Flight Diversion Notifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight Diversion Notifications

Is it possible to setup an alert for flights that divert to a specific airport?

If not possible here, how do news outlets hear about these things?

Originally posted by dplarson View Post
    Is it possible to setup an alert for flights that divert to a specific airport?

If not possible here, how do news outlets hear about these things?
    Interesting question but I don't think there would be any way to easily do this. Obviously air traffic control somewhere would be aware of nearly all diversions but apart from listening to their broadcasts (which ATC centre and on which frequency?) or intercepting ACARS messages I can't see how the information could be accessed. Experienced radar spotters like FR24 users who are familiar with particular flights can sometimes pick a diversion taking place and make an educated guess as to where the plane is diverting to based on the type of aircraft and it's origin and ultimate destination. Very occasionally and I've only seen it happen with long international flights, Flight Aware will detail a diversion based, I'm guessing, on a change to the flight plan. I have no idea how news organisations get their leads but I do know that many come from tip offs so maybe a planespotter sees something and gives the media a call.
    Last edited by airnrail; 2016-01-23, 01:35.

Comment

Working...
    X