X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio receivers in Thailand, license or not

Hi,

I did recently move to Thailand.
    I'm working on a ADS-B setup with FR24 feeder.

Somebody told me that you must have a license from Thai Transport Ministery just for owning a "Radio Communication Receiver" which can listen to frequencies outside public radio/TV bands.

Someone in Thiland who knows what is required?. Just putting up an 1090 antenna on the roof might have the police come wondering whats going on....

Rgds

I can't vouch for the currency of the linked document: http://thailaws.com/law/t_laws/tlaw0227.pdf

From experience, in for example drone operations, Thailand has a few gaps in its legal framework with new technology. However, ADS-B reception would probably be covered by the existing radio legislation. A general comment is that it would be very unlikely a small antenna would attract attention, unless a neighbour didn't like it and complained. In addition, asking government departments difficult questions generally causes a 'no' or long term prevarication. It pays to maintain a low profile in Thailand.

Comment

I know for a fact that scanner radio receivers are illegal to posses in Thailand. In 2008 I was interrogated at BKK over a Linksys GL router that was in my suitcase. They could see from the Xray an apparatus with 2 antennas and they wanted to know what it was and why I was bringing it into the kingdom. I politely explained it was a WiFi router and needed it for connecting my laptop to the internet. They looked at it very carefully and then let me go without confiscating it. Not sure if that was to do with the strict radio laws or customs act.
      www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

Originally posted by 1090 MHz View Post
        I know for a fact that scanner radio receivers are illegal to posses in Thailand. In 2008 I was interrogated at BKK over a Linksys GL router that was in my suitcase. They could see from the Xray an apparatus with 2 antennas and they wanted to know what it was and why I was bringing it into the kingdom. I politely explained it was a WiFi router and needed it for connecting my laptop to the internet. They looked at it very carefully and then let me go without confiscating it. Not sure if that was to do with the strict radio laws or customs act.
        It is not correct to say that the possession of comms receivers is illegal, it is the importation and use of one without an appropriate licence that is illegal. Hence why I attached the link to the legislation. Thailand is one of very few countries that even regulates what make and model of transceiver may be imported and used by licenced amateur radio operators.

Hence my suggestion of the futility of applying for a licence for an ADS-B receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by Stealth View Post
          It is not correct to say that the possession of comms receivers is illegal, it is the importation and use of one without an appropriate licence that is illegal. Hence why I attached the link to the legislation. Thailand is one of very few countries that even regulates what make and model of transceiver may be imported and used by licenced amateur radio operators.

Hence my suggestion of the futility of applying for a licence for an ADS-B receiver.
          Which ever way you want to look at it scanner radios are illegal in Thailand (without an appropriate license) and they are looking for what could be illegal radio apparatus being brought into the country from my own experience.
          FRS walkie-talkies are also illegal in Thailand because of the frequencies they operate on. Thailand has its own FRS/CB band in the 245 MHz range, and radios sold in Thailand that operate on this band must be red in color to be legal.
          Last edited by 1090 MHz; 2019-04-08, 15:43.
          www.ADS-B.ca

Comment

Working...
          X