Long holding patterns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long holding patterns

I'm not a died in the wool plane spotter, but on the 6-2-2012, between approx 1700Hrs and 18010hrs
    at least 5 passenger liners appeared to be held in holding patterns over Blackburn, Darwen, Horwich.
    I live in Horwich and videod some of the activity. One of the aircraft was a 777 of Pakistan Airways coming in to Manchester from Islamabad and would, I suppose be using up a lot of fuel. I counted at least 5 large, slow circuits, with similar activity for the other aircraft
    I wonder if there was some sort of emergency causing this situation. I have seen this sort of activity, involving one or two aircraft, before. But not 5 plus aircraft for an hour. Can anyone shed light any on this please?

Hi, welcome to the Forum.

I have just checked the aircraft holding on yesterdays playback and it is something you see at Manchester from time to time.
    They swapped the runways in use a few times and even though aircraft where holding. there was also aircraft landing.

Mike / Speedbird
    Last edited by speedbird1960; 2012-02-07, 23:15. Reason: edit
    AMS Daily Fight Information: http://schiphol.dutchplanespotters.nl/

Comment

That hold gets used, normally, when the Lambourne hold is full. Having said that it was in use over the weekend when all the four Heathrow holds were empty!
      Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Thanks for quick reply Mike. I'm not that well up on airport activity, but this seemed quite extreme and must give environmentalist a field day. I'm a hangy pilot and have had 1 or 2 close encounters of the scary kind with various types of aircraft. I'm just glad Winter hill wasn't flyable yesterday in the middle of that lot.
        Yes the 777's pattern play back makes remarkable viewing. It looks like it was trying to weave an aerial web. LoL.

Comment

Ignore my reply, I read you first post as Harwich not Horwich.

All I can blame is age!!!!
          Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Originally posted by Anmer View Post
            Ignore my reply, I read you first post as Harwich not Horwich.

All I can blame is age!!!!
            I know the feeling. If its any consolation, youv'e given me the first chuckle of the day, which is always a good start!
            I pleased to be welcomed into the fold, so to speak, by any replies.
            By the way, I did wonder where Lambourne came into it!!! LoL.
            Hugh, the Railmon.

Comment

Working...
            X