• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Security breach email

Hi!

I have got this email:

Dear Flightradar24 user,

I regret to inform you that late last week we identified a security breach that may have compromised the email addresses and hashed passwords (see explanation below) for a small subset of Flightradar24 users (those who registered prior to March 16, 2016), including you.

Is it yours?

Thx,
    federbear.
    T-ENGM162 ex T-ENHA4, T-ENGM86, T-LHBP22

My photos - Planespotters
    My photos - Jetphotos

Originally posted by federbear View Post
    Hi!

I have got this email:

Dear Flightradar24 user,

I regret to inform you that late last week we identified a security breach that may have compromised the email addresses and hashed passwords (see explanation below) for a small subset of Flightradar24 users (those who registered prior to March 16, 2016), including you.

Is it yours?

Thx,
    federbear.
    Lot's of us got the same mail. I think FR24 should give us some more info. Like what hashing method they used on passwords (salted?). Also, why is a 2 year outdated user database online?

Comment

As it came from an address I didn't recognise (FR24.com) I've sent them a query to verify it is genuine. I also didn't like the look of the link it asked me to click on to reset password (which I haven't as yet).

Comment

Originally posted by Stealth View Post
        As it came from an address I didn't recognise (FR24.com) I've sent them a query to verify it is genuine. I also didn't like the look of the link it asked me to click on to reset password (which I haven't as yet).
        This address u708499.ct.sendgrid.net/ is suspicious. I thought immediately of a data fishing link, because it is not an FR24 site. Plus I do not like to click a link from an email, that would lead to a site changing password anyway.

So it is still an open question, and I hope they answer it as soon as possible.

My photos - Jetphotos

Comment

The host from which the e-mail was sent resolves to o1.post.flightradar24.com, chances are that it is legit.
          It is odd that there is no message from FR24 on twitter, facebook, etc. in this regard. Also no blog entry about this on the fr24 webpage.

Edit: Just saw it in the comments on facebook/fr24 that the mail is legitimate.
          Last edited by helios; 2018-06-19, 07:20.

Comment

Originally posted by helios View Post
            The host from which the e-mail was sent resolves to o1.post.flightradar24.com, chances are that it is legit.
            It is odd that there is no message from FR24 on twitter, facebook, etc. in this regard. Also no entry about this on the fr24 webpage.

Edit: Just saw it in the comments on facebook/fr24 that the mail is legitimate.
            Thx, I'll share it.

My photos - Jetphotos

Comment

It's in the news (german):
              Einige Mitglieder von Flightradar24 erhalten derzeit E-Mails mit Warnungen über einen Server-Einbruch. Die Betreiber haben Passwörter zurückgesetzt.

Comment

Originally posted by federbear View Post
                Hi!

I have got this email:

Dear Flightradar24 user,

Is it yours?

Thx,
                federbear.
                Yes, this is a genuine email from us. Please go ahead with changing your password.
                --

Comment

We can confirm that the email some of our users received in regards to a security breach has been sent by us. The security breach may have compromised the email addresses and hashed passwords for a small subset of Flightradar24 users (those who registered prior to March 16, 2016).

We would like to apologize that this breach occurred and for the inconvenience this may cause. We would also like to stress that we have no indication any of personal information was compromised.

The security breach was limited to one server and it was promptly shut down once the intrusion attempt had been ascertained. An email has been sent to users with affected accounts.

Please note that no payment information has been compromised. Flightradar24 neither handles nor stores payment information.

We recommend to change the password for your FR24 account. In case youÂ’ve used the same password anywhere else, we strongly suggest you update it there as well.

If you'd also like to change the email address of your Flightradar24 account, please email us via support@fr24.com providing both the old and the new email addresses. Also, it's possible to change the password directly via our website if you prefer.

Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconveniences caused. Our team will continue our thorough internal security review of our system and processes to see what more we can do to ensure that this never happens again.
                  Flightradar24.com Support

Comment

I got this email also, but thought it was a Phishing email at first.
                    Might I suggest to the staff that send these emails that they go not include a clickable link, instead requesting users go to the Flight Radar24 website, login and change the password like that manually.
                    Most banks do this nowadays.
                    Have changed my password now. Does this include the Forum accounts or just the main FR24 website accounts?

Comment

I also got this mail, And thought it was a Phushing,. And also do not use a link in an Email..
                      But over my Premium account ,. Changed my Password,.
                      Safest way..!
                      But found out that Email was original from FR24

Better being safe than sorry.....
                      Last edited by delcomp; 2018-06-20, 07:29.
                      (F-EDLE1)delcomp-DEL-David Tks(My friend Mike, all three of them)

URL: http://banner.flightdiary.net/EDLM
                      1090SJ(Ae) /(6m. Ecoflex10) / SBS 3 /-FR24 Box/ Power-line Connection (Ethernet)

Comment

does this affect people who log in using google? I guess not?
                        T-EDDS235

Comment

No, the only people that are potentially affected have been emailed. Those who didn't receive the email are in the clear. Also, please note that forum accounts are not affected.
                          --

Comment

Approximately how many accounts is "a small subset of Flightradar24 users"?

Thousands? Tens of thousands? Hundreds of thousands?

Comment

Originally posted by DontBreachMebro View Post
                              Approximately how many accounts is "a small subset of Flightradar24 users"?
                              I've seen one report quoting 230,000. But this needs to be verified.

Popular Flight Tracking Services Flightradar24 Hacked. Over 230,000 Users Email and Password Stolen by Hackers.
                              Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X