Radar Spotting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radar Spotting

I'm completely new to most of this so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. I normally do plane spotting the "old fashioned" way with binoculars, a notebook and a pen. My question is simple......does a "radar spot" actually count as a "loggable" spot nowadays?

Originally posted by SWMcCaig View Post
    I'm completely new to most of this so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question. I normally do plane spotting the "old fashioned" way with binoculars, a notebook and a pen. My question is simple......does a "radar spot" actually count as a "loggable" spot nowadays?
    Spotting an Aircraft on a screen does not count as a 'Spot', Radar spotting helps you identify Aircraft that are heading into your area. Dot spotters find this method of spotting very useful as in the past it was virtually impossible to read off a Registration at 40,000 feet, now with just a click they can identify the Aircraft.
    Last edited by speedbird1960; 2013-07-30, 10:34.
    AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

Comment

The first rule of spotting is to actually see the aircraft. With this in mind, what is commonly called "dot spotting" counts although the A/c is seen first on radar then looking for any contrail (see threads on contrail spotting), you know that at the front of the contrail is the aircraft. However small this may be, "the dot", it counts. There are many of us enjoying the hobby who don't live anywhere near an airport and have no chance of getting to one. Personally I have done all my spotting at ranges of 10 to 70 miles in the best conditions. Luckily I saw a Cargolux freighter today at about 60 miles but clearly visible.

Comment

My fave "Radar/Dot spot" is THT7 from Paris to Tahiti which I often see heading NW over darkest Essex on Sunday mornings.With binoculars you can make out markings and type depending on weather.Obviously it is following a GC route and is via LA but it does seem odd to see it traveling in a NW direction for a South Pacific destination!

Comment

Working...
        X