Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billion dollar blow for US paint companies

I guess this one goes in to the 'how far will this extend' basket;

A JUDGE has ordered three paint companies to pay 10 California cities and counties $US1.1 billion ($A1.23 billion) to remove lead from millions of older homes.

Judge James Kleinberg found the companies, Conagra Grocery Products, NL Industries and Sherwin-Williams marketed paint they knew was harmful to children.

Atlantic Richfield and DuPont were found not liable.

The companies have 15 days to object to the ruling, which the judge labelled as "tentative."

"There is a clear and present danger that needs to be addressed," Kleinberg wrote in his 110-page decision.

"The defendants sold lead paint with actual and constructive knowledge that it was harmful."

YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

what about pencil manufacturers ? LOL
    F-WSSS1 - Cats refused to Pee & Pooh on RadarBox - Running a FR24 Receiver & DVB-T Dongle 24/7 to piss off The Chief Thief.

Comment

Originally posted by Birdie View Post
      what about pencil manufacturers ? LOL
      That's something I hadnt considered- I've still got a piece of lead from a pencil stuck in the palm of my left hand from when I was a kid. (an old 'war' wound)

Gregg
      YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

I thought 'pencil lead' was a baked graphite & clay material - the hardness determined by the proportions used.

Comment

Originally posted by peterhr View Post
          I thought 'pencil lead' was a baked graphite & clay material - the hardness determined by the proportions used.
          Peter,
          It might be now but wasnt back in the '50's and '60's

Regards,
          Gregg

Comment

Originally posted by fungus View Post
            Peter,
            It might be now but wasnt back in the '50's and '60's

Regards,
            Gregg
            Nah, the lead used for pencils was in the paint on the outside - it's been graphite since the 1600's even in Oz.
            (apparently lead was used to make marks on papyrus by the ancient egyptions)

Comment

Originally posted by peterhr View Post
              Nah, the lead used for pencils was in the paint on the outside - it's been graphite since the 1600's even in Oz.
              (apparently lead was used to make marks on papyrus by the ancient egyptions)
              aah, perhaps that's why I'm still here. I was told by the doctors it was best left in place and wouldnt be an issue (after it had heeled over)- perhaps you can trust doctors afterall. However, my brother and I enjoyed nothing more than peeling the paint off the wall between our beds when we were kids. That might be a very different story and may explain a lot.

Gregg
              Last edited by fungus; 2013-12-18, 08:43.

Comment

Working...
              X