Contrail spotting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tony15 View Post
    I am surprised that no-one else seems to be a contrail spotter, either that or else they are shy
    There are others and no we're not shy, but we tend to keep things to ourselves as contrail or 'dot' spotting can be very parochial. That's the way I look at it anyway. Others may have other reasons. I'm an avid 'dot-spotter'. I hate cloudy skies or days with low relative humidity (low RH = short or no contrails). I log what I see but I don't post my logs to internet groups or forums which have a worldwide membership because I believe 99% of the members simply are not interested in what's going 'over the top' 5000 or more miles away. Maybe I'm wrong and they're all out there waiting for someone to press the GO button and start the ball rolling. That 'someone' won't be me though.

Each to their own, of course. It would be a boring world if we all did and thought the same.

Keep 'em peeled

The Sage
    Last edited by The Sage of Milton; 2013-07-09, 22:28.

Comment

I think we all look up, see a contrail (or just hear the engine noise) and wonder where that plane is from, going to and who's on it.

Comment

Hi Tony I'm a dot spotter from Wellington in Somerset. I only recently discovered FR24 and have spent lots of time looking up from my back garden towards airway A25 .The traffic comes up from Spain and heads for Bristol and the midlands. I can see some trails over south Wales on G1 and have spotted at a distance of 90 miles or more ( Airbus 380 ) everything else is too small to see on that route.
        I often see the Belugas heading to Hawarden in north Wales and find it interesting to see where the traffic is coming from and going to.
        I'm retired too and have a small farm in Bulgaria near Varna , though I haven't used FR24 out there yet I will be doing so from now on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkeye77 View Post
          I only recently discovered FR24 and have spent lots of time looking up from my back garden towards airway A25 .The traffic comes up from Spain and heads for Bristol and the midlands. I can see some trails over south Wales on G1
          Amber 25 and Green One? Ah, those were the days.
          It looks like someone is working with very out-of-date charts.

New ones, updated every month (the latest one is 27th June) can be seen and/or downloaded here (ERC-10/H is the one for the UK)

Unfortunately, we could not find the page you are looking for. You can use our search function to find related content on our website, or look directly for all our publications in our library.

The Sage

Comment

I am an avid 'Reg Cruncher' living in East London. As well as everything heading for Heathrow via the Lambourne beacon. I also get a continuous stream of contrail flyovers from Europe heading straight for the USA, without a courtesy drop in, to the UK. From where I live I can see them as far away as Southend-on sea and even, on a good day, the eastern extremes of Kent.
            I am eternally grateful for having FR24 on my iMac, an iPad and recently installed on my Samsung Galaxy, I don't bother visiting airports anymore. Like some fellow senior citizen members. I prefer to watch things from the garden, with appropriate liquid sustenance. At any time of the day, there are at least five con trails. Usually, considerably more.
            Where's the profit in world peace? Or a cure for the common cold?

Comment

OK. Someone please explain this to me. Just a moment ago, two aircraft. G-MAJS flying at 31,000ft and N242AU flying at 34,000ft, flew directly overhead, in opposite directions. Infact according to my computer screen. One flew directly under/over the other. The US plane, which I had spotted before, the con trail was clearly visible. Yet the Monarch Airlines jet, which I had never seen. Not only was there no con trail. I couldn't even see the aircraft!

Comment

Also please explain greetings from Polish

Zapraszam na Wzdęcia brzucha
                Last edited by igor; 2013-07-24, 12:34.

Comment

Hello Gents,

I have just joined the Forum so Hello,

I am it seems in good company here as i am retired and use FR24 every day, as i live on the Isle of Grain in Kent i get a lot of flights and it's great to be able to see the details of the aircraft etc,

I have only been using FR24 this year and i wonder why i have not know about it before!!!

Cheers,

Roger.
                  Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Comment

Hi 'OFZ'. Nice to meet another 'wise old soul'. Are you just a watcher? Or a dedicated reg cruncher like myself?
                    One of my favourite times of the day, is in the early morning, watching all the early arrivals to Heathrow, as well as the 'non stopper contrails' coming from your direction, on their way to the USA.
                    I often sit in the garden, on a sunny afternoon. Binoculars and bottle opener at the ready.

Comment

Good Morning Goldfynche,

Yup i'm just a Watcher!

From where you are you see the same aircraft a me and i sit in the garden but with "Coffee" at the ready

I have a few favorites the MD11/747/and the 380's i had a great sight last nite of the Emirate's A380 going out with the Sun shining on her, i just wish i had a decent camera it would have made a great photo,

I do have a pair of Russian Binoculars 20X60 so i can get some good views,

Speak again,

Roger.
                      Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.

Comment

Some of the guys here have taken some brilliant 'up close' con trail shots. Which you have no doubt seen. I do have the equipment and means to take such pictures and am running out of excuses as to why I haven't taken any as yet.

Comment

Hi Goldfynche,

Yes there are some great contrail pictures on here and although it's been a horrible day today next week you will be able to get cracking as the weather is suppose to be good again, so get the sun cream out and the camera! [and the bottle opener at the ready]

All the Best,

Roger.

Comment

Well. I made a dismal attempt to get a con trail shot just now. Definitely not going to post the results. First of all, I've somehow got fluff and dust all over the inside of the Nikon, and it shows on the pictures, and it would appear that a Sigma 170 - 500mm zoom is woefully inadequate for the task. Particularly as the 'Bigma' zoom has the annoying habit of extending or collapsing by itself, depending on the angle it's pointed.

Comment

While sitting at Fairford on Saturday, I saw a few trails overhead so I thought I would "have a go".
                              Using my Canon 650D with a Sigma 70-300mm lens, I just pointed the camera, set to auto focus and was surprised to see this:

Comment

Hi Kelvin,

Well you got a great shot there, i think that's a A340, definitely Lufthansa!

Thanks for posting,

Roger.

Comment

Working...
                                X