Binocular advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Binocular advice

Does anyone have a point of view on the Celestron 15x70 binoculars for runway and high altitude viewing?
    thanks

In my experience, high powered binoculars are useless for viewing aircraft at altitude. The higher the magnification, the geater the movement when observing an aircraft. For 15 times magnification, one needs a tripod and using one to follow a moving aircraft, at altitude, is pretty hard. And the high magnification binoculars tend to be heavier and less comfortable to use.

I have a pair of 25x100, tripod mounted binoculars. Great for watching ships at sea or the moon and planets. Not so good for aircraft. Instead I use a pair of Canon image stabilised 10x30. The stabilisation makes up for the magnification. My Canon IS 18x50 are much heavier and, when the wife's not looking, I'll treat myself to a pair of Canon IS 10x42.

The bottom line is find a good retailer and try out as many as you can. You may be surprised at the differences. I have an early post-war German pair, 6x30. Very light and comfortable with good optics. Far better than the Swift 10x50 I thought would be an improvement. But that was before image stabilisation became affordable.

Mike

www.radarspotting.com

Radarspotting since 2005

Comment

Thanks for the advice Mike. It I already have some 10x42, was looking for something more powerful and don’t mind using a tripod
      I was thinking of using it for stargazing too. I will take them to the airport but won’t be looking the aircraft for a long period of time. Still torn between 12x60 and 15x70. I sway towards the 15x as I think the x12 would be too similar to my 10x
      Cheers

Comment

Working...
      X