drone flying across multiple states

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drone flying across multiple states

I have been tracking a drone on the map for several days and I am really surprised to see it flying from NY to NH or MA on a regular basis. Today it's flying from White Plains, NY to Boston, MA and back. I thought drones had a 3 or 4 mile range. Is this some kind of super drone? Any ideas as to what I am seeing or where I might get more info?

If you'd like to check it out yourself, the registration is N12345.

Thanks,
    Sid

N12345 is allocated as a drone.

but multiple aircraft fake their registration/transponder and use it as a 'test'.

IE, what it says it is. probably Isn't
    Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

Thanks for the response Oblivian! I thought there might be something fishy with the registration as N12345 seems awfully convient.

Why might an aircraft fake its transponders? Is this any kind of violation of flying rules?

Thanks,
      Sid

Comment

It's against the normal ICAO agreements - to have a working transponder, accurate and no duplicates.

But as you can see by the history, People all over europe seem to ignore it. Has regularly been on a cessna 208 too.

The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.

Brazil, Italy, Mexico, UK.

Brazil and Mexico is no surprise. They buy ex-US aircraft and don't bother reprogramming them and just start flying so there are hundereds of duplicate US contacts.

All the 9Kxxx callsigns are merged in Cape Air Flights. Boston-Lebanon. So one of them is obviously programmed wrong.

The world’s most popular flight tracker. Track planes in real-time on our flight tracker map and get up-to-date flight status & airport information.
        Last edited by Oblivian; 2020-11-26, 00:24.
        Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

AirMe has fun dealing with these sort of scenarios.

Because the system auto-decodes USA HEX->Reg so can't be 'removed' as such.

So even though someone in Brazil now owns it (since 2009), and has not gone and got a PP/PR- registration, or reprorammed it. It still appears as a US aircraft. But If reissued will be a duplicate that then can't be handled.

exported.PNG

Comment

Working...
          X