Newcastle Airport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newcastle Airport

I have recently come across flightradar24 and can't help but notice that there are virtually no airplanes shown in and around the Newcastle air space (my local airport). My natural assumption is that they don't have ADS-B on board or is there another reason ?
    Alec

The airport website shows a good mix and easyjet, Ryanair and Jet2 should be (nearly) all ADS-B equipped.

But if there's no feed to Flightradar24 from that location or nearby, that may explain why you see so little.

Maybe check the airport website for easyjet and/or Ryanair movements and then see if the appear at departure and arrival times, The actual times will probably be 10-20 mins after the published ones.
    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

I see, so nobody around here is uploading to the server that would explain the lack of aircraft. I was nearly tempted to get a radar box but the price puts me off.
      Alec

Comment

Originally posted by FraserSoft View Post
        I see, so nobody around here is uploading to the server that would explain the lack of aircraft. I was nearly tempted to get a radar box but the price puts me off.
        Alec
        I don't have access to a list of uploaders, there may be one in the Newcastle area, albeit not 24x7. There definitely isn't one on my MMS2 network which feeds Flightradar24.

Second hand virtual radar receivers (SBS-1 or RadarBox) can be found on eBay for around £200-£250. Or there's the new PlaneGadget at £199 or the Aurora Eurotech for £300.

To compare them all there's a Check List on Radarspotters:

ModeS Receiver & Software Check List
        Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

As a Newcastle spotter I share your fustration, however I'd say 90% of the flights are covered (being that they are mainly 737's and 75's and AIB. The others that don't get picked up generally belong to Eastern and Flyby and other airlines operating non-ADS-B equipped aircraft. EK sometimes gets picked up depending on it's arrival path. (generally an approach south from the tyne can be picked up until it drops below 10,000ft agl where as anything north from the airport (including over the North sea and over Northumberland struggles to get picked up (Hence the possibility to miss the Emirates as it flies and descends under radar over the North sea) So it could be a worthwhile investment if you live north of Newcastle/ the Tyne as it would show flights over the North, however South of the tyne you can usually pick them up as they descend (usually lose contact over Durham)

Hope that helps

Rupert

Comment

Thanks Rupert I'm located in Tynemouth and have the chance of borrowing a Radar Box from a friend of mine and hope to get it hooked up in the next week and will start uploading data as soon as possible.

Comment

That's great! be sure to notify us when you have it set up to see if we can get a better signal!

Thanks!

Comment

I will do I just need to persuade my friend to find the bits and pieces so I can pop around and collect it. I have a Royal Discone on a mast on my chimney which is supposed to be good to 1300mhz and I am assuming it will be better than the little aerial the box comes with.

Comment

ahh right that's cool! hopefully we'll be able to track them right down to landing! and back up again!

Comment

Originally posted by FraserSoft View Post
                    I will do I just need to persuade my friend to find the bits and pieces so I can pop around and collect it. I have a Royal Discone on a mast on my chimney which is supposed to be good to 1300mhz and I am assuming it will be better than the little aerial the box comes with.
                    From what I've read those scanner antenna aren't any good for 1090mhz signals. You can but try.
                    Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Thanks Mike I have had a listen on my Icom IC-R 7000 scanner on 1090 and do get reasonable bursts on that so I am hopefull for the Radar Box on the Discone. I would probably put up a proper outdoor aerial if it was my own radar Box but as it's just a loan I will make the best of what I have.
                      Alec

Comment

Working...
                      X