach the Powered hub when I receive it and give the pc a break :-)
              T-EGBB16

Comment

Wow Peter, with your setup and your add-ons. My setup will become obsolete soon and won't be uploading anything to FR24, as your setup will capture everything and on a constant upstream to FR24. I may as well just give up now haha. Incidentally, where abouts in Dudley are you, as from where I am in Brierley Hill, we may be able to see one anothers antennas and as we both have the Bulgarian collinear, we may be able to co-phase the two :-)

Actually, I've entered idiot mode. What's the point of having an Active USB lead if I DON'T connect the Active repeater plug???? Yes, I have been using my 10mtrs of USB lead without the Active repeater plug (using as basic 10mtr extension). So guess what. I put on the Active repeater plug (between PC and USB lead) and Kaboom. Well, not so much of the Boom but pc is now feeding constant 5volts up lead with the Repeater and power isn't dropping out. However, I'll still attach the Powered hub when I receive it and give the pc a break :-)
                Halesowen, top of Mucklows near Towsure.

The addons I have there are not extensive -
                On the bulgarian Co-linear I have a N-F-male adaptor
                The £4 satellite preamp screws to the adaptor (this also sorts out the mismatch of the 50 ohm antenna to 75 ohm downlead)
                then I have a l8.5m length of RG6 leftover from putting up a sat dish - with F connectors both ends
                Then the voltage injector £4 off ebay
                This runs off a 15v BT Home Hub PSU
                and a short length of coax to the dongle plugged into the Pi

I also have a 12v (really 10 - 20v) micro USB power regulator (£4 from ebay) that powers the PI from the Home Hub PSU

(For those not in the UK, BT Homehub is the router British Telecom send to all their internet customers)

Comment

Top of Mucklows is a great vantage point for reception but I'm on a ridge, where one side is higher than me (East/Southeast) so flights coming in over Clapton is a no no until they hit Milton Keynes and remainder lower, where I can get BFS Aldergrove from 7000ft and MCR from about 2000ft. I don't bother with little airports like BHX lol.

This satellite preamp you have is about 100dB. Won't that bring you in extra noise or is that where the dump1090 excels?

I've just tried this new Windows FR24beta feeder but I can't get it to work on my PC. Nothing ever works simply does it? I've posted about it on the particular thread.
                  T-EGBB16

Comment

Top of Mucklows is a great vantage point for reception but I'm on a ridge, where one side is higher than me (East/Southeast) so flights coming in over Clapton is a no no until they hit Milton Keynes and remainder lower, where I can get BFS Aldergrove from 7000ft and MCR from about 2000ft. I don't bother with little airports like BHX lol.

This satellite preamp you have is about 100dB. Won't that bring you in extra noise or is that where the dump1090 excels?

I've just tried this new Windows FR24beta feeder but I can't get it to work on my PC. Nothing ever works simply does it? I've posted about it on the particular thread.
                    The preamp is about 15db (that's what is says on the case) - it added about 10% to range and about 30% to number of aircraft received (from 1100-1200 a day, went to up to 1500 a day) - I really put it there to compensate for down lead losses.

The ideal place locally for a receiver nearby is real close to Starbucks, where the new ASDA is on the Kings Highway site in Quinton.

I tried the new feeder for the Pi, no real issues but I want to be able to see what flights it sees (like the dump1090 web page), and to know how to link it to ADSBscope - the command line switches are not documented.. As it is it would be excellent if shipped as a black box solution with all equipment - but if people are dipping into their own pockets to deploy it, then they should get something back.

Comment

Agreed, the new Asda in Quinton would be great for an antenna - ideally on its roof lol.

I don't know about this new feeder software. I read the thread and followed the setup procedure - considering my setup works perfect with the current FR feeder but the actual .exe file won't execute. Batch file goes on about some permissions and rtl-sdr.rules file but my setup works perfect without it and I cannot find a rtl-sdr.rules file to download and install anyway.
                      T-EGBB16

Comment

Working...
                      X