This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by zed View Post
    Having 3 planes go to investigate based on those grainy images seems ludicrous, so I'm guessing they are privy to higher res images or have more information than what we have at this moment.
    Zed,

If you're referring to the search aircraft, one P3 is/has returned to Perth WA, one P3 has remained on station in the search area and one P3 (from New Zealand) is due to depart Perth at 20:00Hrs. Perhaps when the full info is available, not so ludicrous. As was pointed out in a previous post they can only remain at the site for a limited period of time. Also as well as (RAN) HMAS Success heading to the area as I noted earlier, a merchant ship is also on the way;

RAAF C130J Hercs are also involved in the search.

And, rightly enough we the general public will be and should be the last to receive information about any of their observations and/or findings.

Regards,
    Gregg
    Last edited by fungus; 2014-03-20, 09:30. Reason: updated info
    YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

• Trying to access the higher res released to the media, ones published by the ABC are limited to their own size. Though seems Australian Government sites are under a heavy load ATM.
      F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• Originally posted by YSWG View Post
        Trying to access the higher res released to the media, ones published by the ABC are limited to their own size. Though seems Australian Government sites are under a heavy load ATM.
        Yes indeed, I've tried many times to access the AMSA site in order to get a link to the earlier info I posted re their briefing to no avail.

Regards,
        Gregg
        YSSY2/T-YSSY4 [SBS-1 Basestation w/- SSE-1090 SJ Mk2 Antenna (Thanks Delcomp) ] [Uniden UBCD996T w/- 16 element Wideband Discone VHF/UHF Antenna, and tuned 108MHz-137MHz Airband Antenna] [Trialing a home-brew 1090MHz collinear antenna]

Comment

• The AMSA site has some very heavy load ATM, so have mirrored the images on Flickr.

Higher res images

Source: https://www.amsa.gov.au/media/incide...370-search.asp
          F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• Originally posted by fungus View Post
            Zed,

If you're referring to the search aircraft, one P3 is/has returned to Perth WA, one P3 has remained on station in the search area and one P3 (from New Zealand) is due to depart Perth at 20:00Hrs. Perhaps when the full info is available, not so ludicrous. As was pointed out in a previous post they can only remain at the site for a limited period of time. Also as well as (RAN) HMAS Success heading to the area as I noted earlier, a merchant ship is also on the way.

And, rightly enough we the general public will be and should be the last to receive information about any of their observations and/or findings.

Regards,
            Gregg
            I took their timing as being overlap shuttles. To be able to keep someone searching the whole time, stagger their departures to overlap a little. Shes a looooong ride out. Over 3hrs. 2600kms from shore to only have 2hrs to search
            Posts not to be taken as official support representation - Just a helpful uploader who tinkers

Comment

• You can see what the weather they have to deal with on the MODIS images. Hope it improves in the next 12 to 24 hours.
              F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• Originally posted by Beggarman View Post
                John Young, general manager for the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA), said at a press conference in Canberra yesterday that an extended analysis of consecutive "pings" from the MH370 had been made in order to produce a better estimate of the aircraft's flight path.

Further more, he asserted that the updated flight path estimate could be mirrored at the equator, to show a corresponding possible northern route, based om the same data.

(See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_O9gUgWV6U&t=8m51s)

I've thus made a (quick-n-dirty) graphic estimate of what that refined northern corridor would look like (click on the image for a larger version).

As you can see, the new path is a bit different than what has been posted earlier (i.e. the arc based only on the last received "ping").

From the Bay of Bengal, the path roughly follows the border of India and Bangladesh, continues north in between Nepal and Bhutan (still over a part of India), crosses a 2,000-some kilometer part of western China, and ends in the north-west region of China, in the areas bordering to Kazakhstan.

Thank you for posting this. Answers, my earlier question as to whether or not the Malays had taken the earlier pings into account when they put out those two arcs. Clearly, they had not, glad that the Aussies turned up!!

Comment

• Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the area where the debris was found +/- above the deepest point of the Indian Ocean - Diamantina Deep?

Comment

• Originally posted by MIT EE View Post
                    Thank you for posting this. Answers, my earlier question as to whether or not the Malays had taken the earlier pings into account when they put out those two arcs. Clearly, they had not, glad that the Aussies turned up!!
                    Actually it was the NTSB and Inmarsat.

Comment

• I finally managed to get onto the AMSA website and the following is a copy of their briefing at 15:30Hrs Australian eastern daylight savings time re their search area for MH370;

"Media Enquiries: 1300 624 633

20th March, 2014: 1530(AEDT)
                      Search operation for Malaysian airlines aircraft: Update 6
                      Statement from AMSA Emergency Response Division General Manager John Young
                      *All times express in Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time.
                      The Australian Maritime Safety Authority is coordinating the search for the missing Malaysia Airlines aircraft, with assistance from the Australian Defence Force, the New Zealand Air Force and the United States Navy.
                      AMSA’s Rescue Coordination Centre Australia has received satellite imagery of objects possibly related to the search for the missing aircraft, flight MH370.
                      RCC Australia received an expert assessment of commercial satellite imagery on Thursday.
                      The images were captured by satellite. They may not be related to the aircraft.
                      The assessment of these images was provided by the Australian Geospatial-Intelligence Organisation as a possible indication of debris south of the search area that has been the focus of the search operation.
                      The imagery is in the vicinity of the search area defined and searched in the past two days.
                      Four aircraft have been reoriented to the area 2500 kilometres south-west of Perth as a result of this information.
                      A Royal Australian Air Force Orion aircraft arrived in the area about 1.50pm.
                      A further three aircraft have been tasked by RCC Australia to the area later today, including a Royal New Zealand Air Force Orion and United States Navy P8 Poseidon aircraft.
                      The Poseidon aircraft is expected to arrive at 3pm. The second RAAF Orion is expected to depart at 2pm from RAAF Base Pearce and arrive in the search area at 6pm.
                      The New Zealand Orion is due to depart at 4pm and be in the search area at 8pm.
                      A RAAF C-130 Hercules aircraft has been tasked by RCC Australia to drop datum marker buoys.
                      These marker buoys assist RCC Australia by providing information about water movement to assist in drift modelling. They will provide an ongoing reference point if the task of relocating the objects becomes protracted.
                      A merchant ship that responded to a shipping broadcast issued by RCC Australia on Monday is expected to arrive in the area about 6pm.
                      Royal Australian Navy ship HMAS Success is en route to the area but is some days away from this area.
                      She is well equipped to recover any objects located and proven to be from MH370.
                      The focus for AMSA is to continue the search operation, with all available assets.

The assets are searching for anything signs of the missing aircraft.
                      Weather conditions are moderate in the Southern Indian Ocean where the search is taking place.
                      Poor visibility has been reported.
                      AMSA continues to hold grave concerns for the passengers and crew on board.
                      E: media@amsa.gov.au
                      Media materials are available in electronic form here:
                      http://www.amsa.gov.au/media/incidents/mh370-search.asp"

You may note from the above that my earlier info re the arrival/departure of the New Zealand P3 has been shown to be incorrect. Oops. Such is the domain of seeking such information these days. Please note again 'possible .... debris.' Apologies if the link has been posted previously unknown to me.

Regards,
                      Gregg
                      Last edited by fungus; 2014-03-20, 10:09.

Comment

• An Air Force plane has just returned but unable to locate the debris. Source: ABC news

Comment

• I'll be surprised if they located it on the first day, could take a few days.
                          F-YSWG1 and T-YSWG2

Comment

• Originally posted by Speed Daemon View Post
                            LOL...when I was in college we used terminals in the basement to connect to VAX hosts running AT&T UNIX (w/BSD extensions, of course), and from there we connected to other hosts. I can't remember what the network was called back then, but it was an early version of the Internet. I had an Apple II back then too.

I've worked at places with X.25 and Frame Relay WAN hookups. I gladly left that to the networking people! Before DSL became widespread, I had ISDN at home, and could connect to work via a blazing 128kbps 2xBRI connection. My dial-up ISP allowed a single BRI at no extra charge, but charged a lot for a 2xBRI bonded channel. Those were the days...
                            If you think back, D.C. Hayes came out with the Micromodem II for the Apple II which dispensed with the need for an acoustic coupler and made possible the increase in speed from 110/300 Baud to a blazing 1200/2400 Baud. Overtime, like you, I graduated to ISDN and the Motorola Bitsurfer Pro and my re-collection about Telco ISDN charges is similar to yours. Though, electronics, computers, amateur radio has been an interest of mine since I was 12 years old, I haven't been professionally involved in the field (if you exclude the Tech Hedge fund that I run) since completing my graduate studies. So, if I make mistakes while commenting on technical issues please excuse them.

BTW, the Source was the first Internet like online service, it cost $3 an hour and you had to dial their node in Virginia. A phone call from Cambridge to McLean back then cost even more. This is where Tymnet, Telenet came in, they had local nodes that you could dial and not have to pay for a long distance call in addition to the online charges.

Comment

• Originally posted by whatsgoingonhere View Post
                              We have been known to spin a yarn or two Oblivian .....but definitely not when it comes to these situations.
                              I for one am glad that the Aussies are here. Doing a great job, so far. There were only 6 Australians on-board and it commendable that the Australian govie has gotten involved to the extent that they have. The actions of Australia are a striking contrast to the behavior of the neighborhood bully, China.

Comment

• Someone (Scott Henderson aka @_AntiAlias_ on Twitter) put together this composite map showing arcs for each hourly ping, and shows how it leads to the area the Aussies were asked to search:

- Matt
                                T-YPPH2

Comment

Working...
                                X