No announcement yet.

Where are all the 'Reg' crunchers then?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are all the 'Reg' crunchers then?

I've been searching for a thread specifically for members who simply want to just collect registrations. I'm not too fussed about aircraft specifications and vital statistics. I just like collecting reg's.
    Being a more 'senior' citizen, I don't bother to go to airports anymore. I just have to look out of my front room window to see everything holding on the Lambourne beacon.
    I have FR24 on my iMac and Plane Finder on the iPhone.
    I first started plane spotting at Croydon airport in the 50's, when the only way to get to Jersey was in a D H Heron or a Dragon Rapide. The 'Jumbo's' of the airport were Transair Dakotas (Pre BUA)
    Where's the profit in world peace? Or a cure for the common cold?

What are you looking for?
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Simply other people who just collect and enthuse about registrations. Isn't that kind of what the forum is all about?

Comment

I would think this forum caters for a broad range of aviation interests.

You'll find lots of other forums for "spotters" if you Google around, typically for local areas and those catering for civil and/or military. The advantage of FR24 is you can use it to help your spotting hobby and cheaper than investing in your own Mode-s Receiver. Spotting an aircraft reg at 30,000 feet is a bit difficult.
        Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

I'm sure it does. I am just trying to find my own little niche, with others with similar aims.

Comment

I have noticed on this site a lot of people are interested in a certain type of a/c and look for those and others are interested in looking for unusaul types, test flights and deliveries.
            Personally I look out for B.A cargo in and out of Stansted EGSSS where I live on the 04 approach, which has just got better with the new 747's

Comment

Yes. I'm looking at Stansted now, on FR24. It looks even busier than Heathrow atm.
              I live at the southern end of the M11
              Last edited by Goldfynche; 2012-02-01, 21:47.

Comment

I'm not sure what happened to the 'reg crunchers' either...

I used to go to Gatwick quite a lot as a kid in the late '60's (Stratocruisers, Connies, CL44D-4's, Ambassadors, Argosi, Caravelle, BAC I-II, Vanguards, Vikings, Viscount, TU 108, Carvair Bristol freighter etc), whenever I could get my dad to drive me there and used to go there later when I had a m/cycle in the 70's (and Biggin with it's Fairflight Heron's andDoves, Red hill etc). Used to see a lot of very interesting types, now mostly in museums, but there were always a fair number of kids about with binoculars and small scopes with the latest Ian Allan reggie books at the ready..

I think that as the majority of 'people carrying' aircraft types became so similar (like Eurobox cars) there may be less fascination for reggie spotting 'per se', although there aremany other reasons for maintaining an interest (new types, colour schemes, photography).. certainly as I have become older and more financially 'freer', I now have time to indulge in once forgotten pursuits (I could never really justify an expensive camera and lens) and now find myself not so much reggie spotting as photographing.

I am sure others now growing older and coming out from under the veil of mortgage and marriage and finding time on their hands through retirement may also wish to revisit the theme.

I wish I had kept my old log books as I could have no end of fun running an Excel spread sheet or two..

Comment

Yes. I dumped all my old 'Ian Allans' too. A much regretted error.
                  Also. As a now retired wedding photographer. I have a considerable collection of Nikon equipment which doesn't see the light of day as often as it should.
                  But I would be delighted if the crunchers could have a thread to meet, discuss what we've seen. And the planes we keep missing.

Comment

I am up in Central Scotland atm, so the only aerial activity we see are distant con trails of transatlantic flights or the occasional EZ to Inverness. No problem identifying them though with the help of FR.

Comment

Just got back from Scotland a short while ago. Perfect weather all the way down. Hundreds of Con trails which I had to ignore while I drove. Copped a couple at Scotch Corner services when I stopped for a break.

Comment

It has never occurred to me until just now. How much of a 'Fair weather' activity, plane spotting actually is.
                        On a bright clear day, I can hardly keep up with the activity around my house. Hurriedly scribbling down reg's on anything that comes to hand.
                        By the time they have been around Lambourne a couple of times. When they pass over my back garden, they are always at 5,000ft-ish.
                        But on a dull overcast day. The clouds inevitably seem to maintain a constant 4,500ft FL. I can hear them passing so close. But can't see a thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldfynche View Post
                          But can't see a thing.
                          Hence the emergence of the Mode-S receiver.
                          Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

I don't really see the advantage of such an expensive piece of kit, when you still can't physically see the plane.
                            I am happy with FR24 (Apples version)on the Mac. For some reason, the forum version won't show any aircraft on the Mac. Although it works perfectly well on my PC laptop.
                            And I go by the policy that as long as I have visibly seen the plane and FR24 has identified it. That is a catch. That includes 30,000ft fly overs.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldfynche View Post
                              I don't really see the advantage of such an expensive piece of kit
                              Each to one's own but one advantage of having a Mode-S receiver (and there are low cost options available now) is it doesn't require and Internet connection and will cover aircraft at lower altitudes that one further away feeding FR24 or other data sharing networks.
                              Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Working...
                              X