X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New To Spotting.

Hi,

I have a couple of questions about the hobby:

I am taking my daughter (aged 10) to Heathrow tomorrow to the Northern Perimeter Road (Heathrow Academy). She only has a 210mm lens to take photos with will this be enough?

What would be the best book for her to "tick off" plane registrations and/or tail fin designs?

I have been doing a bit of research, but it is always best to get info from those that know.

Thanks in advance.
    Interested in all Austrian (any registrations beginning OE) info and using a DVB-T Dongle with Basestation.

I have never tried that spot. I go to either 09L approach or Myrtle Avenue; depends on which way the wind is blowing. It looks as if take offs and landings tomorrow will be from the East so I would suggest Myrtle Avenue.
    At that spot, a 210mm lens would be too large.
    On Google Earth, Myrtle Ave is at 51°27'49.00"N 0°25'43.00"W.
    For 09L arrivials; 51°28'36.92"N 0°29'45.45"W
    This was a departure taken at Myrtle Avenue: http://kelvindavies.co.uk/kelvin//de...image_id=10888
    And this is an arrival at 09L: http://kelvindavies.co.uk/kelvin//de...image_id=10730
    Enjoy!

Comment

Thanks Kelvin.

We'll try that first. I know where that is as Bedfont FC is just up the road and I have photographed matches there in the past.

We should be able to get the Reg numbers to write down from there.

Brilliant photos btw. What camera kit were you using?
      Interested in all Austrian (any registrations beginning OE) info and using a DVB-T Dongle with Basestation.

Comment

Thanks for the compliment.
        For the United flight, I was using a 70 to 300mm telephoto at 133mm; for the Emirates flight I used a smaller lens at 28mm. My camera is a Canon EOS600D.
        I usually try to get a photo of the reg no as the plane goes by, then work it out when I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelvin View Post
          Thanks for the compliment.
          For the United flight, I was using a 70 to 300mm telephoto at 133mm; for the Emirates flight I used a smaller lens at 28mm. My camera is a Canon EOS600D.
          I usually try to get a photo of the reg no as the plane goes by, then work it out when I get home.
          Kelvin,
          Brilliant pics. I'm not so much new to spotting but new to photography. I also use the Canon EOS600D with similar lens and an extra 150/500mm Sigma telephoto lens but I'm a fair way from the airport. Aircraft pass over the top here west of Sydney at upwards of 10,000ft from Rwy 34L (and I need to be quick to get them in shot as they travel upwards of 600km/h or so by this stage of climb). If they use Rwy 16R then it's even higher and they arent 'over the top.' And with the larger lens I need to use a tripod to hold the thing, it's so heavy. Looks like I may need to get to the airport for a few decent close up pics. Perhaps I'll wait until they build Badgeries Creek Airport nearby. Keep up the good work.
          Regards,
          Gregg
          Last edited by fungus; 2013-05-31, 01:36.
          YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

Thanks Kelvin, She has a EOS 300D with 18-55 and 70-210 so she should be ok.

I shoot with a EOS 7D and have a multitude of lenses but for today I'll take the same as her.

Gregg a friend of mine has tat Sigma 150-500mm and yep it's a beast, nice bit of kit though.

Comment

Originally posted by Kelvin View Post
              It looks as if take offs and landings tomorrow will be from the East so I would suggest Myrtle Avenue.
              Can I ask how you know this? Also how can I find out this info for LHR, LGW, LCY, LTN and STN?

Comment

My first digital camera was an EOS300D, still have it.
                The telephoto I use is a Sigma 70-300mm and I also have the 18-55mm image stabilised lens that came with the EOS600D.
                I might just go along to Myrtle Ave later today; there is a threat of a spot of sunshine!
                Gregg, get off down to the airport mate!
                You never know, you might get a chance to get something different. Recently I thought an approaching BA A320 looked different. Sure enough, he had no wheels down and went around. When he came back for a second go, the wheels were down but the wheel bay doors were not closed so it was obviously a plane having a spot of bother.
                Re the aircraft speed, I normally take photos of ships. What a difference between a ship moving at 10 to 15 mph and an aircraft coming along at 150 mph!

Comment

Maybe see you later then Kelvin.

We're heading off soon and should be there between 9.30/10am and 14;00/16:00

Comment

Maybe see you there indeed. The weather forecast is showing some sun beginning to peek out at 11:00 and getting better over the next 3 or 4 hours.
                    Cheers

Comment

Indeed it did brighten up did it not?

Did you get any good shots ?

Comment

Its a bit early to say yet as it took me some time to sort them all out!
                        How about you?

Comment

I got a few good ones later on.

480+ images to look through at the moment.

I used the site to locate what planes were on what services but missing a few:

G-YMMJ
                          D-AIQN
                          N171DZ
                          G-EUPM
                          G-ZAPW
                          G-EUYE
                          D-AIDN

Can anyone provide Flight Number and origin point for this planes?

31st May 2013 between 10:00 and 13:30.

Comment

G-YMMJ was BA8 from Tokyo Haneda
                            G-EUPM was a BA A319, flight BA727 from Geneva
                            G-ZAPW was the Titan flight operating BA1307 from Aberdeen.
                            G-EUYE was BA543 from Bologna
                            D-AIDN was LH3374 from Berlin
                            But D-AIQN is a mystery to me!
                            Cheers

Comment

I forgot to mention; N171DZ is shown in the database as wearing the "Habitat for Humanity" livery. Well, I took a photo of this one the next day, leaving for Atlanta and it has the bog standard Delta livery.
                              On the 31st, when you saw it, it was arriving as DL84 from Atlanta.
                              Some of the photos were pretty decent but those taken when the plane flew into the shade of the clouds were a bit "soft".

Update to that; it seems it wasn't N171DZ I saw leaving Heathrow in the bog standard livery.
                              I may have mixed it up with N833MH. Oops!
                              Last edited by Kelvin; 2013-06-02, 18:12.

Comment

Working...
                              X