Logging on and viewing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logging on and viewing.

Well, every time I log on, I check at the bottom to see what other members are on ,but I have noticed that there are always more guests reading the site than there are members actually logged on !
    I have just had a look now and currently there are a mere 4 members logged on and 77 GUESTS !!

It would have been nicer if it was the other way rounds, 77 members and 4 guests !!

Sadly there will always be people who like to read what is going on, on a forum, without becoming involved, personally I think those people are a nuisance and should not be able to see hardly anything of the board.
    On the other hand you get the genuine prospective member who likes to just check the site out before registering.

I also notice that this forum has a large number of people as members, I wonder how many are persistent Dormant members ?

Bill

Normally you'll find that around 20%, maybe more, of the guests are actually search engine robots that check all the new posts and the layout of the forum so that items can be listed on the likes of Google. With the more active forums these "bots" are nearly always camped out on the site as there is constantly changing content on here. It's not like a company website where the content only changes when there is a new product.
    It would be nice to have 77 active members and only 4 guests but you don't know how many of those guests are actual members that have simply not logged in and are just reading, how many are logging in at the moment you looked at the total, how many are genuine visitors looking for information and are potential new members.

You can close these forums down so that guests can only see specific parts of the forum but then it can look like a small and uninteresting place to be which puts off new members.

As for active and dormant members, all forums are the same, you will have those who post a lot and those who don't it's just the way of things. You want good content so there's no point in people posting if they have nothing to say. There's nothing worse than going onto a forum that's full of welcome posts, someone has a high post count but has only said "Hi" to every new member and contributed nothing else.

I have a low post count because I've only contributed where I think my views, help or opinions are valid and useful. But I check the new posts a couple of times a day.

Comment

Originally posted by Hebwx View Post
      Normally you'll find that around 20%, maybe more, of the guests are actually search engine robots that check all the new posts and the layout of the forum so that items can be listed on the likes of Google. With the more active forums these "bots" are nearly always camped out on the site as there is constantly changing content on here. It's not like a company website where the content only changes when there is a new product.
      It would be nice to have 77 active members and only 4 guests but you don't know how many of those guests are actual members that have simply not logged in and are just reading, how many are logging in at the moment you looked at the total, how many are genuine visitors looking for information and are potential new members.

You can close these forums down so that guests can only see specific parts of the forum but then it can look like a small and uninteresting place to be which puts off new members.

As for active and dormant members, all forums are the same, you will have those who post a lot and those who don't it's just the way of things. You want good content so there's no point in people posting if they have nothing to say. There's nothing worse than going onto a forum that's full of welcome posts, someone has a high post count but has only said "Hi" to every new member and contributed nothing else.

I have a low post count because I've only contributed where I think my views, help or opinions are valid and useful. But I check the new posts a couple of times a day.

Very sensible mate, keeping your posts count low, I can see where you are coming from. I am not new to "Forum life", far from it, but I think I would prefer an active forum where Dormant members are kept to a minimum, because of course it just gives false numbers for the membership.I can see absolutly no point in someone registering to join a forum, any forum and then either never posting or only posting once in "a blue moon", either they are intersted in the forum theme or they are not.
      But then , it is personal choice, we cant all be the same.
      Regarding the subject of any member only posting to say "Hi" or making quick posts, well it does show that they are on line and logged on and not "lurking" as a guest, it also shows that they are active members, and active members is what keeps the forum, any forum going. There are a good number of Forums about, where you never have to register, you can read away all day every day and indeed on some you can even make a post without being a member. That kind of thing slightly annoys me, because Forum life is depends on its members getting involved.
      But like I said, we cant all be the same or life would be boring.
      Have a good day.

Bill

Comment

Working...
      X