This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by solitaire69 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the area where the debris was found +/- above the deepest point of the Indian Ocean - Diamantina Deep?
    That is what I noticed, as well. I also noticed that this region is coded red for the presence of great white sharks. See link below. If the plane went down here, unfortunately, the sharks probably have the passengers.

Numbers of great white sharks and associated with whale migration and fatal attacks off Western Australia beaches.

Comment

• Originally posted by JinbaIttai View Post
      Someone (Scott Henderson aka @_AntiAlias_ on Twitter) put together this composite map showing arcs for each hourly ping, and shows how it leads to the area the Aussies were asked to search:

https://twitter.com/_AntiAlias_/stat.../photo/1/large
      I can see why the Aussies would take this lead so seriously, even if the debris doesn't look much from the photographs. That area would be right at the extremities of the plane's range given the satellite and fuel information given.

Comment

• Originally posted by Exadios View Post
        Actually it was the NTSB and Inmarsat.
        Thank you for the correction.

Comment

• Originally posted by MIT EE View Post
          ... dispensed with the need for an acoustic coupler ...
          Sorry, this reminiscing is waaay OT, but I'd like to add that in the late 70's I worked for Tandy (US: Radio Shack) in the UK. I was tasked with looking at the P.O's Prestel system. I built a simple, low cost, working prototype of a line transformer based adaptor that diectly connected a phone line to a TRS-80 Model 1's audio cassete port. With some Z-80 assembly code it operated at 1200 baud down and 75! baud up. It was out of my hands after that but I believe phone company politics prevented it becoming a saleable product :/ They were selling their own set-top box.

Back to MH370...
          Last edited by MartH; 2014-03-20, 11:16. Reason: typo

Comment

• Thank you

Thank you to those who are posting this latest information re MH370, especially some of the graphical stuff. It is helping a lot in understanding the current situation.

Comment

• Originally posted by MartH View Post
              Sorry, this reminiscing is waaay OT, but I'd like to add that in the late 70's I worked for Tandy (US: Radio Shack) in the UK. I was tasked with looking at the P.O's Prestel system. I built a simple, low cost, working prototype of a line transformer based adaptor that diectly connected a phone line to a TRS-80 Model 1's audio cassete port. With some Z-80 assembly code it operated at 1200 baud down and 75! baud up. It was out of my hands after that but I believe phone company politics prevented it becoming a saleable product :/ The were selling their own set-top box.

Back to MH370...
              Yes, sorry about the OT post. I remember the Prestel, Z-80 and TRS-80 well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Flybywire View Post
                I can see why the Aussies would take this lead so seriously, even if the debris doesn't look much from the photographs. That area would be right at the extremities of the plane's range given the satellite and fuel information given.
                It seems the Northern track could only be possible "incognito" - ie if it were a zombie plane on autopilot until is crashed the northern routes are EXTREMELY dense with air traffic and radar, there is no way it could go unnoticed. The southern arc though has practically no air traffic or radar so its quite conceivable it could fly on autopilot that way and crash into the sea going complteley unnoticed all the way.

Comment

• Some of the TV 'experts" are speculating that the 24 meter piece found could be part of a container or other junk. A 24 meters piece is a pretty big piece of debris, in fact longer than even a cricket pitch which measures 22 yards. 24 meters/78 feet and would also seem to exceed any container dimensions:

Container Dimensions:

777 Tech Specs/Dimensions:

Comment

I for one am glad that the Aussies are here. Doing a great job, so far. There were only 6 Australians on-board and it commendable that the Australian govie has gotten involved to the extent that they have. The actions of Australia are a striking contrast to the behavior of the neighborhood bully, China.
                    The area is in Australia's "search and rescue zone" (which seems to cover 3/4 of the planet - ha ha) so they are obliged to search. Searches in this area have happened before.

Comment

• Yeah, no doubt this could be just junk, our guys said this from the outset, BUT, there is a possibility it could be relevant to MH370, so, we have to check it out to confirm. If its junk, we keep using satellite resources and good old fashioned fly byes. The great pity about its estimated location is it is a long way from Australia and I suspect equally far from Diego Garcia military base, so either way a lot of travel time with little search time. Maybe through the night their radars might find some thing.

Comment

Some of the TV 'experts" are speculating that the 24 meter piece found could be part of a container or other junk. A 24 meters piece is a pretty big piece of debris, in fact longer than even a cricket pitch which measures 22 yards. 24 meters/78 feet and would also seem to exceed any container dimensions:

Container Dimensions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777
                        If the photo of the larger piece is representative then it cannot be a container.

There is a ship on site now but unfortunately it is dark at that longitude. It will have to wait to see if a plane can pick anything up in about 12 h. Of course the sun may come up on the ship in the middle of a debris field.

Comment

• Originally posted by POR911 View Post
                          Yeah, no doubt this could be just junk, our guys said this from the outset, BUT, there is a possibility it could be relevant to MH370, so, we have to check it out to confirm. If its junk, we keep using satellite resources and good old fashioned fly byes. The great pity about its estimated location is it is a long way from Australia and I suspect equally far from Diego Garcia military base, so either way a lot of travel time with little search time. Maybe through the night their radars might find some thing.
                          Diego Garcia is nearly on the equator iirc. Its much further. Out of the question.

Comment

Some of the TV 'experts" are speculating that the 24 meter piece found could be part of a container or other junk. A 24 meters piece is a pretty big piece of debris, in fact longer than even a cricket pitch which measures 22 yards. 24 meters/78 feet and would also seem to exceed any container dimensions:

Container Dimensions:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_777
                            It's very late here in Australia and my nurse has already suggested (in very strong terms) that it's time I was turning in for the night but I felt compelled to respond to your post. I hence apologise for any slight inaccuracies (if there are any) but I think you'll find on going over the latest posts regarding this incident that the post in question was referring to a briefing held by AMSA (Australian Maritime Safety Authority) and perhaps other just as reliable sources, not any "TV experts" from so-called news reports. There was no 'speculation' in his post that I could see, if it is indeed the post you were referring to.. It may have been handy to actually reference it. From what I can find there was only the one post referring to the 24 metre piece of ... 'whatever it turns out to be.'

I referred to some news reports in my earlier first post on the subject but backed those up (where I was able) with links, references or factual information. Some turned out to be accurate, some did not but certainly not through any fault of my doing. That's the nature of this 'fluid' situation. The Australian, New Zealand and US personnel involved in this search have only one goal in mind- finding the missing aircraft in whatever form it is at present. It's been likened to searching for a needle in a haystack- only the haystack's location isnt exactly pinpointed (yet) and the state of the needle (or it's remaining pieces) is unknown. It's a MASSIVE job. Never mind all the other ever changing circumstances.

I think shooting the messenger here on the forum is a little unfair. He did say we need to sit back, wait and see what they find and confirm (if I can paraphrase his comment-I'm a tad too tired to try to find it to quote word for word). Wise words though from him in fact. I do apologise if I've got the incorrect post but it would be helpful in these situations, as I said, if they were referenced in future.

I do however agree that it is time some of the more wild speculation and theories ceased. Search and Rescue work is difficult enough without all the added unnecessary rubbish that goes with it. We do our absolute best to report facts as they are presented to us here on the forum.

Regards,
                            Gregg
                            Last edited by fungus; 2014-03-20, 13:20.
                            YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

• hello, new to this and was doing some searching on flightrader.. just wondering can anyone tell me why a sister plane to the one thats missing also went off rader aprox 24 hours later..?? "not too up on these things so forgive me".... below is the plane in question, have 3 stills of it.. reg is 9M-MRQ, also flight MH370

time and date showing in this picture

callsign, reg etc etc seen in this picture

then it goes off radar "check date and the time"

just curious really, watched this plane take off from kuala lumpur then it just goes off radar..???
                              Last edited by corofin12345; 2014-03-20, 13:12.

Comment

• One big issue for the search aircraft and satellites has been the poor visibility, which is typical at this time of the year as we transition from Summer into Autumn (known as Fall in the States). Weather models show very little improvement until mid next week, so we could be waiting awhile.
                                F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

Working...
                                X