Planespotting Highlights 2014!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planespotting Highlights 2014!

These are my Planespotting Highlights 2014.

What was your Highlight in the last year?

Cheers, Thomas
    What about a LIKE on Facebook?

Another last Highlight this Year! After a 6 months D-Check SOFIA (Nasa B747-SP) leaves Hamburg

Cheers, Thomas
    What about a LIKE on Facebook?

Comment

I'm a spotter out at ORD, we had a few rare planes or liveries come in this past year. One that I'll remember is the AN-124. It came in from CUN bringing an engine (can't remember for what type of plane). According to the cargo workers at the airport, this would have been fine on a 744, but an AN124 was sent for some reason. I'll take the rare opportunity though. This one was rather odd. It was scheduled to come in, then cancelled, then rescheduled. The weather was poor when it came in, so I began driving home when I heard it was cancelled. Once I heard it was scheduled again, I made a mad dash back to the airport after returning home. Luckily, I also work near the airport, and it departed just after my lunch break. I was able to take a longer lunch to catch the rare departure.

The other rare one I'll remember from 2014 was an Air New Zealand 77W. May not sound impressive, since 77Ws fly everywhere and ANZ services several airports across the world. ORD is not one of those airports though. The New Zealand All Blacks rugby team was doing an exhibition match in Chicago, and this was the plane that was chartered out. The experience makes this one though. Several area spotters made the trip out to see this. Most of us were set up on the east side of the airport to catch the landings in the west flow. We had good weather and light for most of the day in this location. The plane left late though, and got caught up at LAX for a bit. We were doubting we'd have enough light to catch this. Then, about 15 minutes prior to it's arrival, we saw fewer and fewer planes lining up. Then a few cars peeled out of the parking lot much like bank robbers who just heard the police dispatched. My friends and I quickly gathered our cameras and begun following the mad scramble that looked like scene from the movie Twister. The wind must have shifted enough to cause them to change runways and land the opposite direction. Luckily, we were able to make it to the other side of the airport just before dusk with about 10 minutes to spare before ORD's only ANZ arrival.

Comment

Working...
      X