Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handley Page Hampden which crashed.

Hi Edgar,

I am interested in the Handley Page Hampden which crashed. Do you know was it 11/08/1940 as I suspect IF it was it should be 49 Squadron L4036 (EA-R) flown from RAF Scampton,

regards

John

Originally posted by Edgar Schlimm View Post
    ...hello Bill,

nice to hear :-)

Where do you know this place "Homert" from? Did you visit it?

Normally there are only just a few farm buildings. But most famous is the historic look-out tower at the highest point.

You can climb up and join a very fine sight over the whole "Sauerland" area...

By the way, there is one remarkable incident: in 1940 a RAF Handley-Page "Hampden" crashed not far away of this look-out tower at night. This was the very first plane crash during WWII here...

Regards

Edgar

Hello John,

excuse me for the long delay. I just replied to the information message, which apparently didnīt work.

yes, this is the Hampden I wrote about. The four crew members were Gower, Jelley, Harris and Baum.

The plane was battle damaged and burning. Alle men were KIA and burried near Luedenscheid. Later they were burried at a war cemetery.

Do you have more special informations or pictures of the crew/plane? I know the crash place. It was the very first crash here in wartime and so the crashplace was researched very carefully to find documents and informations about the target and task. I found a few remains and the place, were the incendiary bombs burnt at the wreck place.

Regards

Edgar

Originally posted by johnbrown View Post
    Hi Edgar,

I am interested in the Handley Page Hampden which crashed. Do you know was it 11/08/1940 as I suspect IF it was it should be 49 Squadron L4036 (EA-R) flown from RAF Scampton,

regards

John

Comment

apologies

sorry I never got back to you sooner. I have been unable to trace any picturs of the crew as I had hoped. I managed to visit RAF Scampton where they took off from and had a very iong interesting guided tour. I have also visited National Archives at Kew and researched the Log Book. I also managed to get a hold of War records and Death certificate
      I had intended to discuss a visit to the crash site this year with you but regrettably due to work commitments...
      Thank you for your advice and I hope to be in touch

Comment

Originally posted by johnbrown View Post
        sorry I never got back to you sooner. I have been unable to trace any picturs of the crew as I had hoped. I managed to visit RAF Scampton where they took off from and had a very iong interesting guided tour. I have also visited National Archives at Kew and researched the Log Book. I also managed to get a hold of War records and Death certificate
        I had intended to discuss a visit to the crash site this year with you but regrettably due to work commitments...
        Thank you for your advice and I hope to be in touch
        Hi Bill,

nice to hear from you again. Of cours I would be glad to get some pictures of the crew and further informations. Yes, we could visit the crash place.

I donated all finds of "my" planes to our local museum, but I am sure it would not be a problem to get there and see the remains I dug out. Interesting was the fact, that the rack with the incendiary bombs was pressed into the ground and burnt at the place. I found a mass looking like a rest of concrete left on a heap mixed with metals. These metals where the head of the shell and the tail cap, some metals of the stabilizer and striker. These parts of a number of bombs was fixed in this "cake"...

Letīs look forward...

Best to you

Edgar

Comment

Working...
        X